Indiana show canceled!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god are some people selfish.

Unfortunately the people that was absolutely pissed about this, are speaking more about how miserable they are as a person, rather than anything Wilco related.

I don't like going there on a more personal level, but really, a Wilco concert is a very tiny blip compared to some of these issues. It's either you don't see the big picture, or that you agree with what's going on.

I hope someone is compiling a list of some of the comments from Facebook, etc. Here's my new favorite: "the whining lyrics that drip from mouths that appear to suffer from Novocaine injections can't even begin to pass for 'music'." Jeff is going to have a field day with this stuff at that solo show in May!

My god are some people selfish.

Unfortunately the people that was absolutely pissed about this, are speaking more about how miserable they are as a person, rather than anything Wilco related.

I don't like going there on a more personal level, but really, a Wilco concert is a very tiny blip compared to some of these issues. It's either you don't see the big picture, or that you agree with what's going on.

You say you don't like to go there and then you do.  You don't know me and I don't know you, so I won't judge.  

You are correct, cancelling this show is certainly a tiny blip, THIS ONE SHOW DOESN'T MEAN SHIT.  I've seen Wilco perform the same songs again and again and will live VERY HAPPY without ever hearing them again.  Remember this is a fan board, there are many in this state that only get a chance once or twice every ten years to see this band on local turf.  It's about cancelling one date on these grounds, while the entire leg of this tour is going through many places with very similar, although not exactly the same, laws with politicians with similar thoughts.  

I hope someone is compiling a list of some of the comments from Facebook, etc. Here's my new favorite: "the whining lyrics that drip from mouths that appear to suffer from Novocaine injections can't even begin to pass for 'music'." Jeff is going to have a field day with this stuff at that solo show in May!

LOL! I knew the trolls would infiltrate VC after this but you're right about the Tweedy comment fodder! 

Oh cry me a fucking river. They're playing two shows less than a two hour drive from Indy. I wish I were as fortunate, shows on the West Coast are always 5-7 hours apart from one another.

Sounds like a well executed plan by Wilco to weed out all the homophobes and self-absorbed babies from their fan base. 

The Indiana law has some differences, and even if those differences aren't egregious, Indiana politicians are the dumb asses who thrusted this through at this time and place in history. It's no wonder that people (and Wilco) are reacting to it the way they are. If the fallout is making die-hard fans drive an hour or two further to see them this go around, fair enough. 

I'm not an expert on how politically savvy this move is (vs. holding the show and using that as the soapbox), but who can fault them for at least trying? Unless you are a homophobe or otherwise defend in discrimination. Or can't get over yourself.

Oh cry me a fucking river. They're playing two shows less than a two hour drive from Indy. I wish I were as fortunate, shows on the West Coast are always 5-7 hours apart from one another.

Sounds like a well executed plan by Wilco to weed out all the homophobes and self-absorbed babies from their fan base. 

Correct, we could drive two hours to Cincy or Louisville or any other place like I've done 30 + times.  At this point I really don't even care if I go, all these shows will be the same plus or minus 1 or 2 songs.  Tickets are still available on Live Nation so maybe our wonderful rock star comedian will tell us April Fools tomorrow, who cares.  THE POINT IS, if your gonna call out Indiana and do this, then do it for the entire leg of the tour that is going through some very similar places with as worse or even worse ass backward politicians.    By the way, nice screen name, MMJ REALLY IS THE BEST BAND AROUND NOW A DAYS.

You say you don't like to go there and then you do.  You don't know me and I don't know you, so I won't judge.  

You are correct, cancelling this show is certainly a tiny blip, THIS ONE SHOW DOESN'T MEAN SHIT.  I've seen Wilco perform the same songs again and again and will live VERY HAPPY without ever hearing them again.  Remember this is a fan board, there are many in this state that only get a chance once or twice every ten years to see this band on local turf.  It's about cancelling one date on these grounds, while the entire leg of this tour is going through many places with very similar, although not exactly the same, laws with politicians with similar thoughts.  

....so basically you're upset you can't see Wilco. Cool dude.

THE POINT IS, if your gonna call out Indiana and do this, then do it for the entire leg of the tour that is going through some very similar places with as worse or even worse ass backward politicians.    By the way, nice screen name, MMJ REALLY IS THE BEST BAND AROUND NOW A DAYS.

....so basically you're upset you can't see Wilco. Cool dude.

JUST READ THE PART I QUOTED FOR YOU, O K . .

and here it is o n e  m o r e  t i m e THE POINT IS, if your gonna call out Indiana and do this, then do it for the entire leg of the tour that is going through some very similar places with as worse or even worse ass backward politicians. 

and by the way, if they were doing this for the entire leg, THEN I WOULD BE JUMPING UP AND DOWN SAYING that is the Wilco I LOVE! ! !

and here it is o n e  m o r e  t i m e THE POINT IS, if your gonna call out Indiana and do this, then do it for the entire leg of the tour that is going through some very similar places with as worse or even worse ass backward politicians. 

and by the way, if they were doing this for the entire leg, THEN I WOULD BE JUMPING UP AND DOWN SAYING that is the Wilco I LOVE! ! !

No, you wouldn't. You're whining because the show you wanted to go to got cancelled. As I said, you're either in agreement with what Indiana is doing, or you don't care and are only concerned with seeing a show.

I read what you posted, but you seem to be ignoring everyone else that's trying to explain how the Indiana phrasing has a twist to it that differentiates it from the others. But why would you listen to that? You just want to see a show.

This is just my opinion, but I think it would be a good idea for us to chill out on this topic. We've obviously got a former fan here who is upset and I don't see where baiting him is helping anything. Sometimes people get incredibly riled up and there's no calming them down, and everyone seems to be talking at cross purposes. Seems to me the issues are clear, and whether everyone is adknowledging them or not, it's not going to help to keep piling on.

It looks like Indiana will be adding the 'anti-discriminatory' language to the bill  - so maybe the show will go on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-indiana-religious-freedom-law-20150331-story.html

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence said Tuesday that he wants legislation on his desk by the end of the week to clarify that the state's new religious-freedom law does not allow discrimination against gays and lesbians.

This is just my opinion, but I think it would be a good idea for us to chill out on this topic. We've obviously got a former fan here who is upset and I don't see where baiting him is helping anything. Sometimes people get incredibly riled up and there's no calming them down, and everyone seems to be talking at cross purposes. Seems to me the issues are clear, and whether everyone is adknowledging them or not, it's not going to help to keep piling on.

Oops. Sorry.  I think you're right.  I'm done.

No, you wouldn't. You're whining because the show you wanted to go to got cancelled. As I said, you're either in agreement with what Indiana is doing, or you don't care and are only concerned with seeing a show.

I read what you posted, but you seem to be ignoring everyone else that's trying to explain how the Indiana phrasing has a twist to it that differentiates it from the others. But why would you listen to that? You just want to see a show.

Yes lets decide how/to what level of discriminationa person or state is and then we draw the line.  So so, yes we will visit, completely off the hinges, OK we will punish the fans that are likely as liberal as us and have helped us succeed.  

Yes, starting down the road of a former fan. But it's OK, like Louie B said, my two tickets don't mean much.  And what the hell, the band can voice their opinion, but for gods sake the fans can't.

It looks like Indiana will be adding the 'anti-discriminatory' language to the bill  - so maybe the show will go on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-indiana-religious-freedom-law-20150331-story.html

I have two tickets in the 20th row...any takers, looks like WILCO made a difference.

I always shook my head a little back in 2007/8 when Mr. Tweedy would go on (and on and on) about red states and blue states and then sing:

And if you're trying to paint a picture
But you're not sure which colors belong
Just paint what you see
Don't let anyone say it's wrong

EDIT: I meant to post this on the Politics 2015 thread, but I guess it kind of fits here, too.

Just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it fact, the Indiana law is NOTHING like the laws in the other states, the other states laws PREVENT discrimination, the Indiana not only allows it, but has provisions in it to preemptively prohibit lawsuits because of it, that's pretty messed up.  The Governor said that "tolerance is a two way street", so the law is intended to protect the religious rights of those who are intolerant.

All that being said I believe it was probably a bad idea to cancel the show, it really only hurts their fans, probably turning the whole thing into a benefit would have been more productive.

The point is moot regardless, looks like the state is caving and will attempt to repair the law.