Three Most Underrated Wilco Songs?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interpreting underrated to mean "worthy songs that don't get as much love or respect as they deserve." By those standards, I would name:

That's Not the Issue

On and On and On

Standing O

I'll insert my usual caveat that tomorrow I might have an entirely different list, but these are the songs I'm thinking of tonight. I think the last two really come alive when they're played in concert. As for That's Not the Issue, I've always loved the sly humor in that song, but it sure doesn't get played often. 

Hmmmm...I'm like Wilco Me, in that my choices depend on what day you ask me (or even what hour) but I think these are worthy contenders:

More Like the Moon - So pretty it makes me swoony

Handshake Drugs - I find this song addictive (no pun intended), especially live

and I'll join you in the criminally underrated Wishful Thinking

That said, I have to add that I appreciate so much how Wilco have opened up their vast catalog and are playing all of these at least now and again!

I must chime in on "Wishful Thinking" - we were doing some spring cleaning yesterday afternoon and a live version came up on the shuffle....my daughter said immediately, 'dad, this is the Wilco, right?" i snuck a repeat in.

Yes on on "You Are My Face"

I find "one Sunday Morning' to be comforting and hypnotic, in the , umm, morning.

Of course, tomorrow, i might feel different. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll feel different.

Oh yes, Kidsmoke, More Like the Moon! Why oh why don't they ever play that one? It's so beautiful.

And Wishful Thinking is one of my favorite songs (see my signature line) but why are you all calling it underrated? I think of it as a well-loved song, both by the fans and by the band. It's played fairly often. Who dares disagree?  :headbonk

It's hard for me to really gauge what is underrated, but off the top of my head these are three songs that I think belong in any conversation of best Wilco songs, but never seem to be brought up that often:

Hotel Arizona

Side With the Seeds

Too Far Apart

Handshake Drugs - I find this song addictive (no pun intended), especially live

Coolest part about Handshake Drugs? The tempo is perfect for walking with purpose, like, I suppose, when meeting someone to buy some drugs downtown. Not that I've done that recently...now days, it just puts a spring in my step early in the morning when walking from the bus stop to the office! It's a nice moderate pace that gets you where you need to go without looking hurried or suspicious  :shifty. I like to think they did that on purpose because nerdy song composition makes me happy.   

Oh yes, Kidsmoke, More Like the Moon! Why oh why don't they ever play that one? It's so beautiful.

And Wishful Thinking is one of my favorite songs (see my signature line) but why are you all calling it underrated? I think of it as a well-loved song, both by the fans and by the band. It's played fairly often. Who dares disagree?  :headbonk

Hmm I guess I can't say More Like The Moon is underrated then because I heard them play it live in Montclair during the Evening With Tour it is a beautiful song and should be played more I agree!

My vote

Blue Eyed Soul

ELT

Open Mind

"Underrated" is a hard term to define.  For instance, I would never consider Handshake Drugs to be underrated.  Or Wishful Thinking, or many other songs nominated so far. 

One song I think is underrated (by any interpretation of the word) is You Never Know.  I love the song, but I've read lots of negative comments about it here, hence my feeling it's underrated.

Right now I really can't think of any others, I'm sure one or two may come to me at some point. 

"Underrated" is a hard term to define.  For instance, I would never consider Handshake Drugs to be underrated.  Or Wishful Thinking, or many other songs nominated so far. 

I would go along with WilcoMe's definition of "worthy songs that don't get as much love or respect as they deserve." By that measure, I think we could include Wishful Thinking. I've seen these guys 6-7 times since it came out, but never heard it live.

Sky Blue Sky 

Was I In Your Dreams

I'll Fight

OMG, how did I neglect Sky Blue Sky, a song I'm passionate about but which is rarely played! Good call!

Hell Is Chrome

In A Future Age

Black Moon

I almost put Black moon on my list. Another quiet stunner.

Woodgrain - I'm a sucker for the fact that Jeff doesn't rhyme the "sometimes I rhyme / sometimes I don't" line. 
Less Than You Think 
Country Disappeared - Just watched the Take Away show again today and would love to see this one live. Saw them 3 times on (the album) tour and never heard it.