Three Most Underrated Wilco Songs?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with my usual choice and defense: "We're Just Friends."  It doesn't get a lot of respect, but it's one of my favorite Wilco songs.  I like to think of it as a soft and wounded miniature--simple yet beautiful, with something real, honest, and touching about it, all while sounding like an exposed raw nerve.  The ache in Jeff's scratchy, tremulous vocals is palpable.

Less Than You Think - there are live, short (drone-less) versions of the song performed around 2000 - 03 in which the verses are switched around. The verse switch and the short length make a big difference - at least to me, in the meaning I take away from the song.

Secret of the Sea - I love what sounds like a sitar in the mix. It probably isn't, but I have this image in my mind of Jay Bennett sitting cross-legged on the floor playing one.

Glad It's Over - My new favorite that I discovered from the Alpha box set. Sounds like it was a really fun song to make.

"Underrated" is a hard term to define.  For instance, I would never consider Handshake Drugs to be underrated.  Or Wishful Thinking, or many other songs nominated so far. 

One song I think is underrated (by any interpretation of the word) is You Never Know.  I love the song, but I've read lots of negative comments about it here, hence my feeling it's underrated.

Right now I really can't think of any others, I'm sure one or two may come to me at some point. 

good call on "You Never Know" - i love that song, always pumps me up -that whole George Harrison guitar sound (?) coupled with barroom piano stomp. Good (underrated) stuff!!

at the 2nd SSF, they soundchecked "Say You Miss Me" but sadly wasn't in the set.

at 2nd SSF?  I was there but didn't catch the sound check, but I was in line outside MassMoca the year they did the benefit show and was able to hear the soundcheck and am almost certain they soundchecked Say You Miss Me then too.  I could be completely wrong about that, but that's my best memory.

at 2nd SSF?  I was there but didn't catch the sound check, but I was in line outside MassMoca the year they did the benefit show and was able to hear the soundcheck and am almost certain they soundchecked Say You Miss Me then too.  I could be completely wrong about that, but that's my best memory.

It was the first SSF when they played Say You Miss Me during sound check.

More Like the Moon - So pretty it makes me swoony

Oh my gosh yes! This one. Yes. When they started to play it at the Ryman I very audibly said, "oh my god, holy shit" I got some funny looks from people beside me and a person on stage... :ninja 

Should've Been In Love is up there for me. Only heard it once. 

What's The World Got In Store, maybe

I've heard Wishful Thinking probably 4 times at shows (but mostly probably because I stuff the hell out the request thingy on the website...) 

"Underrated" is a hard term to define.  For instance, I would never consider Handshake Drugs to be underrated.  Or Wishful Thinking, or many other songs nominated so far. 

One song I think is underrated (by any interpretation of the word) is You Never Know.  I love the song, but I've read lots of negative comments about it here, hence my feeling it's underrated.

Right now I really can't think of any others, I'm sure one or two may come to me at some point. 

I'll add to my list:

Country Disappeared

Summer Teeth (because it's my #1 favorite Wilco song and I don't know of anyone else who would say that)