Simple Songs - Jim O'Rourke

I'd say so. Features Jeff and Glenn, too.

I agree.  Eureka is a close second.  Bad Timing is more for people who really like "that kind of thing".

Thanks guys, Bad Timing was the only one I had heard and I can't say I loved it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived from Drag City yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but at least this shows that they have copies available (or, at least they did when I ordered my copy a week ago.)

Finally got around to listening to this.  I've gotta admit that I'm still not really sold on Jim's singing voice, but the music on here is astonishing.  In a way, it's a timeless sound, and I'll bet a lot of musicians are listening to this record and saying to themselves "damn, why didn't I think of that."  I know at least one (myself) is.

Finally got around to listening to this. I've gotta admit that I'm still not really sold on Jim's singing voice, but the music on here is astonishing. In a way, it's a timeless sound, and I'll bet a lot of musicians are listening to this record and saying to themselves "damn, why didn't I think of that." I know at least one (myself) is.

I agree it's really good but what aspects of it do you find groundbreaking? Definitely not questioning your assessment --it's just hard for me to hear the elements that seem so innovative.

And by the way, I actually thought his voice was fine for these songs. It's not a great or distinctive voice but fine.

I never said it was groundbreaking.  It isn't, or at least, it doesn't seem to be on first listen.  But it is full of riffs and musical phrases that sound like they've always existed.  That's what I mean by timeless, and that's what a lot of musicians are striving for.

I never said it was groundbreaking. It isn't, or at least, it doesn't seem to be on first listen. But it is full of riffs and musical phrases that sound like they've always existed. That's what I mean by timeless, and that's what a lot of musicians are striving for.

Got it. I am just continually frustrated by my own inability to articulate what it is I find compelling about some music, especially when it's not lyrics or vocals. I'm always interested in the specifics of what somebody identifies as timeless, for instance. Unfortunately, I'm solidly in the "I don't know much about ______, but I know what I like" category.

And I've listened to the album all the way through at least 3 times. I like it better each time I hear it.

I am particularly impressed with the production on this record.  The vinyl sounds great too.   Like Wilco, there is a real attention to detail and all instruments are clear and distinct.  It's a pretty rare thing in the modern era of music - it should be no surprise that the audio qualify of a lot of albums released (whethere on CD or LP format) is just terrible.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread... It's a great album!  I absolutely adore some of the melodies that he was able to coax out of the guitar, piano, and mandolins.  Not to mention the false ending of "Half Life Crisis" which is a beautiful ode to Philip Glass.  Probably my favorite 10 seconds on a record in the last decade.