Now reading in 2015

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Marshall's "The Haight". Its a photo-documentary of Haight/Ashbury from roughly 1966 to 1969. Marshall was there from the beginning. Lots of great pictures and interesting articles. Something I learned-Dennis Hopper based his character from Apocalypse Now on Jim Marshall. JM must've been a handful to deal with.

I heard stories from David Gans, with regards to Marshall ---- every time Gans wanted to interview him he had to bring Marshall cocaine --- sounds like that book would be good read.

In Dennis Hoppers contract for being in Apocalypse Now, he was to be provided an oz of blow every week (or something like that)

For 5 bonus points you can name who Peter Fonda and Dennis were thinking of then they were creating the Easy Rider guys.

I had to cheat  - I didn't know that they were thinking of those two - interesting concept.

I don't recall where I learned that - maybe David Crosby's first book. 

I bought a few rock books recently - 

I've Always Kept a Unicorn (a book about Sandy Denny)

All The Rage (Ian McLagan  - I should have ordered that book from him when he was still around to sign it)

Rock Encyclopedia (Lillian Roxon)

• 4 weeks later...

- Finishing off John Banville's The Sea - ridiculously (yet thoroughly impressive) florid, poetic writing. Unrimmitingly glum tone throughout.

- A couple of books on El Nino and Global Sea Levels.

I feel as though I need to read something a bit uplifting soon.

I'm on a Daniel Woodrell kick. His writing is so thoroughly enjoyable -- southern gothic dirty realism. It's funny and dark and he makes such great use of southern aphorisms. While "Winter's Bone" is probably his most popular novel because it was made into a movie, my favorites so far are "The Death of Sweet Mister" and "Give Us A Kiss." Reading "Tomato Red" right now.

Just finished American Pastoral by P Roth and began my voyage on Game of Thrones. Haven't read much fantasy of late, but looking forward to diving in and then watching the series as i finish each book.

This should hold me over until well after Franzen's new book drops.