Now reading in 2015

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished American Pastoral by P Roth and began my voyage on Game of Thrones. Haven't read much fantasy of late, but looking forward to diving in and then watching the series as i finish each book.

This should hold me over until well after Franzen's new book drops.

A Song of Ice and Fire is great. So much more than the HBO show suggests.

attachicon.giflay-of-the-land.jpg The last installment of the trilogy. Loved the first two.

Can't go wrong with a Mississippi writer.

"On The Road" by Jack Kerouac. I've never read it, so it seemed apropos to pick up a copy while visiting City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco recently.

• 2 weeks later...

51uBTq1FyeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Written by Tim's guitarist. His first hand insight gives this a more genuine feel than a biography from a stranger. Interesting read so far.

"The $100 Startup." Because there's no room in my profession for an honest lawyer, and I'm tired of spending most of my time dealing with dirtbags.

I've just finished this horrific,powerful, brilliant book:

51zdDgmFNTL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And am now following it with a poignant look at its author's life, written by a close friend of hers, after Iris Chang's suicide in 2004. 

finding-iris-chang-friendship-ambition-a

What a short, profound life, and what a loss.

I have listened to about 86 chapters of The Girl on the Train (audio books are about the only way I get to "read" anything lately). I am baffled at how this is some kind of national hit. Just dreadful characters that have almost no redeeming qualities to latch on to.

I have listened to about 86 chapters of The Girl on the Train (audio books are about the only way I get to "read" anything lately). I am baffled at how this is some kind of national hit. Just dreadful characters that have almost no redeeming qualities to latch on to.

Agree-- that book was shite. That whole shifting perspective device is totally ineffective when the voices of the characters are nearly indistinguishable from one another. Not to mention there wasn't an interesting thought between them.

Poon, if it's goats you want to read about, get The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese. Thank me when you're done. Or, now works, too.