Now reading in 2015

"Cornbread Mafia" by J Higdon. Its about a bunch of weed growers from central Kentucky who grew massive amounts of killer bud in the 70s and 80s.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to "The Big Short", which is being made into a film starring Brad Pitt and Steve Carrell.......I still cant believe that no one in the financial services industry went to jail for all the crimes committed related to rating those crappy subprime mortgage bonds. Its incomprehensible.

^ Oh man, I haven't seen/heard of this one! Must be new. I have most of his writings. I had no idea he had an autobiographical book like this on tap before be died. 

Also, check out the Netflix documentary on him, if you haven't. It's excellent.

Yeah - it was in the new book section -- I happen to be browsing and came upon it - didn't realize it was out. Kinda surprised that Black Sparrow Press isn't the publisher.

And I did watch that doc a couple of weeks ago - it's a good one.

Also, I wouldn't call it a autobiographical book - the editor went through Buk's letters and took out the bits where he talks about poetry and writing in general. I only up to about 1961, so I haven't gotten too far.

Edited by calvino

Yeah - it was in the new book section -- I happen to be browsing and came upon it - didn't realize it was out. Kinda surprised that Black Sparrow Press isn't the publisher.

And I did watch that doc a couple of weeks ago - it's a good one.

Also, I wouldn't call it a autobiographical book - the editor went through Buk's letters and took out the bits where he talks about poetry and writing in general. I only up to about 1961, so I haven't gotten too far.

Yeah, I wonder where he (the editor credited on the cover) got the letters and also, why Black Sparrow/Jpohn Martin wasn't involved.

I'm reading Tony Visconti's book, which is mostly about working with Bowie and Marc Bolan.  Can't remember the name of it.  That's one downside of a Kindle.

Yesterday I saw the announcement for the next crop of 33 1/3 book.  There's going to be a Modern Lovers book.  I was all set to buy it, but unfortunately it won't be out until late next year or early 2017.

I've only read The Bandini series, which was very good. As you may know, Bukowski actually helped get him a larger audience through his (Bukowsi's) publisher, Black Sparrow Press. 

Yeah, this one is actually a Bandini one too, though written (or rather dictated to his wife when he had gone blind) much later in his life.

I love his writing. When I start reading I just want to devour it in one sitting. He writes sentences so beautifully.

I can also recommend 1933 Was A Bad Year (which has a knockout opening paragraph) and his collection of short stories The Big Hunger.

^^^ The third -- Lay of the Land -- is also great.  They all are.  I will have read all four in the last 8 months.  Thanks for the heads-up on the Fresh Air interview.

"City on Fire" by G R Hallberg. I think the author is trying too hard to impress, I might bail on this one.

I'm on the fence on that one.  The subject matter looks great to me but most reviews I've read have been pretty mixed.  He's doing a reading near me on Monday so maybe I'll check it out and decide then.

02-patti-smith-m-train.jpg   220px-Armada_novel_cover.jpg

I enjoyed Patti's last book, and this one too so far. The Ernest Cline one on the other hand hasn't grabbed me yet, though I'm only in the early stages. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the story. At this point I think it's more the writing; his sentences are a bit too pedestrian and uninspired for my tastes. I really loved "Ready Player One" so I'm gonna soldier on through for another few chapters and see if my opinion changes.