Roadcase Series

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

It looks like numbers 33, 34, and 35 are all Tweedy shows, just listed under Jeff Tweedy. The Buffalo recording (#035) is excellent, but I may be biased since I was at the show.

thanks! i got it figured out. i wish they were labeled appropriately rather than all 'wilco'.

• 3 weeks later...

Started diving back into my live Wilco over the weekend after about a 6-month break. Official Roadcase releases, SBDs and all. The more recent recording from their Pitchfork Music Festival headlining set is a top-notch recording. Lots of muscle in the bass and drums, more so than the usual Roadcase releases, and a nice set list synthesizing the career after the full run-through of Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about grabbing a few of the newer Roadcases,

And I'm curious whether the sound quality has improved on these. The most recent one I have is the all acoustic set from Solid Sound, so I won't count that in the "sound quality" conversation because of the setup and the inherent challenges capturing a good recording.

I also have Red Rocks 2012 and the full band set from Solid Sound 2013. Both are wonderful shows with very tight playing and great song selection, but I've always been a bit let down by the sound quality.

John is very low, almost absent from the mix. Guitars and vocals are highest in the mix, followed by drums and keys, but the recordings lack oomph. Wondering if any of the newer Roadcase recordings have more "punch" than these recordings from 4-5 years ago.

Anyone able to weigh in?

Thinking about grabbing a few of the newer Roadcases,

And I'm curious whether the sound quality has improved on these. The most recent one I have is the all acoustic set from Solid Sound, so I won't count that in the "sound quality" conversation because of the setup and the inherent challenges capturing a good recording.

I also have Red Rocks 2012 and the full band set from Solid Sound 2013. Both are wonderful shows with very tight playing and great song selection, but I've always been a bit let down by the sound quality.

John is very low, almost absent from the mix. Guitars and vocals are highest in the mix, followed by drums and keys, but the recordings lack oomph. Wondering if any of the newer Roadcase recordings have more "punch" than these recordings from 4-5 years ago.

Anyone able to weigh in?

To me the recent shows from LA and--in particular--the show from the Netherlands the day after the election sound great, but I don't have an audiophile's ears. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A combo quarantine boredom and Roadcase sale has me trying to compile a list of all of the Jeff Tweedy solo Roadcases that have been released. Maybe you're equally bored and can help verify that the list below is complete? They don't always differentiate in the KungFu store in a way that's obvious (or at all, in some cases)....

ROADCASE 87 / MAY 22, 2019 / BRISBANE, AU
ROADCASE 78 / JUNE, 30, 2019 / NORTH ADAMS, MA
ROADCASE 74 / MARCH 23, 2019 / CHICAGO, IL
ROADCASE 73 / MARCH 22, 2019 / CHICAGO, IL
ROADCASE 72 / FEBRUARY 28, 2019 / ST. LOUIS, MO
ROADCASE 71 / OCTOBER 08, 2018 / LOS ANGELES, CA
ROADCASE 70 / DECEMBER 28-29, 2017 / LOS ANGELES, CA
ROADCASE 66 / JUNE 25, 2017 / NORTH ADAMS, MA
ROADCASE 32 / FEBRUARY 15, 2014 / CHICAGO, IL
ROADCASE 31 / FEBRUARY 14, 2014 / CHICAGO, IL
ROADCASE 30 / DECEMBER 03, 2013 / KANSAS CITY, MO
ROADCASE 29 / DECEMBER 05, 2013 / DENVER, CO
ROADCASE 28 / DECEMBER 08, 2013 / SEATTLE, WA
ROADCASE 27 / DECEMBER 19, 2013 / LOS ANGELES, CA
ROADCASE 26 / DECEMBER 18, 2013 / LOS ANGELES, CA
ROADCASE 25 / DECEMBER 16, 2013 / LOS ANGELES, CA
ROADCASE 24 / DECEMBER 15, 2013 / LOS ANGELES, CA

• 8 months later...

what's up with the sound quality in the more recent (~5 years) roadcases? granted I'm not going through all of them ... but going between 2012-7-23 and the most recent Solid Sound ... the latter sounds completely lifeless and muffled, drums especially .... but 2012 sounds great.