Shortest Distance/Longest distance for a Wilco/Jeff show?

Inspired by bobfrombob only having to go 5 blocks to see Wilco...what is the shortest distance you traveled to see the band and what's the longest?

I travelled about 15 miles to see Wilco play two shows in Montclair, NJ

I travelled 200 or so for Solid Sound.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 miles to see them at the Tampa Theatre and the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.

Approx. 1900 miles to see them 2 nights in a row at the Fillmore in Denver.

I've seen shows that were only a few miles from former and future residences, but I guess the closest show from a current residence would be about 40 miles to Los Angeles. According to Google, the as-the-crow-flies distance to Berlin would be the longest at 5560 miles.

10 to Soundadvice Ampitheater (or whatever it is called these days) to see night 1 of their tour with Dylan and My Morning Jacket is the shortest. Longest is Solid Sound, FL to Massachusetts, that's over a 1000 miles I know.

Though I think an honorable mention should go to the recent St. Augustine show, where I drove 3 and a half hours on almost no notice after I got free tickets on Twitter. That's just as long as the flight up north, even longer, though I usually fly into NJ or NY and drive up to Solid Sound with friends. Or Boston, but still a two hour drive from Boston as well.

Longest:
600 miles & about 9 hours to Chicago for a pair of the all-request fundraiser solo acoustic Jeff Tweedy shows at The Vic. So great the first time, I did it again for a second year, but couldn't do this year- both for finances & because there was only one show. First time it was fly in & bus back, second time was driving to & from.
I'm generally pretty open to going that 4-5 (250 to 300 miles) hour journey without much hesitation (weather, schedule & finances permitting)- being located near Rochester, NY that means as far as NYC, Philly, NJ-Conn.,Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh etc., etc. (& obviously Buffalo & Syracuse etc.)

Shortest:
30 miles & 30 minutes to Rochester, NY for Wilco at the Highland Park Bowl. So great I decided to go to the Columbus, OH show a few days later too (up to that point my first Wilco show in Detroit was the longest, at 350 miles, but Columbus topped that at 400 miles... repeated a similar jaunt to Detroit to see Wilco & Richard Thompson at the AmericanaramA tour stop in Michigan & when they played together it was like a dream come true...which makes me look very forward to Solid Sound this year!!)

Long: About 800 to Santiago in north west Spain

Short: Usually about 15 miles for London shows, but it's public transport so feels like 150. There was one JT solo show at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass where thanks to a kind friend I got put up about a mile away, though there was a twisty path through the woods that might have added a few yards..

Edit - I suppose I'm only counting distance traveled that day (Travelling to Spain was all in one day), but the London to SF was longer if that rule does not apply (though I was not travelling solely to see JT so perhaps that counts against it).

Longest: Solid Sound Festival, 3862 kms (as-the-crow-flies)

Shortest: Vancouver 2010 Olympic show, 2.1 kms (walking) - if I look out our living room window across False Creek I can see David Lam Park which was transformed into the "Live City" concert venue during the Games!

Shortest: 14 miles to the Tampa Theatre and the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center

Longest: Was 490 miles to Atlanta; now it will be 1,292 miles to Solid Sound! Of course, that's not Wilco only, but still...

I think it's worth noting your recent Florida circuit for the 4 shows they did down here. I was pretty impressed when you told me you'd driven to all 4.

I think it's worth noting your recent Florida circuit for the 4 shows they did down here. I was pretty impressed when you told me you'd driven to all 4.

I actually "only" caught 3 of the 4, but my wife thought I was nuts to do that. I couldn't justify the WPB festival show even to myself. It was a helluva week though!

I was happy for you that you got to catch the St. Aug show for free. That might have been the best of the run.

I actually "only" caught 3 of the 4, but my wife thought I was nuts to do that. I couldn't justify the WPB festival show even to myself. It was a helluva week though!

I was happy for you that you got to catch the St. Aug show for free. That might have been the best of the run.

Ah, yeah, though I will say, I missed Orlando and that seems better than the WPB show. St. Aug was a great show, I also really enjoyed the city, believe it or not I had never been. Nice little place.