• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify, I am no Deadhead but are you saying that most Deadheads think that those songs are Dead tunes and not covers? Thanks for indulging my ignorance.

I totally did that wrong. That's what I get for posting from my phone. :lol

I meant to post "Songs that the Dead Covered that All Too Many Deadheads Think are Dead Tunes." There was a time, many years ago, when I ran into a lot of Heads who were blissfully unaware of the origins of Peggy-O, Morning Dew, and even El Paso. That may have changed quite a bit over the years, but there was a time...

Songs that the Dead Covered that All Too Few Deadheads Think are Dead Tunes:

Me and My Uncle

Morning Dew

Not Fade Away

Peggy-O

The Bob Dylan Songbook

Any others?

In all fairness, even John Phillips didn't know he had written Me and My Uncle until the Dead told him he did. He was happy to receive the royalty checks, though.

I don't associate with any Deadheads who are unaware those are cover tunes. But I suppose there are a few people out there dumb enough to not realize Buddy Holly wrote NFA.

The first time I heard So Many Roads I thought it was a cover.

Y'all hit all the really major covers The Dead "owned", but one that wasn't mentioned that I feel needs inclusion is Sittin On Top of the World. Played less than 50 times, mostly early on in their career. But for some reason every time I find myself coming across that tune while listening it just makes me want to CRANK the speakers & air guitar with a huge smile on my face.

There's only maybe a half dozen versions after Keith joined, I don't think it ever got played after Europe. But those first ones (2nd show, Felt Forum!, 12/10) are all sandwiched out of Dark Star or Other One. That is some of my favorite shit that there is! Going from deepest space music and then all of a sudden your're into Sittin and Jerry starts in with "Mississippi River, so deep and wide", and you realize NO ONE ELSE EVER DID THIS STUFF. It's THE GRATEFUL GODDAMN DEAD  and you feel glad to be alive for a few moments.  :badger

Going from deepest space music and then all of a sudden your're into Sittin and Jerry starts in with "Mississippi River, so deep and wide", and you realize NO ONE ELSE EVER DID THIS STUFF. It's THE GRATEFUL GODDAMN DEAD  and you feel glad to be alive for a few moments.  :badger

I feel ya, dude! :thumbup   I get overwhelmed like that too, sometimes.  And in those times, its astounding to me that more people don't get it. :headbonk .   The Dead were an incredible American artistic and cultural institution in a  league by themselves.  An easy target for ridicule by the ignorant and the opportunistic, for sure. but I predict the more time passes the higher esteem the Grateful Dead will be held in by people who understand.

Regarding Sittin - I thought they did perform in Europe in 72, though I had to check and they did --- it seems that the left the tune there, though --- never played it again once they got back. Great tune.

from Dead.net

Played frequently by the Grateful Dead in their earliest days, but then more rarely until the final performances on their European tour in 1972. These are the lyrics as on their first album.

An easy target for ridicule by the ignorant and the opportunistic, for sure. but I predict the more time passes the higher esteem the Grateful Dead will be held in by people who understand.

Well said, and I completely agree.

And with the rise of Jam Bands, the GD often get painted with that same brush by ignorant and opportunistic. I've always felt that there were Jam Bands and then there was the Grateful Dead and the only similarity is they both play songs with long instrumental passages.

I feel ya, dude! :thumbup   I get overwhelmed like that too, sometimes.  And in those times, its astounding to me that more people don't get it. :headbonk .   The Dead were an incredible American artistic and cultural institution in a  league by themselves.  An easy target for ridicule by the ignorant and the opportunistic, for sure. but I predict the more time passes the higher esteem the Grateful Dead will be held in by people who understand.

Right fucking on!