11. Big River [4:38]
12. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [7:51] 

Disc 3 
1. Weather Report Suite Prelude> [3:09]
2. Dark Star> [31:46]
3. Eyes Of The World> [12:51]
4. Playing In The Band [15:27]
5. Johnny B. Goode [3:51]

JUST the WRS Prelude? That's odd as hell.

That said, I'm stoked. I might have went with 3/24 or 4/2, but wtf, I don't make these decisions, I'm just some guy.  :stunned

72-73 is so interesting to me. The band was phasing out the cryptical/Stephen/eleven 600s psychedelic extavaganzas and playing a bunch of 'songs'. Then they would do a 'jam' set with other one, DS etc. comparivily, '74 is just out there.

Coooool.

that is cool.  i love getting these little bits of knowledge from time to time.  just add it to the archive in my brain.  for some reason, i can read/hear anything music related (especially GD) and never forget it.  wish i was that way about many more things!

In Dave's seaside chat vid, he says the rest of WRS hadn't been written yet...

Now that I look it up you're right. They did the WRS Prelude 5 times between 11/19/72 (which I've had on tape and forgot about, it's a WILD segue into Dark Star there)and 4/2/73 (which I also had on tape but forgot because of the insane HC Sunshine > Space > Bobby McGee), and then they shelved the thing until 9/8, when the full Suite appeared (9/8 is with horns fwiw).

My guess is they held a revolver to Weir's head until he finally finished the damn song. LOL

Anyone in the NY area catch any of these JRAD shows at the Brooklyn Bowl this weekend?  Incredibly hot shows by all accounts.  I was in NYC this weekend, but at the Beacon on Saturday night.  This band does GD music like no other.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126650/Keep-It-Going-The-Case-For-More-Joe-Russos-Almost-Dead

http://liveforlivemusic.com/show-reviews/joe-russos-almost-dead-but-fully-alive-at-brooklyn-bowl-night-3/

I'd really like to see JRAD. 

Anyone get a case of GD Cabernet? Shouldn't the bottle be dusty?

http://www.winesthatrock.com/Grateful-Dead-50th-Anniversary-Cabernet-Sauvignon

I know of a link to d/l both audio & video of the JRAD October 2, 3, 4. Anyone interested just PM me

JRAD in Denver last October was a musical highlight for the year. The band flat-out crushes and has a unique twist to the songs. Refreshing band.

I want to catch them play, but every time they pass through Chicago they play at a notoriously bad sounding venue.

I have always loved 04 August 1976...the first set really is about as flawless as it can be - each song is exceptional.  Second set starts with a really impressive Help Slip Frank Dancin Wheel Sampson...phew...it gets pretty spaced out after that, but ends well...

...and, there is a great full show video (really well filmed - numerous cameras)...worth checking out...

the filming is really jerry focused - almost all of his solos are shown...

also it is interesting to see the interplay between the band inbetween the songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yLgdzAbXQ

I thought this was hysterical.

Trey to Bobby: "Sometimes I'd be like, 'You really want to play this song that slow?'"

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126686/Trey-Anastasio-On-Fare-Thee-Well-Phish-Summer-Tour-and-More

Yeah, funny, but more in a sad way to me.  Too slow without a burning fire is just boring to me.  Its becoming clear to me that Weir has been the one holding back the music in Furthur and Fare Thee Well and he will most certainly continue to do so in this Dead and Co deal.

I also found this illuminating:

"So what advice did Anastasio give to Dead & Company guitarist John Mayer who is about to go through a similar experience to the one he had? When the pair met, Trey told John "You and I, this is not our band," as he advised the younger guitarist to let the members of the Dead shine." 

I'd much prefer to have a guitarist (or a pianist, talking to you Hornsby!) who would play aggressively and try to push the other musicians and spark some life into the music rather than be deferrential and let the old dudes play just too goddamn mellow.  Its kinda sad to me that some of the guys from the Dead are still around playing but the resultant music is just not that good to me.  I'm happy for those that are digging in the past few years, but I'll stick to the old recordings of the Dead in their prime.

Weir has been playing slower-tempo song versions with Ratdog for quite awhile, so I can see that transferring over to the GD fringe bands, too. Like the summer shows, I have little  desire to catch these shows unless they're in my back yard, which 2 of them are. So now I need another excuse to try and weasel out of them....

Weir has been playing slower-tempo song versions with Ratdog for quite awhile, so I can see that transferring over to the GD fringe bands, too. Like the summer shows, I have little  desire to catch these shows unless they're in my back yard, which 2 of them are. So now I need another excuse to try and weasel out of them....

I always feel like I have to go too :-)