I like all of Phil's 'new' tunes.  Wave and Childhood's being favorites.  I pretty much liked everything, but always was a bit pissed when they played Victim, Samba, Picasso because they took up space for other good tunes.  Picasso opener was kind of a buzz kill.  As was Victim set two opener.  Although, that tune did get pretty spacey.  I think some of the latter day songs were fairly difficult to play live, which explains the timing issues etc.  Picasso, Built, Eternity, Easy Answers.  These are just pretty difficult with either lots of words or classic Bob tunes.  You know what I mean :-)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Phil -

I wonder if he ever does any of the songs from his solo album (There and Back Again - 2002)? I recall seeing several shelves of those cds in the place where I use to buy new cds around that time. 

Speaking of Phil -

I wonder if he ever does any of the songs from his solo album (There and Back Again - 2002)? I recall seeing several shelves of those cds in the place where I use to buy new cds around that time. 

I'm really hoping it's a concept album centered around The Hobbit?

That would be a riot.

"Celebration" (Lesh, Hunter)

"Night of a Thousand Stars" (Lesh, Haynes, Hunter)

"The Real Thing" (Haynes)

"Again and Again" (Herring, Hunter)

"No More Do I" (Lesh, Hunter)

"Patchwork Quilt" (Haynes)

"Liberty" (Garcia, Hunter)

"Midnight Train" (Lesh)

"Leave Me Out of This" (Barraco, Mattson)

"Welcome to the Underground" (Haynes)

"Rock-n-Roll Blues" (Lesh, Hunter)

Personnel

Phil Lesh — bass, vocals

Warren Haynes — guitar, vocals

Jimmy Herring — guitar

John Molo — drums and percussion

Rob Barraco — keyboards, vocals

Michael Kang — violin on "Rock-n-Roll Blues"

Just finished listening to the whole 1972 March 22 to 28 run of Academy of Music shows in New York.

Overall pretty amazing stuff...

* 03/22 (no donna) was very average with no much spark until the PITB, and the Sugar Mag into Caution into UJB...

* 03/23 (no donna) was ephemeral...first set was exceptional the whole way through...oddly enough the second set was equally impressive except for the dark star which was just above average...((((my notes on the dark star:

Dark Star – some nice moments before first verse but nothing truly dazzling; post verse a long drift – open ended; went inot tigerish lesh jam; starting at 15:00 became exceptional – keep from there on…feelin groovy; B+)))

* 03/25 (no donna) special guest show that was quite average at best...even the PITB was average...Lovelight Casey Jones were the only exceptional moments in my opinion...

* 03/26 (no donna) amazingly exceptional from opening note in first set through the finale encore...wow - purely amazing show...good lovin amazing; truckin other one muncle other wharf was beyond the heavens...NFA GDTRFB NFA was as impressive s the 8.22.1972 version...

* 03/27 (no donna) again as impressive as the 03/23 and 03/26 shows but no expansive moments other than the pitb...purely impressive though...wow

* 03/28 (DONNA) band seemed a bit more tired or sluggish or jejune than with previous shows (03/23, 03/26, 03/27); pitb was amazing but note the amazingly out of tune donna screeching during the front and back end of hte song portion; The Other One was esasily the highlight of the show (and maybe the run of shows) - jerry creates numerous novel themes that were truly unique...really worth hearing...really jamming; NFA and transition to GDTRFB rivalled 8/22/1972 (and 03/26 versoin) but hte GDTRFB had hair raising screeches from Donna (worth hearing)...

So - PITB had evolved from 1971 Fall versions into the pre-8/27/1972 monster it was to become...

The band sounded more relaxed and less rushed with its ubiquitous songs compared to Fall 1971...

The 03/28/1972 Other One was a monster and unlike any other...not necessarily the best of all time (or among the best) but it really was an interesting ride...

The band was quite ready for the Europe tour which began on 07 April...

Picasso > Bucket. Yep I just said that.

I liked Victim as well. That tune could get seriously weird - scary weird.

I've probably said this here before, but Built To Last is probably my least favorite Garcia/Hunter song. That LP would have been much better off with Believe It Or Not. I really like that one.

Heard a fantastic Victim into Dark Star today...really impressive...28 December 1989...really wanted to go to those shows but alas...I could not attend...

12/31/89 - and yeah, that's a really good one! The Dark Star isn't long but it doesn't take long to get way out there. Plus ya get Airto guesting on Drums, always a plus.

I've always liked Push comes to shove as well..there - i admitted it...

Ditto! Quirky lyrics, bouncin tune, and I always picture Garcia grinning while he sings it. 

Built to Last kicks ass, too.  Great lyrics, too.

"Show me something built to last, or something built to tryyyyyyy-EYYYYYYE...." and dig the midi trumpet sounds. Fantastic. 

Built to Last is a little cheesy for me - the tune tries to be earnest, but it doesn't work for me - both musically and lyrically.

Push Come to Shove is a good one --- West LA is probably in my top 5 favorite songs of theirs.

Those tunes (Built to Last, Push, Picasso, etc.) were all heavily played (the album, of course) at shows in the glory years of 87-90, so it's hard for me to have negative feelings towards any of them. 

(Except for Picasso Moon)

Just saw on FB today is the 42nd birthday of Wake of the Flood.  Wowza, time flies.   Funny thing about that album when it was released it was sort of a disappointment to me and a lot of the GD world, coming after Europe '72. Today, it's one of my favorite studio albums, and I can be heard saying side 2 is my favorite single side of any GD studio release. 

Fare Thee Well Shows information:

12-CD/7-Blu-ray Complete Version

Full audio and high-definition video from all three shows on CD and Blu-ray plus exclusive bonus Blu-ray of behind-the-scenes footage and three CDs of intermission music by Circles Around The Sun.

Individually numbered, limited edition of 20,000

12-CD/7-DVD Complete Version

Full audio and video from all three shows on CD and DVD plus exclusive bonus DVD of behind-the-scenes footage and three CDs of intermission music by Circles Around The Sun.

Individually numbered, limited edition of 20,00

I didn't know they were doing this in a limited edition deal. I wonder if that is how they are going to do most of the commercial releases now. 

Just saw on FB today is the 42nd birthday of Wake of the Flood.  Wowza, time flies.   Funny thing about that album when it was released it was sort of a disappointment to me and a lot of the GD world, coming after Europe '72. Today, it's one of my favorite studio albums, and I can be heard saying side 2 is my favorite single side of any GD studio release. 

And 32nd anniversary of one of the most memorable shows I caught: Hartford '83. I can still hear the roar of the crowd as St. Stephen splendidly sprung out of a Space that I can still recall as vividly. I was about 16 and knew they'd done St. Stephen at MSG earlier in the week and the whole place seemed to be on the edge of their collective seat with anticipation.

Oddly, the "return" of St. Stephen was in absentia for only four years....

And 32nd anniversary of one of the most memorable shows I caught: Hartford '83. I can still hear the roar of the crowd as St. Stephen splendidly sprung out of a Space that I can still recall as vividly. I was about 16 and knew they'd done St. Stephen at MSG earlier in the week and the whole place seemed to be on the edge of their collective seat with anticipation.

Oddly, the "return" of St. Stephen was in absentia for only four years....

Pretty sure my brother was at that show. Small world.

I was in VA at the time. Caught them about a week earlier.

This sound check footage and interview from the '76 Beacon shows is very cool. Love the crowd shots outside the Beacon. I was at both these shows. Coming back on the road after the hiatus, our excitement level was off the charts. What a different band from that which was last seen in the NYC area on 8-6-74. In retrospect, I'm not overly fond if the '76 shows, certain not when compared to what was to come in '77, but they sure were fun.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126773/More-1976-Grateful-Dead-Soundcheck-Footage-Surfaces