• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shocked when I saw the headline/ relieved when i read it was non-aggressive and full recovery expected.Here's the complete text of his message to fans:

A Message from Phil:

Dear Friends,

I am sorry to let you know that I will need to cancel the October 24th and 25th Phil & Friends shows with Chris Robinson.

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in early October, and have spent the last few weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale doing tests and eventually surgery to remove the tumors. I am very fortunate to have the pathology reports show that the tumors are all non aggressive, and that there is no indication that they have spread.

So thanks to my local doctor Cliff Sewell, and the incredible team at the Mayo Clinic, all is well and I can return to normal activities in two weeks from my surgery. Unfortunately, that means I will have to cancel the PLF shows scheduled for Oct 24/25. We will reschedule these shows as soon as we can, but in the meantime, keep a lookout for a free Grate Room show before I leave for the East Coast shows. I also plan to pop in and jam in the bar before we leave, so I hope to see you there at Terrapin.

Love Will See You Through....
-Phil

PS Ticket refund info will be posted soon

This sound check footage and interview from the '76 Beacon shows is very cool. Love the crowd shots outside the Beacon. I was at both these shows. Coming back on the road after the hiatus, our excitement level was off the charts. What a different band from that which was last seen in the NYC area on 8-6-74. In retrospect, I'm not overly fond if the '76 shows, certain not when compared to what was to come in '77, but they sure were fun.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126773/More-1976-Grateful-Dead-Soundcheck-Footage-Surfaces

I would agree that 76 is a totally different animal than 74, but there are many things about 76 that I really like, even moreso than 77. The set lists were really mixed up, for one - you could find some tunes placed almost anywhere in a set, compared with the much more organized sets from 77. The tempos WERE too slow at times, but you also could occasionally get some of the old style 74 space jams (the jam from Playin into The Wheel comes to mind).

I would agree that 76 is a totally different animal than 74, but there are many things about 76 that I really like, even moreso than 77. The set lists were really mixed up, for one - you could find some tunes placed almost anywhere in a set, compared with the much more organized sets from 77. The tempos WERE too slow at times, but you also could occasionally get some of the old style 74 space jams (the jam from Playin into The Wheel comes to mind).

They were also still doing that jam after Eyes….the 9 jam?

Sort of in 1976. They never actually did the slipknot jam but the lesh / jerry tradeoff thing was there...

slipknot jam?  i guess it was a slipknot type jam.  that 'full' eyes they do in the movie with the bass solo and then the modulation to different keys and the riff.  i wonder if that was actually part of the entire song written by garcia and was going to be on the album wake of the flood.

at this time they were jamming Help longer.  so interesting how Help/Slip disappeared so soon after it's debut.  it's a hell of a tune to play.  one of the few Dead tunes I don't not fully know how to play.  

Right..."slipknot" isn't quite the right name. One of the first tapes I ever traded for (in early 1987) was 6.18.1974...It recited:

(Side A)

Eyes of the Word >

Stronger Than Dirt >

China Doll

Weather Report Suite >

Let it Grow >

(Side B)

The Other One >

Blues for Allah >

Blues Jam >

Stella Blue

Mourning Dew

Point being, my initial introduction to the post Eyes 1973 and 1974 jam was called "Stronger Than Dirt." so I have always sentimentally referred to it as "Stronger Than Dirt."

I always thought it would have been awesome (especially gustatorily altered...) to have witness such a beautiful jam wherein Lesh starts with a great bass lead, followed by a Jerry lead, than another Lesh lead, and then a Jerry led theme that carefully builds to an intense apex into Stronger Than Dirt....

The Lesh Jerry interchange occurred in 1976 but never the apex Stronger Than Dirt...

Start at 9:51 of this video to witness the beauty and ephemerality (not really a word) of Jerry Garcia apexing into a Stronger Than Dirt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3Tdlmtbzg

Yeah, I always referred to it as "Stronger Than Dirt" even though it's only barely close to the riff that's on Allah.

Right..."slipknot" isn't quite the right name. One of the first tapes I ever traded for (in early 1987) was 6.18.1974...It recited:

(Side A)

Eyes of the Word >

Stronger Than Dirt >

China Doll

Weather Report Suite >

Let it Grow >

(Side B)

The Other One >

Blues for Allah >

Blues Jam >

Stella Blue

Mourning Dew

Point being, my initial introduction to the post Eyes 1973 and 1974 jam was called "Stronger Than Dirt." so I have always sentimentally referred to it as "Stronger Than Dirt."

I always thought it would have been awesome (especially gustatorily altered...) to have witness such a beautiful jam wherein Lesh starts with a great bass lead, followed by a Jerry lead, than another Lesh lead, and then a Jerry led theme that carefully builds to an intense apex into Stronger Than Dirt....

The Lesh Jerry interchange occurred in 1976 but never the apex Stronger Than Dirt...

Start at 9:51 of this video to witness the beauty and ephemerality (not really a word) of Jerry Garcia apexing into a Stronger Than Dirt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3Tdlmtbzg

Cool.  That mythic build up does sound awesome.  Too bad they didn't also keep King Solomon's in the setlist.

A while ago, 'Sitting on Top of the World' was being discussed, XM just played the below segment on the 'Today in GD History' show (10.21.71 - Chicago's Auditorium Theatre). Keith really shines throughout. It's pretty amazing how much he fit in, right off the bat.

Dark Star-> Sitting On Top Of The World-> Dark Star-> Me And Bobby McGee

https://archive.org/details/gd1971-10-21.sbd.miller.112086.flac16

And 32nd anniversary of one of the most memorable shows I caught: Hartford '83. I can still hear the roar of the crowd as St. Stephen splendidly sprung out of a Space that I can still recall as vividly. I was about 16 and knew they'd done St. Stephen at MSG earlier in the week and the whole place seemed to be on the edge of their collective seat with anticipation.

Oddly, the "return" of St. Stephen was in absentia for only four years....

I was at that show.  Hartford was my hometown venue.

Here's some cool footage (for those who haven't seen it) of GD sound checking part of "Sitting..."(along with "Pocky Way, etc.)  around '87-'88:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okbtZBo17KI

Pretty nifty. I like their second take of Sittin - reminded me a lot of CC Rider.

Finishing up listening to the spring tour of 1990 again (March 14, 1990 to April 3, 1990; I saw none of these shows in person).

Two things stand out - 1) The band was surprisingly tight and consistent compared to 1989; and 2) that consistency generally led to above average shows but no real exceptional shows from note one of set one through the last note of the encore.

Here were the exceptional versions I added to my master mix:

March 14, 1990: Let it Grow; Playin > UJB > Playin

March 16, 1990: Bird Song

March 19, 1990: Box, Foolish Heart > Playin > Eyes

March 24, 1990: Loser, Playin > UJB > Terrapin > Mind Left Body Jam

March 29, 1990: Bird Song, Eyes > Estimated > Dark Star

March 30, 1990: Playin > UJB > Terrapin, NFA

April 03, 1990: Playin

Other versions were well done - but these stood out as the highlights of the tour and rival versions from any time period (in my opinion of course)...

Now onwards to the Spring Tour of 1980...and then the month of April in 1972...and then back for May and June of 1990...

Finishing up listening to the spring tour of 1990 again (March 14, 1990 to April 3, 1990; I saw none of these shows in person).

Two things stand out - 1) The band was surprisingly tight and consistent compared to 1989; and 2) that consistency generally led to above average shows but no real exceptional shows from note one of set one through the last note of the encore.

Here were the exceptional versions I added to my master mix:

March 14, 1990: Let it Grow; Playin > UJB > Playin

March 16, 1990: Bird Song

March 19, 1990: Box, Foolish Heart > Playin > Eyes

March 24, 1990: Loser, Playin > UJB > Terrapin > Mind Left Body Jam

March 29, 1990: Bird Song, Eyes > Estimated > Dark Star

March 30, 1990: Playin > UJB > Terrapin, NFA

April 03, 1990: Playin

Other versions were well done - but these stood out as the highlights of the tour and rival versions from any time period (in my opinion of course)...

Now onwards to the Spring Tour of 1980...and then the month of April in 1972...and then back for May and June of 1990...

You're a maniac! Love it. I've actually been revisiting the studio albums. Working/American through Allah is quite q run. Add in the solo albums and it's incredible! Blues For Allah is my favorite studio album.

Blues for Allah is a masterpiece...

My favorite studio album (kind of studio) is Anthem of the Sun...

I agree on both counts.