will relisten to the 22 March 1990 Scarfire...

Here were my notes on recent listen: 

Scarlet Begonias – tight song but in song jam while slightly flavored lacked intensity; transition to fire was well done by jerry with a nice pace and nice meandering –lacked a bit in intensity – but through this point it clearly was the highlight of the show; B+

Fire – nice tension weeved in the first soloing by Jerry; a lot of flavor too – well done first solo; second solo featured sprinting and tension mounting by Jerry; reached some very nice spots that gained nicely; well done – very extended too; final jam started out well but fizzled a bit near the end and the final apex was at best average – tough conclusion to a pretty good verison B+

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing up listening to the spring tour of 1990 again (March 14, 1990 to April 3, 1990; I saw none of these shows in person).

Two things stand out - 1) The band was surprisingly tight and consistent compared to 1989; and 2) that consistency generally led to above average shows but no real exceptional shows from note one of set one through the last note of the encore.

Here were the exceptional versions I added to my master mix:

March 14, 1990: Let it Grow; Playin > UJB > Playin

March 16, 1990: Bird Song

March 19, 1990: Box, Foolish Heart > Playin > Eyes

March 24, 1990: Loser, Playin > UJB > Terrapin > Mind Left Body Jam

March 29, 1990: Bird Song, Eyes > Estimated > Dark Star

March 30, 1990: Playin > UJB > Terrapin, NFA

April 03, 1990: Playin

Other versions were well done - but these stood out as the highlights of the tour and rival versions from any time period (in my opinion of course)...

Now onwards to the Spring Tour of 1980...and then the month of April in 1972...and then back for May and June of 1990...

Did you get that big box (30 Trips)? 

I was reminded by several publications that today is the anniversary of the famous 10-27-79 Cape Cod Coliseum show.  I was in the house for this one (and given events in the parking lot, we were very fortunate to make it inside).  A very memorable day and night.  Listening to the second set now at my desk. 

http://www.deadlistening.com/2008/09/1979-october-27-cape-cod-coliseum.html

http://liveforlivemusic.com/features/must-listen-the-grateful-dead-jams-at-cape-cod-on-this-date-in-1979/

truckin up to the the cap to see phil on 11/6 and 11/7.

was curious about dead and co show  THU 11/5 in philly - on the way- looks like GA floor tix are readily available- same for FRI 11/6 in DC.

Kinda, but not really surprised... think the tour ticket sales are that weak?? Should i roll into philly for a $20 dead and company appetizer before i relish the steak in NY (see what i did there)?

I'll be happy to report back on the shows!

truckin up to the the cap to see phil on 11/6 and 11/7.

was curious about dead and co show  THU 11/5 in philly - on the way- looks like GA floor tix are readily available- same for FRI 11/6 in DC.

Kinda, but not really surprised... think the tour ticket sales are that weak?? Should i roll into philly for a $20 dead and company appetizer before i relish the steak in NY (see what i did there)?

I'll be happy to report back on the shows!

I vote for you to catch the Philly show on your way up to Portchester.  Why not?  I'm likely in the minority, but I'm interested to hear Mayer play this songbook with these guys.  I'd like to catch a show but I hate going to Worcester-hate the drive in traffic and hate the venue (although for some reason Phish has always been great there).  If they were playing Boston I would definitely go.

I vote for you to catch the Philly show on your way up to Portchester.  Why not?  I'm likely in the minority, but I'm interested to hear Mayer play this songbook with these guys.  I'd like to catch a show but I hate going to Worcester-hate the drive in traffic and hate the venue (although for some reason Phish has always been great there).  If they were playing Boston I would definitely go.

I would go to if one could swing it, too -- all the floor seats for the St. Louis show are sold out -- I entered 'best available' for two and two in a pretty good section popped up, though they were pretty far back , row wise - but I am guessing there is still plenty of seats available.

We bought the cheapest seats -- guess we have a chance to find some closer seats while we are there. I am looking forward to the show.

I was reminded by several publications that today is the anniversary of the famous 10-27-79 Cape Cod Coliseum show.  I was in the house for this one (and given events in the parking lot, we were very fortunate to make it inside).  A very memorable day and night.  Listening to the second set now at my desk. 

http://www.deadlistening.com/2008/09/1979-october-27-cape-cod-coliseum.html

http://liveforlivemusic.com/features/must-listen-the-grateful-dead-jams-at-cape-cod-on-this-date-in-1979/

The He's Gone Caution Other One was one of the first jams that took my breath away...My only copy of this show up until about 1995ish was teh Rolfe audience...It was and will always be spectacular...

The He's Gone Caution Other One was one of the first jams that took my breath away...My only copy of this show up until about 1995ish was teh Rolfe audience...It was and will always be spectacular...

I was telling/writing the other day how the Cape Cod shows (on tape) are pretty much always close by my tape player and ready for a listen. I've had the aud. tapes for years, too. The sbds on archive are dynamite, though. The nearly hour-long Dancin'->Franklins->He's Gone-> Other One....holy cow.

The snippets I've heard, I've liked.  Dare I say, he fits in better than any other I've heard/seen.  I do not care for Mayer's singing, though.  But, yeah, I'm curious.  I'll be looking for recordings of tomorrow night's show.  If I feel up to it, I'll head over to the show here in Atlanta and try for a cheap ticket.

Listening to Troutdale 22 August 2007...beautiful show...

Wilco, right?  The show where Tweedy is amazed how much weed is being smoked in the audience.  "You're all high, that's why you want us to keep playing."  Some hilarious banter there.  A great show, I listen to it frequently.

Wilco, right?  The show where Tweedy is amazed how much weed is being smoked in the audience.  "You're all high, that's why you want us to keep playing."  Some hilarious banter there.  A great show, I listen to it frequently.

Yup...Sky blue sky tour...I mainly like the 2001-2004 era the best, but 2007 pretty awesome as well...

My attorney advised me to take the Fifth!  Let's just say it involved a car in the parking lot that was suddenly surrounded by police.  My buddy who was with me wrote "An eternal thank you goes out to the South Yarmouth Police Department.."  Amen to that.

I remember those days. I remember being at the Mecca in April 1989 and seeing the cops bust a jaywalker - harshly. They took him down. The guy was obviously altered (sky was yellow, sun was blue) and the police were complete jerks - roughed him up a bit. Scary thing was that i jaywalked 20 seconds before that...

I always seemed to see naked people being taken away in handcuffs at shows. Not pleasing to the eye usually.

FYI-looks like the FTW interlude music is being released. Interlude For The Dead-Circle Around The Sun.

I only shows in the Chicago area during their last 5 years - I never saw any Chicago police officer use any unnecessary force or give anyone any issues.

They mostly rode their horses through the lots.

Even at the recent Fare Thee Well Shows - the police were about, but I didn't see any issues and it was pretty much a free for all.

Perhaps I was just lucky or wasn't around the problems. 

I do remember one year we had to drive around the Soldier Field lots on Lake Shore Drive waiting for it to open - they opened at 10am which was always cool - and I really had to use the bath room --- seeing a bunch port-a-potties in the lot and just over a fence made it even worse - so, while the van was stopped on Lake Shore Drive, I hurried up, got out the van and jumped the fence to use the john - an officer saw and I told him why I was doing it - he let do my thing and I jump back over the fence and waited a minute or so for the van to come back around and jumped back in. I think that was in 93.

I curious what's gonna be on the 'best of' Fare Thee Well disc.  I kind wish they did a 'Dead Set' and edited the songs.  I know, anathema.

BTW, Sunshine Garcia has a band with Stu Allen.  Saw a video of her doing Eyes.  She plays flute and it's great!

https://vimeo.com/127117385

I will never understand why the Boys never picked Stu.  He's the only Garcia-style dude that can actually play a compelling solo IMHO.  Love him.

I curious what's gonna be on the 'best of' Fare Thee Well disc.  I kind wish they did a 'Dead Set' and edited the songs.  I know, anathema.

According to dead.net the comp. is going to be the below:

Best Of Fare Thee Well July 3, 4 & 5 2015

Release Date: November 20, 2015

Disc One

1. “Box Of Rain”

2. “Shakedown Street”

3. “China Cat Sunflower”

4. “I Know You Rider”

5. “Bertha”

6. “West L.A. Fadeaway”

7. “Cumberland Blues”

8. “Althea”

9. “The Music Never Stopped”

Disc Two

1. “Truckin’”

2. “Scarlet Begonias>”

3. “Fire On The Mountain”

4. “Drums”

5. “Not Fade Away”

6. “Touch Of Grey”

7. “Attics Of My Life”

Speaking of Black Peter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSFEomvkAPQ

Man, Jerry was only 43 in this clip. Looks 70. He aged so fast when he was on the junk.

I've said that several times on these threads.  His physical decline was staggering.  Basically 9 months after the Reckoning/Dead Set event, he starts losing his voice etc.  He was 39!  I really don't think this playing started to get really bad until '92.