That's cool --- probably will miss the web-stream tonight -- hopefully someone will capture it and put it out via torrent --- if it will be allowed.

I think I read somewhere that it'll be streaming for 24 hours.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a great show last night by Dead and Co.  I have not been that impressed with much since The Phil Quintet and I was thinking that Mayer gave Haynes and Herring a run for their money in his guitar playing last night.  I was shocked at how into it I got.  Mayer was playing really really well, not too timid or deferring, not too aggressive or forceful, playing well constructed solos that came to nice crescendo while also listening and leaving room for the others.  He has clearly studied the music, but not just in a technical way, he has gotten inside the feeling of it and its clear he has a real love for these songs.  He has years of experience doing his own music, so he's not just a clone, but he seemed to be very very comfortable playing in Garcia's slot, far more comfortable and studied that Trey seemed to me.

And it wasn't just Mayer's playing, I loved Chimenti's playing as the only keyboardist and his set up with acoustic grand, electric piano, and Hammond was perfect, switching back and forth between them (I dug the acoustic solo he took in Shakedown and then switched back over to Fender Rhodes for the rest of the song).  Oteil was a monster, filling in for Phil wonderfully, always doing something interesting and solid while serving the song, too.  Drummers were in fine form but most notable to me was that Weir was playing excellent guitar!  He was playing intricate counterpoint parts against Mayer's riffing throughout the night.  He seemed to me to be playing far more articulate and precisely than he has in years.  Something is very different from Fare Thee Well, not sure what all the factors are, but i was thrilled to hear it.  He nor anyone in the band seemed lost, confused, or awkward.  Transitions were smooth and confident, not overly rushed.  I thought the music was allowed to develop without being forced.

How about those nice transition jams between Shakedown and Miracle or before Jack Straw? Great stuff.  Help>Slip>Franklin's had Allmans-like intensity.  Slipknot was so on!  St. Stephen jam was killer!

I am so surprised, these guys are sounding great right off the bat, what a stoke.  Now this would've been the tour for me to experience that Dead show magic one last time.  I'll have to consider the Vegas or California shows if I can swing them.  WOW!

That 2nd set is something else, especially from Big River on... I think that version of Big River is the best I've ever heard.

The WRS prelude into Big Star is one of the most beautiful things they've done.  Inspired playing that night. 

What show are you describing?  No Big River on 7-19-74 Fresno?  No Eyes>Playin' either.

This new Dave's is a really nice release. I have bitched a lot in the past about various picks, but this has some nice highlights. And I still have one disc to go. Enjoy, y'all!

Got mine Saturday. Looking forward to digging in!

Wow, what a great show last night by Dead and Co.  I have not been that impressed with much since The Phil Quintet and I was thinking that Mayer gave Haynes and Herring a run for their money in his guitar playing last night.  I was shocked at how into it I got.  Mayer was playing really really well, not too timid or deferring, not too aggressive or forceful, playing well constructed solos that came to nice crescendo while also listening and leaving room for the others.  He has clearly studied the music, but not just in a technical way, he has gotten inside the feeling of it and its clear he has a real love for these songs.  He has years of experience doing his own music, so he's not just a clone, but he seemed to be very very comfortable playing in Garcia's slot, far more comfortable and studied that Trey seemed to me.

And it wasn't just Mayer's playing, I loved Chimenti's playing as the only keyboardist and his set up with acoustic grand, electric piano, and Hammond was perfect, switching back and forth between them (I dug the acoustic solo he took in Shakedown and then switched back over to Fender Rhodes for the rest of the song).  Oteil was a monster, filling in for Phil wonderfully, always doing something interesting and solid while serving the song, too.  Drummers were in fine form but most notable to me was that Weir was playing excellent guitar!  He was playing intricate counterpoint parts against Mayer's riffing throughout the night.  He seemed to me to be playing far more articulate and precisely than he has in years.  Something is very different from Fare Thee Well, not sure what all the factors are, but i was thrilled to hear it.  He nor anyone in the band seemed lost, confused, or awkward.  Transitions were smooth and confident, not overly rushed.  I thought the music was allowed to develop without being forced.

How about those nice transition jams between Shakedown and Miracle or before Jack Straw? Great stuff.  Help>Slip>Franklin's had Allmans-like intensity.  Slipknot was so on!  St. Stephen jam was killer!

I am so surprised, these guys are sounding great right off the bat, what a stoke.  Now this would've been the tour for me to experience that Dead show magic one last time.  I'll have to consider the Vegas or California shows if I can swing them.  WOW!

The playing is fine all the way around. The only thing that grates is Weir singing Jerry's tunes. He just sprays the words around as he damn well pleases with no regard to metre or rhythm. Hey, we all know that NOBODY is going to sing it like The Big Guy, but there are certain tunes, like last night's Stella, that are (in my opinion) pretty "sacred", and if you're not going to give it the reverence it deserves then just do the fucker as an instrumental. I've seen the DNB do it like that (with Sless on pedal steel) and it was beautiful.

Wow, what a great show last night by Dead and Co. I have not been that impressed with much since The Phil Quintet and I was thinking that Mayer gave Haynes and Herring a run for their money in his guitar playing last night. I was shocked at how into it I got. Mayer was playing really really well, not too timid or deferring, not too aggressive or forceful, playing well constructed solos that came to nice crescendo while also listening and leaving room for the others. He has clearly studied the music, but not just in a technical way, he has gotten inside the feeling of it and its clear he has a real love for these songs. He has years of experience doing his own music, so he's not just a clone, but he seemed to be very very comfortable playing in Garcia's slot, far more comfortable and studied that Trey seemed to me.

And it wasn't just Mayer's playing, I loved Chimenti's playing as the only keyboardist and his set up with acoustic grand, electric piano, and Hammond was perfect, switching back and forth between them (I dug the acoustic solo he took in Shakedown and then switched back over to Fender Rhodes for the rest of the song). Oteil was a monster, filling in for Phil wonderfully, always doing something interesting and solid while serving the song, too. Drummers were in fine form but most notable to me was that Weir was playing excellent guitar! He was playing intricate counterpoint parts against Mayer's riffing throughout the night. He seemed to me to be playing far more articulate and precisely than he has in years. Something is very different from Fare Thee Well, not sure what all the factors are, but i was thrilled to hear it. He nor anyone in the band seemed lost, confused, or awkward. Transitions were smooth and confident, not overly rushed. I thought the music was allowed to develop without being forced.

How about those nice transition jams between Shakedown and Miracle or before Jack Straw? Great stuff. Help>Slip>Franklin's had Allmans-like intensity. Slipknot was so on! St. Stephen jam was killer!

I am so surprised, these guys are sounding great right off the bat, what a stoke. Now this would've been the tour for me to experience that Dead show magic one last time. I'll have to consider the Vegas or California shows if I can swing them. WOW!

Very well put. I didn't go to Chicago, but from what I Watched and listened to, this band sounds so much more focused and tighter. I had no intention of going to Worcester on a Tuesday night when this tour was announced, but I got myself a ticket and now I am super psyched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The playing is fine all the way around. The only thing that grates is Weir singing Jerry's tunes. He just sprays the words around as he damn well pleases with no regard to metre or rhythm. Hey, we all know that NOBODY is going to sing it like The Big Guy, but there are certain tunes, like last night's Stella, that are (in my opinion) pretty "sacred", and if you're not going to give it the reverence it deserves then just do the fucker as an instrumental. I've seen the DNB do it like that (with Sless on pedal steel) and it was beautiful.

Yup. I was thinking the same thing in Philly during Standing on the Moon. Whomever is singing doesn't have to SOUND like Jerry, but at least the vocals should follow the pattern of the music. Whatever Bob was doing wasn't matching up with me singing along, as I expected the vocals to go. Mayer doesn't really sound like Jerry, vocally, but his vocals feel "right."

Anyhow, i thought Philly was a blast. MSG 2 seemed epic via the webcast, really wished I was there. Wish I was going to more shows.

I'm looking forward to hitting the Worcester show tomorrow night as I scored after the load in today.

Tickets are getting pretty scarce for this show.according to box office it's a firm 7 pm start and they play till 11 . Is that real I know there's an intermission but 7 seems early /

I'm looking forward to hitting the Worcester show tomorrow night as I scored after the load in today.

Tickets are getting pretty scarce for this show.according to box office it's a firm 7 pm start and they play till 11 . Is that real I know there's an intermission but 7 seems early /

I bet that's real, or very close to 7:00 start.  Figure this: first set 7:15 - 8:30. Long intermission, second set 9:30 - 11:00.  Plan on 7:00 or very close to 7:00 start.

That is fucking hilarious!

That being said, I am super psyched for tonight's show!

Heads Up to those tracking to Worcester locals know this band well. Playing Dead is doing a set 5 - 6:30 and a post show set at Electric Haze 5 min walk from venue.

WRP see you out there ..

100% agree

that stella killed the momentum

crazy fingers, china doll, must have been the roses are others that just should be avoided IMHO

That being said, I was really surprised at how good this band sounds.  Mayer is excellent and it is easy to forget how critical the DRUMS are to Grateful Dead music.

Grate time!

Had a fun time last night.  Band sounds great, Mayer's playing is pretty much perfect in this setting to my ears.  And Weir's playing better than he was 5 years ago.  I think Mayer's raised the game of the entire band. Oteil and Cheminti excellent players, and the DRUMS are a huge factor.

Last night's first set-execelletn song selection-could have used some variation in tempo- the entire set was played at that slowish mid-tempo.  COuld have used some variation from song to song.

Second set kicked butt-fantastic.  Right from the Deal opener, into Uncle John's (where Mayer was doing his best '73 Jerry playing), Estimated, Terrapin (!), a Dear Prudence bust out (really freaking great) and a nod to Allen Toussaint with the JGB version of Get Out of My Life Woman (which I forgot was a Toussaint song until I got home).  A very nice nod to Toussaint on the day of his passing.

Very glad I made the trip to Worcester.  Interested to hear what "Roadhse ma" has to say.

Heard about this book this summer. It looks like an interesting read. Culled from several Mcnally interviews over a bunch of years in informal settings....

http://jerrygarcia.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=640_80301&pc=JYAM102

Tried to listen to the feed from taperrob last night but with too many stop/starts I gave up.  Heard good reviews, though.