I have the Jackson/Gans book on reserve at my library -- looking forward to it.

Gans was talking about the book on this past Tales show (XM Radio) -- it has been getting great reviews from various journals -- which made him happy, because it probably will lead to library systems picking it up.

Hopefully my library system will pick up the new Garcia book, too.

(Just checked at least one library in my system will be getting the Garcia book)

Edited by calvino
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught Dead & Company last night.

I like this bunch better than Further ( saw 4 o those.

Mayer is like a kid in a candy store playing on a stage clearly with some of his heroes. He is not looking for a spotlight and plays and sings very well.

Otel is a Wondeful addition laying down the rhythm and being the glue that keeps the jams from falling apart, always liked him in ABB.

Overall Bobbys vocals were in decent shape, Desr Prudence was missing a couple of lines but hey it's the first time I have ever heard them covering it, and it was a crowd pleaser. Totally would go back for more.

I caught the after show set from Playing Dead they all went to the show and covered some of the songs, always a fun time seeing those guys.

Set list from last night

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dead-and-company/2015/dcu-center-worcester-ma-43f523b7.html

I have the Jackson/Gans book on reserve at my library -- looking forward to it.

Gans was talking about the book on this past Tales show (XM Radio) -- it has been getting great reviews from various journals -- which made him happy, because it probably will lead to library systems picking it up.

Hopefully my library system will pick up the new Garcia book, too.

(Just checked at least one library in my system will be getting the Garcia book)

I'll probably get it. Playing In The Band is one of my favorite GD books. 

I will probably ending up getting it (Gans/Jackson book) too -- these days I tend to check it out first and if I like it and think I will refer to it, often,  I end up buying it.

My library is a three minute walk from my house, so if my actual library has it in the stacks, it's usually readily available. Plus it's always a nice excuse to get out the house when the family is getting on each other nerves -- i can make it to the library and grab a pint at the pub and be back home in about 25 minutes...not that it happens often (the pub part).

I  never gotten around buying Playing in the Band, because of the above reason. Actually, I think I have a pdf file of the Playing book on my hard drive.

I think I bought that book for next to nothing a long time ago. At the start of every semester there use to be a guy selling used books in the student union. I am pretty sure that is where I found it. 

I have a floor ticket available for me for the Atlanta show next week.  $100…not sure it's worth it.  I don't want to get there and be all pissed off by the sluggish tempo of all the songs.  It's ironic, because Bob was playing some tunes (Jack Straw, Playin') so fast in the latter years of the Dead.  I do like Mayer's playing though.  Totally compelling.  And, of course I love drums and Bob's playing.  I watched some of the webcast last week, and just kind of got bored though.  From the reviews here, it sounds like a pretty goo time.  Not sure.

I'm not down for paying $100, either. Shit, I'm not even sure I'd drop the &75 for the "cheap" tix here in CO. We'll see. My wife wants to go so we'll likely go. I'm cool with listening/watching on streams....

I have a floor ticket available for me for the Atlanta show next week.  $100…not sure it's worth it.  I don't want to get there and be all pissed off by the sluggish tempo of all the songs.  It's ironic, because Bob was playing some tunes (Jack Straw, Playin') so fast in the latter years of the Dead.  I do like Mayer's playing though.  Totally compelling.  And, of course I love drums and Bob's playing.  I watched some of the webcast last week, and just kind of got bored though.  From the reviews here, it sounds like a pretty goo time.  Not sure.

Whether its worth $100 or some other $xx amount is a personal choice. I can't recommend you spend it, or not.  I spent a little over $100 for a good seat in the lodge once I decided I wanted to go.  But that's me, once I decide I want to go spending $125 for a single seat (I would think longer if this was a show my wife wanted to go to) isn't an issue.  Also blew almost half a day of work to get out to Worcester in time.  But bottom line for me is I had a great time (despite the sluggish mid-tempo of every first set song) and would go again if they were playing tonight.  I think this is an excellent version of a GD band.  I suggest you see them, how much to spend I can't weigh in on.

Listening to Mayer's solo on Dear Prudence starting at about the 5:00 minute mark may help you make your decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5grSa_57Zw

Whether its worth $100 or some other $xx amount is a personal choice. I can't recommend you spend it, or not.  I spent a little over $100 for a good seat in the lodge once I decided I wanted to go.  But that's me, once I decide I want to go spending $125 for a single seat (I would think longer if this was a show my wife wanted to go to) isn't an issue.  Also blew almost half a day of work to get out to Worcester in time.  But bottom line for me is I had a great time (despite the sluggish mid-tempo of every first set song) and would go again if they were playing tonight.  I think this is an excellent version of a GD band.  I suggest you see them, how much to spend I can't weigh in on.

Listening to Mayer's solo on Dear Prudence starting at about the 5:00 minute mark may help you make your decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5grSa_57Zw

Right, if you really want to go, then cost is not an issue. Thanks for the link :-)

Right, if you really want to go, then cost is not an issue. Thanks for the link :-)

Unfortunately for me (us), cost is often an issue. I usually need to weigh the cost of the entertainment against a bunch of other factors. Either way, I'd like to catch a show or two....

I originally bought a pair of tickets to the Atlanta show and planned to take my wife (a semi-fan). After thinking about the additional $$$ a babysitter would run me, I decided to sell our pair and try to find a cheap single.  I've been checking Ticketmaster every few days and over the weekend a single GA popped up, so I grabbed it.  $100 is steep for sure, but I justified it to myself.  I'd kinda moved away from the Dead but after seeing Bob Weir open the Americanarama show a few years back (and reading these multiple GD threads religiously) I've been on a bit of a revival.

Unfortunately for me (us), cost is often an issue. I usually need to weigh the cost of the entertainment against a bunch of other factors. Either way, I'd like to catch a show or two....

About 10 minutes after I posted this I found out they released more tix to the sold out CO shows, told my wife, and she purchased tix for the first night.... heh.

About 10 minutes after I posted this I found out they released more tix to the sold out CO shows, told my wife, and she purchased tix for the first night.... heh.

Good move Mrs. Lammy!

I know JRAD's coming to Denver, encouraging my son and girlfriend to go. Have you seen them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on that I did same caught a drop here.

One point is get there early as they go one at ticketed time.

So glad I gtg hope they keep it going after this run.

Enjoy your show !

Good move Mrs. Lammy!

I know JRAD's coming to Denver, encouraging my son and girlfriend to go. Have you seen them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, saw them at The Ogden a little over a year ago. Probably the best show of last year for me. Your boy lives in Denver, eh?

Yeah, saw them at The Ogden a little over a year ago. Probably the best show of last year for me. Your boy lives in Denver, eh?

Yes, just moved there last month. He and his girlfriend are 25. We were out to visit mid-October. Had only been to CO to ski, so loved being there in nice weather. We didn't want to leave. My goal is to now finally get to a show at Red Rocks. Starting today we are all celebrating wife's birthday in Austin. Landed this morning, never been.

Yes, just moved there last month. He and his girlfriend are 25. We were out to visit mid-October. Had only been to CO to ski, so loved being there in nice weather. We didn't want to leave. My goal is to now finally get to a show at Red Rocks. Starting today we are all celebrating wife's birthday in Austin. Landed this morning, never been.

Ha my Wife and I went last November couple of tips;

Get out of Austin by :20 mins and hit Gruen Hall! Live music nightly. http://gruenehall.com

Hank Williams, Johnny Cash Patsy Cline Zac Brown have all played in the place it breathes real country. Stop in for a beer it's open the day.Also the the general store across the street. For barbecue hit Salt Lick.