Good set list last night. I figured Stranger and Help/Slip were up. I thought about heading down to look for a cheap ticket. Played chess with kids (10 and 7 year-olds who kill me!) and went to bed early instead. I've liked what I've heard and Oteil really seems to be opening up. Just can't get past Mayer's stage presence and the slow tempo. Set lists really look like latter day Dead. That pre-drums is just a dream set :)

I gotta say, I'd much rather see DSO these days.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, I'd much rather see DSO these days.

So, if D&C, DSO and JRAD were playing your town on the same night, who would you go see?

I was going to include Phil in that quiz, but at least for me it depends on who's in his band on any given night, so I left him out.  Of those 3, I know how I would answer.

I really enjoyed the show last night.  Ended up in GA and got there about 6:30 and was two people off the rail in between Oteil and John and had an incredible view.  I'd heard enough YouTube performances of the slowed down Cold Rain & Snow so I was prepped for that, but the slower pace on Bertha really bummed me out.  That's pretty much the only song I thought the tempo was an issue.  One of my favorite parts of the night were the interplay between Jeff & John.  They did this thing near the end (Morning Dew?) where John would do a little solo riff, then Jeff would mimic it on his organ and they were cracking each other up.  John more than held his own up there and, being so close, i could really see the interplay between him and Bob and it was just super cool.  You could really tell that John was in awe of sharing the stage with those guys.

So, if D&C, DSO and JRAD were playing your town on the same night, who would you go see?

I was going to include Phil in that quiz, but at least for me it depends on who's in his band on any given night, so I left him out.  Of those 3, I know how I would answer.

Good question. I'm so finicky about post Jerry stuff. Probably JRAD. You?

I really enjoyed the show last night.  Ended up in GA and got there about 6:30 and was two people off the rail in between Oteil and John and had an incredible view.  I'd heard enough YouTube performances of the slowed down Cold Rain & Snow so I was prepped for that, but the slower pace on Bertha really bummed me out.  That's pretty much the only song I thought the tempo was an issue.  One of my favorite parts of the night were the interplay between Jeff & John.  They did this thing near the end (Morning Dew?) where John would do a little solo riff, then Jeff would mimic it on his organ and they were cracking each other up.  John more than held his own up there and, being so close, i could really see the interplay between him and Bob and it was just super cool.  You could really tell that John was in awe of sharing the stage with those guys.

Jeff really is nailing it. And, it's obvious everyone his having fun! Good for the :)

Dark Star Orchestra for me because I like the way they play the songs better than the other bands.  Its also a helluva lot cheaper than going to see D&C and in much smaller venues.  My answer might be different if I hadn't seen the Grateful Dead so many times.

I have not seen JRAD and I know a lot of people hold them in high esteem, but the videos I've watched have not impressed me.  I don't think Russo alone on drums is sounds beefy enough.  He doesn't do anything that impressive to me.  Same for the bass.  If you want a great rock 'n' roll band, you gotta have a great rhythm section and JRAD, IMO, does not.

Dark Star Orchestra for me because I like the way they play the songs better than the other bands.  Its also a helluva lot cheaper than going to see D&C and in much smaller venues.  My answer might be different if I hadn't seen the Grateful Dead so many times.

I have not seen JRAD and I know a lot of people hold them in high esteem, but the videos I've watched have not impressed me.  I don't think Russo alone on drums is sounds beefy enough.  He doesn't do anything that impressive to me.  Same for the bass.  If you want a great rock 'n' roll band, you gotta have a great rhythm section and JRAD, IMO, does not.

Though you are right - it is cheaper to see DSO than D&C -- but after fees, it usually around $40 or so to see DSO when they pass through Chicago -- to me that's too much money for a cover band.

I think I am paying around $60 (with fees) to see D&C this Friday ---- granted it's at a hockey rink and I will be up in the mezzanine, while DSO will be playing a small, great theater (The Vic) - I rather pay the extra $20 to see Bobby, Billy, and Mickey (with others).

Good question. I'm so finicky about post Jerry stuff. Probably JRAD. You?

JRAD, definitely.  I say that with such certainty, having never seen DSO.  I have lots of friends who love 'em, and always encourage me to go, but something about the replication of GD shows always creeped me out.  I don't even know if they still do that.

Funny, I think Russo is an awesome drummer.  He and Glenn are definitely my top 2 favorite rock drummers. I love the way they both play.

DSO is just so tight.  And, yes, they play the arrangements I've become accustomed to.  Also, it's no hassle to see them and it is cheap!

I've seen DSO a lot, and JRAD once (and Dead & CO never- until next week) and would choose to see JRAD if I had to choose one. Save for the Quintet, probably the best post-GD stuff I've seen/heard.

My two cents on the ensembles after Jerry passed is that I always loved rat dog with Wasserman on the stand up.

Cheap tickets, low key venues, acoustic stuff and lots of great tunes. The years with Sylvester before he got sick were also great. Some great shows 2002-2005.

Never really dug the other ones, the dead or further. Not a Warren, Jimmy Herring or JK fan.

Same with Phil and friends, except when Chris Robinson or Jackie Greene is part of the band.

The Fare Thee Well sampler has been up on NPR for a free listen since last week

I listened to a couple songs - pretty brutal, in my humble opinion.

I can't imagine wanting to purchase these, but to each their own. 

They're also releasing Circles Around the Sun- Interludes for the Dead, the tunes Neal Casal, etc. recorded for the FTW shows. Pretty wild that nothing was prepared prior to recording nor added afterwards. http://www.dead.net/store/2000s/circles-around-sun-neal-casal-interludes-dead-2cd?cmpid=dn/2015November19/ComingSoonCircl-MoreInfo-main-more-1&eml=2015November19/2912747/6131962&etsubid=39856296

Just curious: Does anyone here listen to recordings of any post-GD groups (bought/dl'ed/whatever)? I listen to some Ratdog now and again and P&F now and again, but I don't think I've ever re-listened to FTW, The Dead, Other Ones, etc. Any time I think about putting a show on from any f them, I talk myself out thinking: why not just listen to the real deal good stuff?

Just curious: Does anyone here listen to recordings of any post-GD groups (bought/dl'ed/whatever)? I listen to some Ratdog now and again and P&F now and again, but I don't think I've ever re-listened to FTW, The Dead, Other Ones, etc. Any time I think about putting a show on from any f them, I talk myself out thinking: why not just listen to the real deal good stuff?

There's too much GD and JGB stuff that I have yet to listen to, and that definitely takes priority.

Hardly ever listen to any post-Jerry GD music.  Occasionally a Q show, and I'll listen to audio or YouTube videos before and after seeing one of the bands. I follow the JRAD YouTube channel so I'll watch those pro shot videos on the home theater. But when I'm going to pick out audio to listen to, what's the point of listening to any of it other than the authentic GD?

I have a couple recordings of post Jerry shows that I attended that I've never listened to. I do want to watch the video of the first night of FTW though. Since I was behind the stage, I'd like to see how the stage and light show looked.

although i have a couple quintet favorite shows, and 2 or 3 sweet Furthur recordings, I'd call my grateful dead universe listening experience about 96% GD to 11% gdu (including jerryband and solo stuff), cause I'm good at math.

Generally just listen to post-Dead shows I've attended, exception being Ratdog which I find unlistenable, walked out on their last show I attended. Sooooooo boooooooring. Listen to a few other Q shows, and Phil with Trey. That's about it. Too much quality real Dead out there to devote much time to anything post 95. 

I've listened to a few clips of the Mayer stuff just to check it out. Sounds fine, but rather listen to the real thing. Seems some people are getting real excited about it. Can't relate.

Pretty relevant statement on FTW and Trey vs. Mayer from Weir given some of the discussion in here:

How does Mayer compare to Phish's Trey Anastasio, who was part of the "Fare Thee Well" shows?

"It's hard to compare them," Weir said. "John plays a lot of way cool blues licks that Jerry never did. Trey has his own wheelhouse, but we couldn't manage to get as much rehearsal in as I would have liked. For me, Trey was the MVP of that event, but I think we all could have done a bit better in all our given roles with more rehearsal."

http://www.twincities.com/music/ci_29139140/dead-kick-it-up-notch-john-mayers-company

Ridiculous that they didn't really rehearse as a full band for FTW, given their magnitude, and that they've since become the highest grossing event by a single band in concert history. Hard not to be cynical about that. It was a fun event, but musically could've been so much more. 

Pretty relevant statement on FTW and Trey vs. Mayer from Weir given some of the discussion in here:

How does Mayer compare to Phish's Trey Anastasio, who was part of the "Fare Thee Well" shows?

"It's hard to compare them," Weir said. "John plays a lot of way cool blues licks that Jerry never did. Trey has his own wheelhouse, but we couldn't manage to get as much rehearsal in as I would have liked. For me, Trey was the MVP of that event, but I think we all could have done a bit better in all our given roles with more rehearsal."

http://www.twincities.com/music/ci_29139140/dead-kick-it-up-notch-john-mayers-company

Ridiculous that they didn't really rehearse as a full band for FTW, given their magnitude, and that they've since become the highest grossing event by a single band in concert history. Hard not to be cynical about that. It was a fun event, but musically could've been so much more. 

This really pisses me off.  It was my expectation though and they delivered.  You could tell everyone was just following Bob, who can't lead a band to save his live. Trey was hesitant because he had no idea what was coming next.  I'm sure Bob called songs that they hadn't rehearsed.  I don't know why Bruce put up with it. Or any of them, for that matter.

What the hell were they doing all spring?!  There's no excuse for not rehearsing.  GD could get away with it because they were a seasoned band of many decades.  That doesn't work in a one off.  

As far as listened to post-jerry stuff, I'm just kind of taking a break from all of it now.  The hype has just exhausted me.  I do listen to the Ratdog studio album and the Other Ones live set once in a while.  I'd pick up a curated set of Dead and Co like that set.

Agree on Bob not being able to lead a band to save his life. Last time I saw Ratdog, the other musicians were watching him wondering what the hell he would do next, and he's just off in his own little world. He needs some stronger personalities and musicians to keep him in check. 

Bruce really was a waste of talent at FTW. Not sure why they bothered inviting him.

Got the Relisten app on my phone, so listened to the 2/18/01 Q show while working out (humble brag). Only got through the first 2 songs in 45 minutes. Pretty good energy jamming and all, but a bit too much to start a show.

Agree on Bob not being able to lead a band to save his life. Last time I saw Ratdog, the other musicians were watching him wondering what the hell he would do next, and he's just off in his own little world. He needs some stronger personalities and musicians to keep him in check. 

Bruce really was a waste of talent at FTW. Not sure why they bothered inviting him.

Got the Relisten app on my phone, so listened to the 2/18/01 Q show while working out (humble brag). Only got through the first 2 songs in 45 minutes. Pretty good energy jamming and all, but a bit too much to start a show.

I really hoped Bruce would come in and at least throw some weight around with the hope that he wouldn't look stupid.  Oh (Fare Thee)Well.  Will probably check out some Phil after my self induced hiatus.

I have maybe a half dozen Other Ones shows from '98 that get aired out on occasion (mostly at work, on cassette), and maybe a dozen Q shows (mostly from '01, when they were KILLING) that get played here, but it's about 95% GD for me. I probably listen to about 40 hours of GD a week. No Ratdog whatsoever.