Thanks - I'll check that out.

I'm not an exactly perfect expert on such things - but I wonder if some of what Trey was doing in Hell In A Bucket is what use to be called the "Tiger Jam".

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting kinda excited about the upcoming GD show I have a ticket for.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to worldrecordplayer and winterland121072 for chatting up the 73 Winterland box set in the last thread. I found a copy on Amazon for not too much above the original price. 

It's great. 

My Apple had a tough time reading the HDCDs, but I was able to import the whole set. 

I'm getting kinda excited about the upcoming GD show I have a ticket for.

Me too --- plans with friends are coming together, nicely --- cell phones makes this easy nowadays. Back in the day, every hour and on the hour, one of us would head to big light tower that was in the Soldier Field lot every hour and on the hour - to hook up with people coming in for the shows - which was always kinda of fun.

Looking at a picture of the stage at Soldier Field - it looks like they took out a section of sets in the north end - so my tickets that are listed as side of the stage - should actually not be on the side, at least from the pic of my view from my section I saw the net.

Also that 73 WInterland set is great.

I have obstructed seats on the north end, sec 350. Its gonna be great!

Btw, I wanna see Donna. It'd be pretty mean if they don't ask her to sing a few tunes.

Yeah - I am all for Donna --- plus it would be great if Hunter makes an appearance. Barlow just went through some heavy duty medical procedures - he's on the mend, but not sure if he can travel - it would be great to see him, too.

Hopefully there won't too, too many guests, though - it seems like everybody is in town - musician wise.

Below is the stage pic -- guessing it's legit, but got it from a board, so who knows. My section for the weekend will be 242. Definitely will wonder around a bit - I am assuming.

11694741_10206005440148839_3591124200121

I plan on doing a whole lot of wandering....if I get in.

My buddy that I'm going with has tried to see the GD at Soldier Field three times. Each time either he or the folks he was with lost the tickets (also, car keys once). I plan on asking for my ticket from him asap.

One time I got shut out of one Soldier Field show, because stupidly I left my ticket in my friends car (for safe keeping), I was away from the car when my friends went into the show and of course I didn't have the key. (My friends figured, rightfully so, that I had my ticket on my person) --- They came out of the show and asked what happen to me - I think they were more bummed about it than I was - Had fun in the lot regardless - think it was 93.

(Flash forward 15 years from 93 - I left my keys in my brother's car before a canoe/fishing trip, again for safe keeping, and realized about 3/4 ways down of about 35 mile run that I needed my keys to drive us back to point A - my car was at our pull out spot --- luckily someone at point B, drove my brother back to Point A to grab his truck and my keys. --- you would of thought I would have learned)

Ah, that "safe keeping" stuff gets you every time. My bud lost his car keys at the show because he tied them to his shoe laces for safe keeping. See, he didn't want them to fall out of his pocket......and....yeah.....

Because he lost the tickets and keys, he decided to sleep under his car in the lot but the acid wouldn't let him.

Tomorrow could be a loooong day.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to worldrecordplayer and winterland121072 for chatting up the 73 Winterland box set in the last thread. I found a copy on Amazon for not too much above the original price. 

It's great. 

My Apple had a tough time reading the HDCDs, but I was able to import the whole set. 

Hey, no problem, my pleasure.  Glad you found it and are digging it.  Man, i think it's awesome (I've said that once or twice before around these parts  :wave  )

A couple of years ago I upgraded some of my home stereo equipment and got a new CD player that has a HDCD decoder built in.  Whoa, those GD releases always sounded good, but with a real HDCD decoder they just open up so much more.

Hey, no problem, my pleasure.  Glad you found it and are digging it.  Man, i think it's awesome (I've said that once or twice before around these parts  :wave  )

A couple of years ago I upgraded some of my home stereo equipment and got a new CD player that has a HDCD decoder built in.  Whoa, those GD releases always sounded good, but with a real HDCD decoder they just open up so much more.

Likewise - no problem...I have my favorite shows and 11.11.1973 is ____way____ up there...

I plan on doing a whole lot of wandering....if I get in.

My buddy that I'm going with has tried to see the GD at Soldier Field three times. Each time either he or the folks he was with lost the tickets (also, car keys once). I plan on asking for my ticket from him asap.

Couple of Soldier's Field stories.

The entrance line was bottle necked and the band was on stage.  I was so pissed because I was sure they were going to open with Shakedown (up in the rotation.  Finally got in and the band busted into Touch!  Joke's on me.

Also, another time I decided to sit higher up so I could have some room.  Some crazy dude was up there in a unitard stretching out to dance, as he said.  Also, there were some non-heads next to me and I wowed them with my magic of being able to call songs.  Loved studying the set lists and predicting.  So fun!  My friends and I always bet on them with points for right song in the right spot in the right set.

I listened to/watched the webcast of night 1 in a packed bar at full volume with lots of people dancing and I was pretty blown away at the setlist and how deep they went into the aggressive and chaotic jamming.  I'm sure the environment caused me to overlook the flaws, but I didn't notice them at all at the time.  I was in perma-grin and dancing my ass off.    I was shocked at how good the show was ( I had pretty low expectations based on what Furthur played like for the past several years) and came out really optimistic that the entire 5 nights were actually going to do justice to the Dead's legacy.  I thought it was pretty fantastic.

Night two was at a friend's house, not loud, no dancing, just not conducive to getting in to the show with his family around. Some of it was the environment again, but the music sounded so tepid and tentative and lethargic, which was what I was pretty much expecting and why I made no effort to attend any of these shows.  I agree, Bruce is underutilized or just did not play aggressively at all like he used  to in the 90s.  Phil looked completely frustrated in Row Jimmy when he dropped his hands and just stopped playing.   Trey was not as good as he was on night one.  Bobby is better on the group vocals (Cumberland, Uncle John's) or when the lyrics are not the main part of the song,  (The Other One).

Night two was pretty boring and lackluster for me. It was night and day compared to the first show, for me. I read people say they were bummed they missed night two and went to night one instead which I can't believe.  How could anyone be bummed over a show with Dark Star, ST. STEPHEN for chrissakes, and the Eleven and Viola Lee Blues and Morning Dew and someone thinks the next night was better? That would have been an absolutely unimaginable dream setlist for almost any Head I knew back in the 80s and 90s. I also thought the performances of these songs were very good, too, not just a great setlist.  Chaotic space, aggressive jamming, some big crescendos, all the stuff that makes Grateful Dead music good to me.

I thought Trey was pretty good on night one especially in the Dew.  Night two he seemed more tentative.  Maybe he got going just a little bit in Alabama and Bucket, but overall nothing impressive. I'm hoping at least one of the Chicago shows is as good as night one of the San Jose run.  I hope they find their groove like they did in Viola and other songs on night one and let it ride instead of forcing songs to end.  I hope Bruce and Trey stepup more aggressively and don't let Bobby cut short the jams.  I'm not all that optimistic, but they did it once on night one so they could do it again if it all lines up right.

I'm wary, but I'm going to see them at the movies tonight.  Should be fun with a crowd.  I really wish they'd just chosen 30 songs and played faux shows before the real deal.  Also, simplify the arrangements.  Let Trey just play guitar, let Bob sing his songs, let Phil sing his and let Bruce sing Jerry.  Switch off between Bob and Bruce.  Also, get the Further backup singers.  Ugh, the harmonies are terrible.

Still kind of excited for tonight.  Wonder if we'll get any repeats?

I expect a lot of the stuff from first night in SC will get repeated - Truckin, UJB, Dark Star, Other One, St Steve, Dew - some of their classic tunes. From the 2nd night, Eyes and Sugar Mags. Based on an interview with Trixie Garcia in Billboard, there at least seems to be an awareness amongst insiders that Trey needs to be more assertive, so hopefully he will attempt and be allowed to do so. Regardless, it ain't gonna be 8/27/72, but it should be a fun time. 

XM hosts are saying nice things about Solid Sound, including on site interviews with Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell

Last night was fun in the theater.  Box was a great opener and Trey fit in quite well.  Jack Straw was okay, however Bob is trying to direct the band to jam in between sections and no one seems to know what's going on.  What happened to that kill opening riff?  That song should've killed. but just kind of plodded along.  Music was the highlight of the first set.  Tight and fun.  Bertha was good.  Wheel was wierd in the first set and just petered out.  Again, Bob leading the band in thes sluggish versions with extra jamming between verses seems to lead to confusion on stage.  Passenger was a surprise.  Again, who's sololing, when?

Mason's to open second set was cool.  Kind of a train wreck.  Scarlet>Fire was great, although, again, Bruce sang over Trey's solos.  The middle jam was a highlight of the night.  The ending was horrible.  Like everyone forgot they were supposed to yell Fire then into drums.  Watching drums up close was very cool.  New Potato was kind of goofy.  Playing was competent and the jam went out there.  Very spacy.  Getting into Let it Grow was kind of a mess, but that turned out okay.  Continued lack luster noodling from Trey.  Bob sang great on that.  I was sure that was the end and when the busted into Help I got very interested.  Trey fucked up the parts.  Slipknot was a lost opportunity for Trey to really let loose with his effects.  Not so.  The move into Franklin's was miffed, wierd and fast.  At this point I left the movie theater. 

I'll just say that the hype around this whole thing is fun and the energy is palpable.  However, after the opening notes the problems arise.  Lack of rehearsal, lack of planning, lack of utilizing Bruce (why is he there...hell, why is Jeff there).  And worst of all is Trey.  He's a shadow of his former self.  He just plays notes now without any melody or coherent solo.  He's lost his tension release style and really seams like he's tired of playing anything but riffs here and there and not interested in melting face, like in the early 90s.  Even in his own band his playing just lacks energy.  Rift is snooze fest.  Hood goes no where etc.  His sound has no sustain and the bottom end is lacking and he just misses notes.  Everytime he tried to do a fairly fast run, he fucked up.  Of course his mediocre style of playing fits the band at this point, as long as he's playing the right notes.  However, can you imagine Trey ripping into a solo a la a 95-96 Hydrogen at the beginning of Slipknot.  Busting up the distortion and octave pedal and building up so much tension that the crowd goes nuts with a beautiful, worked out seague into Let it Grow where Weir follows Trey. 

On can dream.  His guitar sound really fits in with band and really could be something special if Trey would just get his shit together and bust out BFFCFM into ?

I can only speak for Santa Clara, I found it very enjoyable, not trascendent of course. But they can play those songs even asleep and should have rehearsed how to finish them and/or the segues, which they don't seem to. Trey is ok in my book, at least in those shows.

I have enjoyed nearly every bit of these shows that I've heard. Perfect? No. Nothing more than a massive money grab? Bullshit. I'd pay $200 to hear this version of the Dead before I'd drop $5 on whatever the hell the Pixies are these days. I wish I could find the right words to articulate what I think they're trying to do. Closure? Something like that maybe. Most of it has sounded very good to my novice ears.

Last night exceeded my expectations. Certainly stepped it up a notch and more rehearsed than in SC. First set has incredible top to bottom, particularly the Music Never Stopped. Trey's intro lick in that tune, and his guitar throughout were insane. Partying with friends, so didn't notice flaws sounds like others did, but certainly they seemed to be more patient and allowing the jams to build, despite a few hiccups. Not sure why they're playing Mason's or New Potato, with so many other classic tunes on the shelf unlikely to be played. Would prefer not to hear Let it Grow in the back half of a second set either. Other than those gripes, what a show, what a night. 

I have enjoyed nearly every bit of these shows that I've heard. Perfect? No. Nothing more than a massive money grab? Bullshit. I'd pay $200 to hear this version of the Dead before I'd drop $5 on whatever the hell the Pixies are these days. I wish I could find the right words to articulate what I think they're trying to do. Closure? Something like that maybe. Most of it has sounded very good to my novice ears.

I like your attitude.  It's a great way to look at it.

Pretty sure no repeats up till at lease after the first set tonight. 3 shows and tonight so far. Pretty cool. Listening on XM. They are going deep. Standing on the moon from built to last among others.