Went Tuesday night, blew off Wed. It was ok. Not magical by any means. We were on the floor, good sound and lights and Bob sounded in good form. But, I couldn't really get over looking up and seeing Mayer for a whole show. My hang up. I guess. Plus, as good as Oteil is, Phill is a big gaping hole that is noticeably missed. Overall, left with a feeling of stoicism even though it was a fun night with lots of friends around having a hoot.

A few friends over for Thanksgiving yesterday split for Vegas shows after dinner and wanted me to go. Wasnt going to spend the money for any more shows....

This was my reasoning for not going. Phil really is missed.  Best thing about the Dead was that you could focus on any one instrument and be totally satisfied.  I could listen to Phil for entire songs at a time.  I wonder if they'll do a summer tour with other bands.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like another "must read" book, this one  by Gans and Blair Jackson (listed at $32 but on Amazon for $18):

http://www.sfgate.com/books/article/This-Is-All-a-Dream-We-Dreamed-An-Oral-6658203.php

I am up to 1974 - which is about 2/3rds of the book -- real good, thus far. They interviewed some of the Dead office workers - which for me is kinda cool - a different perspective of the events.

Just got an email from my library that new Jerry on Jerry: the unpublished Jerry Garcia Interviews is in for me -- guess I will roll right into that. I guess there audio version has the actual audio interviews with Garcia on it - that might be cool to listen to.

I am up to 1974 - which is about 2/3rds of the book -- real good, thus far. They interviewed some of the Dead office workers - which for me is kinda cool - a different perspective of the events.

Just got an email from my library that new Jerry on Jerry: the unpublished Jerry Garcia Interviews is in for me -- guess I will roll right into that. I guess there audio version has the actual audio interviews with Garcia on it - that might be cool to listen to.

Oh man, I will need to do the audio for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAzRUDCNTtA

Other Ones '98.  Karan is great.  Best post jerry line up, imho. Tight, young(er) and well rehearsed.

Oh yes!With all the hype surrounding this current incarnation let's not  forget about this one - my favorite of all the post Garcia lineups.

Trey interview in the January Guitar World shares this fun tidbit on FTW. Did you know FTW backwards is WTF?

The January 2015 issue of Guitar World magazine features an interview with Phish frontman Trey Anastasio. Anastasio also appears on the cover of the issue, which hits newsstands soon and is available for purchase here. Anastasio discusses many topics with journalist Alan Paul including the Fare Thee Well shows, the history and future of Phish and the recent changes to his guitar rig. Within Trey's chat with Alan, he shared a fascinating story about the "Attics Of My Life" that ended the final Fare Thee Well show with Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann as well as Jeff Chimenti and Bruce Hornsby on July 5 in Chicago.

Paul asked Anastasio what he learned about preparation from his time writing music for the 2011 Broadway musical Hands On A Hardbody. Trey said he learned a lot and detailed an anecdote from Fare Thee Well: "Here’s one that even Bobby [Weir] and Phil [Lesh] don’t know. The three of us sat down to discuss what to play and Phil said, 'All I know is, I want to end with ‘Attics of My Life.’ I’m like, 'Great, I’m crying already, but when are we gonna learn the harmonies?' Because that song modulates and it’s a capella three-part harmony! I offered to write a chart and they were like, 'That’s kind of geeky. We’ll figure it out.' We sat down at a piano and it was cool but I knew everyone would forget his parts and lo and behold, we tried it again and nobody was taking Jerry’s melody.

These guys don’t rehearse much because they don’t really hang out, so we had five days for five shows and never got to 'Attics.' Phil said 'We’ll sing it in soundcheck every day.' Soundchecks came and went, and we still didn’t know it. So I called [Trey collaborator] Jeff [Tanski] and said, 'I need an exact transcription of the album version.' I didn’t even tell the guys. I just handed a copy to Bruce: 'This is your part and this is my part. I’ll hit the highs and the other guys will fill in the notes.' I was reading off the chart because I wanted someone to sing the melody!" Anastasio and the band did a fine job with "Attics" which was the emotional high point of the entire run.

It does kinda of suck that they didn't rehearse more for these show. They probably would have sold a lot music on the back end if they did, but I guess the band has never been that interested in selling records/DVDs.

It's pretty obvious the core four are not that close -- I am thinking the Billy/Mickey and Phil don't get along. Bobby seems to be stuck in the middle between the two camps.

What you gonna do.

Don't they have audio and visual packages from the FTW shows that are selling? They made something like $55 M for 5 shows as it was....Shit, I likely wouldn't hang out with a bunch of guys I've known since my late teens/early 20s that much either, except for get-togethers (shows). They get along well enough to still play with each other on occasion, and that's cool.

http://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/phil-lesh-buys-marin-county-property/

Don't they have audio and visual packages from the FTW shows that are selling? Shit, they made something like $55 M for 5 shows as it was....Shit, I likely wouldn't hang out with a bunch of guys I've known since my late teens/early 20s that much either, except for get-togethers (shows). They get along well enough to still play with each other on occasion, and that's cool.

http://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/phil-lesh-buys-marin-county-property/

Yeah they are selling FTW DVDs and CD's --- if they would have played better, I probably would have bought it, but after re-watching the shows, I decided not to actually buy any of the packages that they are selling.

It was a great time - but I doubt would revisit the shows too often, because at the end of the day the music wasn't all that great. Perhaps if they actually rehearsed more, I would have sprung some more dough and bought it.

They probably get along well enough to go on stage (an make lots of money) but not enough to get in room and hash out some tunes. Of course they were never a band that really did that or least least since the mid to late 70s, so I guess I understand.

Not to pan the shows (I wasn't even at any of them) but I have no desire to re-visit them, either. A good friend kept pressing my to send  him a flash drive so he could download all the shows for me and I didn't want to waste a flash drive.

They sounded like they rehearsed enough to pull off (at times, a little awkwardly) a fistful of shows....

I am not completing panning the shows -- though it may appear that I am. I just wish it would have been better is all. Awkward is a apt word for the shows. After watching some of the web-casts everyone seemed tentative.

I got the web-cast feeds from a kind poster here -- definitely glad I have them.

I just can't imagine not giving a shit enough to rehearse for a few shows much less a 50% anniversary culmination event that was to be telecasted and the return of the 'Grateful Dead'.  I just wouldn't do it.  What audacity and such a big fuck you to the fans.  Alas, the fans made it good.  However, the more I hear about what actually went on the more I lean toward not liking the band and it's legacy.  It ends with a version of one of their most intricate songs but they don't even bother working on it?  Just absolutely ridiculous.  'I want to do attics, but not really rehearse it!'  Whatever!  I can't believe how much money I gave these guys and the money they are making on this DVD.  Pick up Casal's interlude music.  That's actually worth the money and and a worthy tribute.

Of course this is all my opinion, but man!

They did rehearse, just not "much", whatever that means. I guess they rehearsed as much as they felt they needed to to pull off 5 shows, which probably doesn't require a shit load of rehearsing. 

And yes, I want to listen to the Casal and company discs that recently came out....

I listened to Dick's Pick 14 last night --- Disc 4  from 12/2/73.

Disc four
  1. “Playing in the Band” > (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 12:09
  2. “Jam” (Grateful Dead) > – 15:39
  3. “He's Gone” > (Garcia, Hunter)– 10:27
  4. Truckin'” > (Garcia, Phil Lesh, Weir, Hunter) – 13:34
  5. “Stella Blue” (Garcia, Hunter) – 10:15
  6. “Morning Dew” (Dobson, Rose) – 14:31

Really disappointing year to be a Deadhead. Held a lot of promise, highs and lows, no one gets out of this unscathed.

On a happier note, working my way through the 30 trips box, and loving the 72 show, 9/24/72. The Dark Star jam> China Cat is perfect, and the rest of the show is insane. Incredible transition into Rider, of course, which may be the Dead's signature jam. Great Bertha earlier in the set, sure sounds to me like Phil is playing the bass line from Judy in Disguise, probably just me though.

Oh yes!With all the hype surrounding this current incarnation let's not  forget about this one - my favorite of all the post Garcia lineups.

Me too.  So much potential.  Watching Karan makes me think he really could've held his own without Kimock.  He just nails it.  I love his tone too.  He was really underutilized in Ratdog.

I really thought that incarnation would be the new Dead.  With all of the original material they played in addition to the unrecorded GD tunes I thought they would do an album and tour every summer.  Oh well.