Speaking of 73 - now listening to the 9/7/73 Eyes - off the bonus cuts from the Wake of the Flood release --- doesn't get much better. Jerry just kills on this, also enjoy Keith's electronic piano. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listened to 10/26/89 from the 80 trips box set.  very weird pre drums.  Estimated>Blow Away!>Jam*>Dark Star.  I guess Jerry and Phil left the stage and it's essentially a Brent/Bob jam.  All these inverted chords and such.  Jerry took the hint and called DS…i could see that having gone another way with Bob calling Picasso Moon or something.  wouldn't have surprised me.

A pretty stunning analysis of, among many things, the influence of the New Lost City Ramblers on Dylan and the Grateful Dead, and the hidden messages in the songs of Dylan and Hunter: 

http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2015/12/bob-dylans-secret-answer-record-uncle.html

Cool read. Thanks. Dylan and Hunter did seem to dip int same well. Fenerrio, Stagger Lee, Candyman etc.

listened to 10/26/89 from the 80 trips box set.  very weird pre drums.  Estimated>Blow Away!>Jam*>Dark Star.  I guess Jerry and Phil left the stage and it's essentially a Brent/Bob jam.  All these inverted chords and such.  Jerry took the hint and called DS…i could see that having gone another way with Bob calling Picasso Moon or something.  wouldn't have surprised me.

That show is one of the shiny nugs from that set imo. Multi track master, band in (arguably) the best form in the 80s (Fall '89, specifically), arguably the best Dark Star from the last 5 years. I really got off heavily from the upgrade from my old cassettes.

That show is one of the shiny nugs from that set imo. Multi track master, band in (arguably) the best form in the 80s (Fall '89, specifically), arguably the best Dark Star from the last 5 years. I really got off heavily from the upgrade from my old cassettes.

The 10.26 first set is really strong - one of the best of the year imho.  I really like the 10.26 star but will always find the 10.16 star pitb ujb pitb to be the best dark star since 1979...Fall 89 really was a special tour...especially with the hampton shows...

but my fave Dark Star of the 80s and 90s is definitely from 9-20-90 with the insane freakout meltdown noise jam! 

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-09-20.sbd.miller.108849.flac16

I was in the house for this one, front and center (13th row).  What a show that was.  I'm not in a position to compare and contrast it to other DS's of the era, but this night was a special one. I've been known to say second set 9-20-90 was the best single GD set I ever saw.  

I was in the house for this one, front and center (13th row).  What a show that was.  I'm not in a position to compare and contrast it to other DS's of the era, but this night was a special one. I've been known to say second set 9-20-90 was the best single GD set I ever saw.  

You were so fortunate to be at that show, wrp!  I shoulda done more East Coast shows....

I can see why you would say that! That set gets me so high when I listen. I can't think of a better post-Brent set than that off the top of my head. 9/10/91 might come close, but that MSG run is a really amazing run.

I wonder why people think this is a good idea:

A limited-run Grateful Dead bio-series is in the works at Amazon, with Bob Weir slated to executive produce and oversee all aspects of the show's music. The as-yet-untitled series is based on Steve Parish's 2003 memoir, Home Before Daylight: My Life On the Road with the Grateful Dead. In the book, Parish — who will serve as an executive producer on the show — chronicles his time as a member of the Grateful Dead's extended family, starting with his work as a roadie and later as Jerry Garcia's manager and confidant.

That is weird -- especially one based on Parish's book. Guess it be could worse - it could be based on Rock Scully's book.

Both books seem to be most tabloid-like books on the Dead -- -which I guess would make the best 'dumb entertainment' type of movie.

A great documentary on the Dead gear would be nice.

Parish is pretty good in front of the camera though.

I wonder if it is going to be shot like a documentary or one of 'music-bio movies' where actors are playing the musicians?

I read somewhere the series was going to focus on the roadies, which is at least a novel angle, I guess. I don't think the Grateful Dead experience translates very well to film, as so much of it has to do with the feelings and realizations of transcendence, whether chemically induced or not. 

When the hell is the Scorsese film gonna come out or even be finished?  That should be quality, at least.

Who knows.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4143508/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_8

The status was last updated in June - "in post-production"

And this story sheds... not much light on it either. This one's from last May.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/3864485-181/north-bay-gets-role-in?page=0

I read somewhere the series was going to focus on the roadies, which is at least a novel angle, I guess. I don't think the Grateful Dead experience translates very well to film, as so much of it has to do with the feelings and realizations of transcendence, whether chemically induced or not. 

Seriously. Surprised Weir wants a hand in it, too.

re: Scorsese film. Did this actually even happen? I'd read back and forth articles about it being on/off. Again, though, it's the 50th stuff, which doesn't impress me too much. I'd watch just because it's a Scorsese deal, though.

Scorsese's film is still on. Don't think it has anything to do with any of the 50th anni stuff, focuses on the first 30 years.

Oh wow, I always thought it was tied to the 50th stuff for some reason. This is good to know!