• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's Pick 18 should be like the below: I am fine with the pick. I don't listen to 76 all that often, though - but I have heard this show before.

Grateful Dead
Orpheum Theatre

7/17/76 -

One: The Promised Land [4:12] ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [9:18] % Mama Tried [2:43] % Deal [4:43] % New Minglewood Blues [4:47] % Peggy-O [8:37] % Big River [6:01] % Sugaree [11:13] % Johnny B. Goode [4:17]

Two: Samson And Delilah [7:16] % Comes A Time [7:48] > Jam [6:53] > The Other One Jam [0:23] > Drums [1:37] > The Other One [5:46] (2) > Space [10:09] > Eyes Of The World [6:49] > Jam [7:26] (1) > The Other One [3:42] (3) > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:22] > One More Saturday Night [5:24]

Encore U.S. Blues [6:47] ; Not Fade Away [14:21]

3rd disc Filler: 16 July set I- The Music Never Stopped [5:48] > Scarlet Begonias [10:07] (plus more)

And:

16 July (Bonus Disc for Subscribers)

Playing In The Band [3:05] > Stronger Than Dirt Or Milkin' The Turkey [12:53] > Cosmic Charlie [8:04] ; Samson And Delilah [6:53] ; Spanish Jam [9:12] > Drums [3:50] > The Wheel [6:47] > Space Jam [3:24] > Playing In The Band Reprise [2:25] > Around And Around [7:08]

There's also this:

Looking for something new for your ones and twos? Head on down to your local mom-n-pop record shop on January 19th to pick up the 3LP set Shrine Exposition Hall, Los Angeles 11/10/1967 on 180-gram vinyl. Limited to 6,700 copies, mixed by Jeffrey Norman from the 8-track analog master tapes, and mastered by Grammy-winning engineer David Glasser, this title is just one of many being released as part of Rhino's "Start Your Ear Off Right" campaign.

Somehow I can't see GD live albums being played in the club or on the radio. 

Speaking of similar, I've always liked Jay-Z's Dead by The Spin Junkies (Jay Z's Black Album with w/GD tunes mashed in). I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I get a kick out of it....

Dave's picks 18 will be something from the Bay Area, summer of '76.

one of the best second sets ___ever___ was 18 July 1976 Orpheum....Simply a masterpiece....

https://archive.org/details/gd1976-07-18.pre-fm.kbfh.berger.107832.flac16

Set 2: Might As Well ; Samson And Delilah ; Candyman ; Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication > Let It Grow > Drums > Let It Grow > Jam > Wharf Rat > Space Jam > Drums > The Other One > Saint Stephen > Not Fade Away > Saint Stephen > The Wheel > The Other One > Stella Blue ; Sugar Magnolia

Speaking of similar, I've always liked Jay-Z's Dead by The Spin Junkies (Jay Z's Black Album with w/GD tunes mashed in). I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I get a kick out of it....

Love that, my trainer turned me on to that a number of years ago.  Had never heard the Black Album, or listen to Jay-Z at all before. Would work out to it.  It's a fun album.

one of the best second sets ___ever___ was 18 July 1976 Orpheum....Simply a masterpiece....

https://archive.org/details/gd1976-07-18.pre-fm.kbfh.berger.107832.flac16

Set 2: Might As Well ; Samson And Delilah ; Candyman ; Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication > Let It Grow > Drums > Let It Grow > Jam > Wharf Rat > Space Jam > Drums > The Other One > Saint Stephen > Not Fade Away > Saint Stephen > The Wheel > The Other One > Stella Blue ; Sugar Magnolia

That's what I'm talking about. I was a bit pissed, just because I've been raving about 7/18 getting released for forever! All in all that's a really great run, though.

Studs Terkel interviewing Garcia in 1979. Can't believe this hasn't surfaced before. Studs archives are undoubtedly a real treasure. Had a cassette tape of him interviewing Dylan in 1963. And saw Studs talk once around 2001. What a legend.

Hear Jerry Garcia Talk Bruce Springsteen, Grateful Dead's Egypt Visit 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-jerry-garcia-talk-bruce-springsteen-grateful-deads-egypt-visit-20160122

it is really good, very creative

I saw a picture of a certain someone in yesterdays Tribune  :-)

Spotted that, too.

That reminds me that I owe you (NoJ) and her a copy of a Cream bootleg. It was discussed way back when Jack Bruce died. I did try to burn a cd, but I haven't done it in so long - I forgot how to do it and I gave up. Guess I need try it again.

It was fun hearing that Garcia/Studs interview.

Im pretty sure I never sent you my address either....if you get it burned, let me know. If not, no worries.