• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only during the summer? Are you a druid?

Yes, and I  keep most of the tapes in big Tupperware crates in the garage and it's conducive to listening to them on the back porch (between the house and the garage) that way....

Yup - At the end of the Eyes jam right before China Doll, Jerry most definitely runs through numerous "slipknot" cyclings...Check it out here (starting at 19:01 through 20:30)...

Thank so much! Another piece of the puzzle.

The thing with the subscription for Dave's is that I'll get all 4 shows + bonus disc for $100, which is not bad: $25/show total. If I don't get the subscription, and try to buy a la carte, there are two issues with that:

1) I will have to pay $30+ for each show I buy that way, and if I end up feeling compelled to get all 4 for the year, I've screwed myself.

2) If they release one I really want, like a super show from, say, '71 or '72, it might sell out in 24 hours, and then I'm screwed in a different way. I just don't have time to be constantly checking that board each quarter when the releases come out.

In either of those situations, I'd feel like I got screwed, and not in the fun sense of the word.  :stunned

I know I bitch about a lot of these Picks, but I also (somewhat sheepishly) acknowledge that I realize this is a serious example of a First World problem. I have been pleased as punch with a couple of the Picks, especially the '72 shows...my favorite Dead year, just a hair above '77.

I've had tons of GD live stuff over the years, going back to cassettes, VHS tapes, and SHNs and FLAC's.  I buy these official releases of shows/eras I like because I find the official recordings sound so much better than anything I acquired on the WELL or from friends, etc.  They put out great sounding discs.  And I like the booklets and photos that come with it (though for DP 17 all the photos are from outdoor shows and I didn't think this was an outside show).  Also, streaming doesn't do me any good for serious listening.   So, that's why I buy them.  I'm way past the point of feeling like I should contribute $$ to support the band. 

ding ding

I think it would be cool if they had a vault download service and then you had the option of getting a book with pics and essays about that particular show, tour or run.  Maybe even deluxe editions with a poster and t-shirt.  I remember Healy saying something like this in an early 90s interview.  I remember thinking how cool that'd be but would never happen.  I still think it'd be a great idea to sell download cards in gatefolds so you get the classic album art AND the modern convenience of mp3s.

Listening to 6/9/77, guess it was released as part of a 3 show set as Winterland June 77. Missed that one. Anywho, second set is bonkers. Garcia's tone in Help is huge, reminds me of seeing Gilmour 10 years ago, amazing to hear such a powerful sound come out of a guitar. Then a 9 minute Slipknot, and a 17 minute Franklin's! Holy cow, don't recall ever seeing a Franklin's anywhere near that long. Rest of the set is psychedelic gravy:

"Estimated Prophet" > (Weir, Barlow) – 11:36
"Saint Stephen" > (Garcia, Lesh, Hunter) – 5:30
"Not Fade Away" > (Holly, Petty) – 6:29
"Drums" > (Kreutzman, Hart) – 4:22
"Saint Stephen" > (Garcia, Lesh, Hunter) – 0:51
"Terrapin Station" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:10
"Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 9:25
June 9, 1977 — Encore:

"U.S. Blues" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:08
"One More Saturday Night" (Weir) – 5:18

The rest of the release looks good. Lot of repeats over 3 shows, but so what. Any reviews?

Oddly enough, I listened to this entire show over a couple days just last week. My CDs of it are kind of old, and the Samson kicked in somewhere after the first notes. Otherwise, I don't think I missed anything.

It's a barn burner, though I must admit my attention flagged during Franklin's. One of my favorite Help>Slip combos, though, maybe second only to the Vault release from '75. Worth owning.

Started listening to the 30 trips show from '74, which I believe is 9/18. So far, it's very solid. I think it's better than Dave's latest pick.

Yeah, that Help->Slip-> Frank is insane. The only one that comes to mind that is THAT insane is the GAMH one from Aug '75.I love everything about that 6/9/77 show. The LLR is gorgeous, too. The double encore is almost funny with the selection of U.S. Blues and its brother OMSN....

Good God, that entire show is a smoker. It even sports my favorite version of Funiculi Funicula. If there is anyone out there that hasn't heard this show yet, please please fix that immediately

Good God, that entire show is a smoker. It even sports my favorite version of Funiculi Funicula. 

YES! A couple minutes long, I believe. Then Weir says something about having a winner and things are now just exactly perfect to go on.....

I'll listen to it, too - what the hell.

I had to pull out that 73 Winterland box-set out yesterday to prove to my 4 year old daughter that there is a button that read "Good Ol' Grateful Dead".

I tend to listen to the 73 set more than the 77 one - but they are both great.

Oddly enough, I listened to this entire show over a couple days just last week. My CDs of it are kind of old, and the Samson kicked in somewhere after the first notes. Otherwise, I don't think I missed anything.

It's a barn burner, though I must admit my attention flagged during Franklin's. One of my favorite Help>Slip combos, though, maybe second only to the Vault release from '75. Worth owning.

Started listening to the 30 trips show from '74, which I believe is 9/18. So far, it's very solid. I think it's better than Dave's latest pick.

I like that 74 Dijon show a lot. Great first set, gets started with a rare UJB opener that is real rubbery. A fast version of FOTD, which makes me understand why they started it playing it slow. Worked better slow with electric instruments. Not as sprawling as most 74 shows could be, but I think that is a good thing. Show has more of an arc to it, as opposed to many 74 shows, that were all over the place with pacing, song choices.

Funny aside, I have a buddy who is the only French Deadhead in all of Dijon, maybe all of France. He is a few years too young to have attended this show, doesn't know anyone who did. Must've been quite a scene in that small city.

Yes, and I  keep most of the tapes in big Tupperware crates in the garage and it's conducive to listening to them on the back porch (between the house and the garage) that way....

I usually send you a text when I'm in the side yard grillin and chillin & let you know what cassette is in the boom box. 

I tend to listen to the 73 set more than the 77 one - but they are both great.

It's remarkable how different the band sounds just 3 1/2 years later.

I usually send you a text when I'm in the side yard grillin and chillin & let you know what cassette is in the boom box. 

It's remarkable how different the band sounds just 3 1/2 years later.

Ditto from comment 1, and it really is, from comment 2.

The musical twists and turns in the band's history is remarkable. Play  something from '66, '72, '77, acoustic '80, and maybe '88 to someone without much knowledge of the band and there's a good chance they might not make a connection that it's the same band.

That Winterland '77 box set is fantastic. 

I have these digitally through a friend and agree. It never fails when having trouble deciding what GD to put on. I just looked up on Amazon and it's listed at $875 used and $999 new. Jesus Christ.

That Fillmore set is the one to have - from a collector perspective (and perhaps a musical one, too, in my opinion) - it definitely fetches the most money in the aftermarket.

I was lucky and grab it when it went on sale.