• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After several listens to Dave's 17, I really love it. Great show.

That June 9 '77 show has such a great They Love Each Other. I really love that song from that era. Definitely my favorite 1st set song from then.

I love the slow TLEO too.  I'm trying to get my Dead cover band to do it that way.  They always want to play the fast version.

I like that 74 Dijon show a lot. Great first set, gets started with a rare UJB opener that is real rubbery. A fast version of FOTD, which makes me understand why they started it playing it slow. Worked better slow with electric instruments. Not as sprawling as most 74 shows could be, but I think that is a good thing. Show has more of an arc to it, as opposed to many 74 shows, that were all over the place with pacing, song choices.

Funny aside, I have a buddy who is the only French Deadhead in all of Dijon, maybe all of France. He is a few years too young to have attended this show, doesn't know anyone who did. Must've been quite a scene in that small city.

Also a really good To Lay Me Down from Dijon '74 except they kinda blow the ending.  Black Throated Wind and Row Jimmy from this show are also good, I think.  I liked it when Keith played that classic 70s electric piano tone (Fender Rhodes?) like on the Row Jimmy.

Really nice early stand alone Scarlet Begonias from Fresno '74, too.

The only one of those I acquired was the Fillmore West 1969 boxset. I believe people also ask hundreds of dollars for that boxset. 

I recall seeing $1500. And that was a few years ago.

Also a really good To Lay Me Down from Dijon '74 except they kinda blow the ending.  Black Throated Wind and Row Jimmy from this show are also good, I think.  I liked it when Keith played that classic 70s electric piano tone (Fender Rhodes?) like on the Row Jimmy.

Really nice early stand alone Scarlet Begonias from Fresno '74, too.

The mix on that 9/18/74 is just incredible. It might the best-sounding tape from the Wall Era.

Usually Healy bugs me with that stuff - but I thought it sounded pretty cool in this show.

The show is a bit of a mess, but fun. The Bird Song-> The Music Never Stopped-> Might As Well was pretty decent, too -- but Jerry's voice was pretty much gone by Might as Well.

I don't think I ever listened to the show before. 86 is one of those years that I don't visit often.

I, generally, get a kick out of Healy's messing with the vocals/sounds (though it's likely a key contributor to his dismissal from the band, or so II've heard/read). 

Yeah, it is a sloppy show, particularly that 1st set. Garcia's voice being shot is odd because it's only 2-3 shows into the first ones of the year, though it was the year he fell into the coma 4 months later....

I saw a pre-coma show in April '86. Not good.

I saw the Hampton shows and they were pretty good, actually ("Box" bust out, iirc) and was at the RFK shows that were, save for a few bright spots, tepid. 

Listening to the 5/16/81 show from 30 trips. Brent's keyboard sounds are less jarring than the 79 show, more assimilated into the band. Pretty nice friend of the devil, in which Brent, then Bob, then Jerry each takes a solo. Not sure if there are any tunes, other than the transition from China Cat into Rider, in which Bob and Jerry trade solos? Later in the show during the Nobody's Fault Jam, they're both playing the melody, with Bob on the slide. Cool, but it doesn't quite mesh, they sound like they're in two different bands, Jerry's sounds so clean, Bob's so dirty. Worth a listen.

Listening to the 5/16/81 show from 30 trips. Brent's keyboard sounds are less jarring than the 79 show, more assimilated into the band. Pretty nice friend of the devil, in which Brent, then Bob, then Jerry each takes a solo. Not sure if there are any tunes, other than the transition from China Cat into Rider, in which Bob and Jerry trade solos? Later in the show during the Nobody's Fault Jam, they're both playing the melody, with Bob on the slide. Cool, but it doesn't quite mesh, they sound like they're in two different bands, Jerry's sounds so clean, Bob's so dirty. Worth a listen.

The Shakedown second set opener is smmmmmmmokin' (not to mentioned it's followed up with a tight Bertha).

I agree, Shakedown for me peaked in 1979 because it was so funky.  This is my fave Shakedown of all time, New Haven 10-25-79.  It was just in 1979 that Brent was using that particularly aggressive late 70s jazz-funk organ tone.  Not sure what keyboard produced it, but I frickin' love it! (I'm not talking about the electric piano sound he starts the song with)  Starts at about 11 minutes into the Shakedown as they are heading into the jam.

https://archive.org/details/gd1979-10-25.aud-set1.sbd-set2.miller.22311.shnf

You can also hear it in the massive transition jam between Scarlet and Fire on 11-1-79 Nassau Coliseum starting about 15 minutes into the Scarlet   https://archive.org/details/gd1979-11-01.sbd.miller.23445.shnf

I gotta relisten to the 5-16-81 Shakedown.  Its a fave tune of mine, and there were good ones even into the 90s, I think.  I dig the one from Merriweather Post on 6-30-85, too.

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-06-30.sbd.miller.89192.sbeok.flac16

I don't think I ever heard the 10/25/79 2nd set, before tonight -- at least it wasn't on my hard drive nor do I have the tape.

Downloaded it off of entree - Up to Estimated --- very, very great stuff. It's kinda amazing how fast Brent fit in.

Stella Blue is pretty perfect, too  - same with Passenger.

Forgot to mention about that 81 show, the sound quality is terrible. A problem that plagued the Brent era. Sounds like a crappy audience tape at points, not an official release. 

They actually did patch an AUD tape deep in set 2 (post-Truckin-on) to complete the show. There are a few anomalies like that in a few 30 Trips shows, although usually not for more than a minute.

Not sure if there are any tunes, other than the transition from China Cat into Rider, in which Bob and Jerry trade solos?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by trading solos, but maybe you are talking about this kind of stuff?

There are not a lot of times, to my ears, when Bobby plays what I'd call lead guitar or takes a solo, other than the at-times horrendously off-key slide solos he'd take in the blues tunes (Minglewood, Rooster, Walkin' Blues, etc).    But when he did play a lead or solo or just a picked counter phrase (as opposed to his rhythm strumming) it could be really good.  He had a prominent lead part in China Cat, as you mentioned, that could really make or break the version, IMO, that was clear and strong in the early years but got increasingly lazy and sloppily played later on.  I think the best China Cats were in '72 - '74.  He also did some pretty strong guitar leads in Here Comes Sunshine, my faves being 12/19/73 and 3/23/74   http://headyversion.com/song/118/grateful-dead/here-comes-sunshine/

But take a listen to Bob's guitar in hot versions of Easy Wind in 1970, he usually took the first solo after Pig's harmonica solo and then Jerry took the second solo.  This one is my fave  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozp2P_ENBo

Another good one is https://archive.org/details/gd70-09-20.aud.remaster.sirmick.27583.sbeok.shnf

I'm not totally sure what you mean by trading solos, but maybe you are talking about this kind of stuff?

There are not a lot of times, to my ears, when Bobby plays what I'd call lead guitar or takes a solo, other than the at-times horrendously off-key slide solos he'd take in the blues tunes (Minglewood, Rooster, Walkin' Blues, etc).    But when he did play a lead or solo or just a picked counter phrase (as opposed to his rhythm strumming) it could be really good.  He had a prominent lead part in China Cat, as you mentioned, that could really make or break the version, IMO, that was clear and strong in the early years but got increasingly lazy and sloppily played later on.  I think the best China Cats were in '72 - '74.  He also did some pretty strong guitar leads in Here Comes Sunshine, my faves being 12/19/73 and 3/23/74   http://headyversion.com/song/118/grateful-dead/here-comes-sunshine/

But take a listen to Bob's guitar in hot versions of Easy Wind in 1970, he usually took the first solo after Pig's harmonica solo and then Jerry took the second solo.  This one is my fave  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozp2P_ENBo

Another good one is https://archive.org/details/gd70-09-20.aud.remaster.sirmick.27583.sbeok.shnf

Yeah, he plays the first part of the Casey solo on that album as well.  So great.  He does a little solo on the slow FOTD too.  I never found the blues solos off key.  Some of the rhythm slide stuff through out the years was horrible.  Sugaree comes to mind.