link to sincere NYT review on the weekend:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/arts/music/no-song-left-unsung-grateful-dead-plays-its-last.html

Although "never" exactly perfect, I felt the performance matched the moment.

I stuck with the couch tour listening only experience- the excellent, if not respectful,performance had plenty of hot moments/ jams, some meandering (to be expected, but "trainwrecks", people??? please) and a palpable energy from the crowd/ coverage.

That being said, a friend from work offered SC boards today.  My response to his surprise, "No, I'm good."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. The last three shows from the Europe 72 tour - that I could not find to purchase on itunes, are there now. Sweet. Significantly less expensive than on dead.net

Watched this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TydfRUh7Ba4

Jerry guesting with Los Lobos in 89. 4 songs: Buzz Buzz Buzz, Tore Down, Born on the Bayou, Suzie Q.

Not much for Garcia to do on Buzz Buzz Buzz, but they open it up for him on Tore Down.

Video is lousy, but the audio isn't bad.

One interesting thing about these shows is they were pretty much just standard Grateful Dead shows. They didn't really do anything extra or special, other than some fireworks, and putting a few second set songs in the first set. Drums>Space at every show. Could barely get a second encore out of them. Kinda cool they went out just doing what they do best, but hard not to hope for or expect a little something extra. 

Muscial highlights for me of Chicago shows:

1st night: all of the first set, great energy throughout, but particularly Music Never Stopped. When Trey hit that intro lick, it was perfect. Well jammed throughout at a nice patient pace, building up to a frenzy with an almost Wolfman's Brother/Tweezer Reprise ending. Maybe the highlight of the weekend.

2nd night: Rooster. Just kidding. Wasn't crazy about this show. Strange song selection second set pre-drums. Everything after space was the highlight for me. Weir restrained and passionate on Stella, and some nice rocking to close it out.

3rd night: Solid show. Preacher Bob in the first set with Estimated, Samson, Throwin. Don't think Built to Last or Mtns of the Moon needed to be played, but whatever. 2nd set saw this band really gell and show their potential. Cassidy was insane, taking it there and back again. Terrapin got weird. Fun and beautiful from there on out. Tears during Attics.

Overall a lot of fun, up and down until the last night which exceeded expectations emotionally and sometimes musically. Surprised they left a few tunes on the shelf: Ramble on Rose, GDTRFB, So Many Roads, Peggy O, plus a few others ahead of some of the lesser tunes played instead. Can't complain too much.

Thanks for the report.

I was just reading over Bill Walton's comments - and he notes Jeff was using an organ that belonged to Brent.

Chimenti has been using Brent's B-3 for awhile now, actually, with The Dead, Furthur, and Ratdog....

rumors starting to circulate about 2 more shows on east coast...

That's coming from Billy, who told a PBS interviewer that he thought the East Coast deadheads should have gotten some shows (damn right we should have!) and that he would be up for playing more.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/125690/Bill-Kreutzmann-Wants-East-Coast-Grateful-Dead-50-Shows

Here's what annoyed me about these shows (caveat: I did not attend any), which is no different than a typical GD show was: first set of about 75 minutes?  Then a 60 minute set break, then about 30-45 minutes of music before a 10-15 minute drums/space segment.  My timings may be off , but not by much I bet.  So for 175 minutes, there's about 100 minutes of music.  Or something like that.  The point being, I don't care how old they are, I'm not into a 60 minute set break after 75 minutes of music, and then for all intents and purposes another break for the musicians other than the drummers.  Feel free to correct me if my numbers are way off.

Don't forget to add the music being performed after Drums/ Space, but I see your point. Also- post d/s seemed to be getting shorter in the mid 80's/ 90's.

Anyone got the times (sets, d/s, and encores) from the weekend?

I've never really been a fan of the GD, but for some reason I've read a lot of this thread and found it super interesting.

How does a person even start to tackle a band's discography such as the GD?

My dad played their (I suppose I should say "an") acoustic record (cos they probably have more than 1) a lot when I was a kid.

I've never really been a fan of the GD, but for some reason I've read a lot of this thread and found it super interesting.

My dad played their acoustic record a lot when I was a kid.

I recommend starting with these two albums: Europe 72, and Live/Dead. If you enjoy those two and want to dig further, I think you'll find they lay an excellent foundation.

Sets seemed on the short side - a couple first sets with just 7 songs. One set had only two songs after Space. Thought they would try and squeeze a few more in considering this would be the last time. Think they could've done a bit more given the occasion and expense involved. They just don't give a shit.

I was fine with the set lengths and the typical set structure.

I really did not want a bunch of guests, though Donna would have been nice, as well Branford, which I heard a rumor that he was at sound check.

I am sure rehearsals were a challenge for the seven of them - throw in guests and it may have gotten even more sloppy. I was afraid with every jam-band in town doing gigs, that a bunch would play with them - glad that didn't happen.

My dad played their (I suppose I should say "an") acoustic record (cos they probably have more than 1) a lot when I was a kid.

That's a super hard question to answer.  There's a similar topic on the Hoffman Forum (probably been many) that generates zillions of responses/suggestions.  I agree with starting with Europe '72, that has to be everyone's consensus first choice.  I would then throw in next a studio release, American Beauty, for its sheer elegance in playing and timeless classics in the American songbook. Then come back here if after giving those a listen you're still interested to listen to more.  I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the direction of one or two more.  Plus, I've got tons of excellent quality live recordings (as I'm sure everyone does who posts here) so can set you up with (legal) free shares.

Here's what annoyed me about these shows (caveat: I did not attend any), which is no different than a typical GD show was: first set of about 75 minutes?  Then a 60 minute set break, then about 30-45 minutes of music before a 10-15 minute drums/space segment.  My timings may be off , but not by much I bet.  So for 175 minutes, there's about 100 minutes of music.  Or something like that.  The point being, I don't care how old they are, I'm not into a 60 minute set break after 75 minutes of music, and then for all intents and purposes another break for the musicians other than the drummers.  Feel free to correct me if my numbers are way off.

That's pretty much why i didn't go.  Going to any show these days is a real hassle.  Probably because I'm older and don't want to put up with all the waiting around that happens at any concert.  It is pretty ridiculous what fans have to go through to go and listen to a concert.  I never liked post drums and found myself leaving early after having seen several shows.  I can't stand the 'standing around!'.

That's a super hard question to answer.  There's a similar topic on the Hoffman Forum (probably been many) that generates zillions of responses/suggestions.  I agree with starting with Europe '72, that has to be everyone's consensus first choice.  I would then throw in next a studio release, American Beauty, for its sheer elegance in playing and timeless classics in the American songbook. Then come back here if after giving those a listen you're still interested to listen to more.  I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the direction of one or two more.  Plus, I've got tons of excellent quality live recordings (as I'm sure everyone does who posts here) so can set you up with (legal) free shares.

Start with American Beauty and Working Man's Dead and go forward with the discography, including official live releases like Europe 72.  After that, start digging into live shows from different eras to see what you like.  I don't think Live Dead is good place to start.  It's really out there.

SarahC - you can always go to Archive.org and listen to any of their concerts. Can't really go wrong with anything from 70-74, but their are great shows throughout every year. It's a vast database - just gotta poke around. The shows with the most reviews, tend to be the best sounding and played shows.

I agree with the Europe 72 release and American Beauty. Live/Dead is indeed great - but it may be too much for some, but if you really like Live/Dead, check out the 68-69 stuff on the Archive.

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

I've seen 3,5 out of the 5 shows (SC+Chi) till now. I've only pushed the forward button with Little Red Rooster, the more anticlimactic choice Bobby could have chosen for an event like this (later I read it was supposedly honoring Willie Dixon's 100th birthday, but still...). Highlights? The Golden Road and Trey almost everywhere, he has gained my eternal respect. As to the cinema where I saw the final gig, it was me and my uncle and about 20 more persons in a varied 15-75 years old range, which surprised me,