• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Grayfolded. My favorite and most listened to Dark Star. No boring parts, just peak after peak.

Infared Roses - love the Crowd Sculpture track. Really reminds me of the feeling of being in a Dead parking lot, drugs starting to take effect. The rest of the album you need to be pretty high to absorb. 

Start with American Beauty and Working Man's Dead and go forward with the discography, including official live releases like Europe 72.  After that, start digging into live shows from different eras to see what you like.  I don't think Live Dead is good place to start.  It's really out there.

That's a solid call.

The worst way to get into this band is Infrared Roses.

I have that, autographed by Bob Bralove. My cousins who live in SF became friends with him. As a result, I got to meet him every time they came through Boston and Albany in the '90's, he would set me up with passes and tickets. I don't know if I ever listened to Infrared Roses all the way through.

Steal Your Face has to be the worst way to get into the Dead. As a double live album, you expect it to be amazing. But the reality is a muddy mess. I still have a hard time accepting a lot of those great songs, as it was my first introduction to them.

I remember the day it came out. We were so excited for a new live Dead album from those Winterland shows. And then the album was just so flat. What a disappointment.

I've always thought Reckoning is a good place to start, then for some real rock & roll Skullfuck.

Steal Your Face has to be the worst way to get into the Dead. As a double live album, you expect it to be amazing. But the reality is a muddy mess. I still have a hard time accepting a lot of those great songs, as it was my first introduction to them.

Ironically, one of the most iconic album covers of all time.  Every time I see the Steel Your Face symbol I get all excited :-)

Another thought on the GD50 stuff...It wasn't the best versions of songs and I prefer 1972 Jerry over 2015 Trey, but it was definitely nice to hear the infusion of new life into the songs and jams with a new identity (Trey)...

Honestly, I feel like Jeff Tweedy is due for a re-set...I will still see wilco concerts when near, but the shows have become nearly identical (even the feedback blasts), it is just getting a bit stale...

Another thought on the GD50 stuff...It wasn't the best versions of songs and I prefer 1972 Jerry over 2015 Trey, but it was definitely nice to hear the infusion of new life into the songs and jams with a new identity (Trey)...

Honestly, I feel like Jeff Tweedy is due for a re-set...I will still see wilco concerts when near, but the shows have become nearly identical (even the feedback blasts), it is just getting a bit stale...

Just imagine what Trey could do to Handshake Drugs and Spiders...

I always hate to see unadulterated criticism of Steal Your Face (e.g., "Steal Your Money"). Sure, it kind of sucks overall, but there are a few great versions of songs on there: Promised Land, Cold Rain & Snow and Mississippi Half-Step are all great, IMHO. Maybe it would be worth seeking out other copies of the boards that those shows come from, but I don't know. Always loved 'em. The rest of it is kind of "meh," but I always thought those three tunes made it a worthwhile thing to have.

I do agree with the suggestions to any newbie to the Dead's vast catalogue: American Beauty, Workingman's & Europe '72. If you don't like any of those, the Dead are probably not for you. On the other hand, if you think that material is too mainstream, maybe a big dose of Live Dead would do the trick! :lol

I always hate to see unadulterated criticism of Steal Your Face (e.g., "Steal Your Money"). Sure, it kind of sucks overall, but there are a few great versions of songs on there: Promised Land, Cold Rain & Snow and Mississippi Half-Step are all great, IMHO. Maybe it would be worth seeking out other copies of the boards that those shows come from, but I don't know. Always loved 'em. The rest of it is kind of "meh," but I always thought those three tunes made it a worthwhile thing to have.

I do agree with the suggestions to any newbie to the Dead's vast catalogue: American Beauty, Workingman's & Europe '72. If you don't like any of those, the Dead are probably not for you. On the other hand, if you think that material is too mainstream, maybe a big dose of Live Dead would do the trick! :lol

Three well played roots rockers but muddy sounding tunes does not a great psychedelic double live album make. At least not for my 15 year old self when purchasing it. I didn't know what to make of it and it soured my opinion of all the songs on it to the point that I'm still trying to decondition myself. Infrared Roses is a better album. I said it.

lol

The boards these shows come from? These are the Winterland October '74 shows. The GD movie shows. We know how great these performances were, and how great they sound on the Movie Box. How they made the album sound so bad was always a mystery to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have fond memories of SYF. In the Summer of '81 I had just graduated high school. Me and my buddy (and eventually GD Tour pal) Smokestack Jack rode around in his AMC Hornet that whole Summer, selling and smoking pot and hash oil and damn near the only cassette that we had in the car was SYF. Is is a GREAT GD record? Fuck no. But there are MOMENTS where it hits. The Berry stuff rocks and I LOVE that Phil bomb at the end of Casey.

I have fond memories of SYF. In the Summer of '81 I had just graduated high school. Me and my buddy (and eventually GD Tour pal) Smokestack Jack rode around in his AMC Hornet that whole Summer, selling and smoking pot and hash oil and damn near the only cassette that we had in the car was SYF. Is is a GREAT GD record? Fuck no. But there are MOMENTS where it hits. The Berry stuff rocks and I LOVE that Phil bomb at the end of Casey.

Set and setting. It's the moments you shared with Smokestack Jack that made you love the album. In that context you could've substituted any album and fallen in love with it. My first listens were likely in my bedroom, sober. Put it away and rarely listened to it since. With the Dead, and music in general, everyone has a few oddball albums/shows they fall in love with because they provide the soundtrack to a significant life experience. Maybe that helps you connect with the music and identify the hidden genius. I don't doubt that there is greatness in this album, but you gotta dig pretty deep.

Below is the link to the XM/Sirius feed of the Fare Thee Well shows --- includes a pre-show broadcast and the entire show. Only listened to 7/3, thus far --- nice interview with Charles Lloyd - Lambert interviewed him while he and Lloyd were at Solid Sound. The whole 7/3 pre-show was pretty good. The show itself sounds very tinny - at least on my shitting work computer - but it's in mp3, so I don't expect too much.

He interviewed Nels Cline, too - it must be on the 4th or 5th broadcast.

(see the top listings)

ftp://ftp.hostedftp.com/~Talesfromthegoldenroad/Tales-2015/

It's been a week now and I'm still buzzing over that 7/3 show.

That post drums (New Potato > Playin > Let It Grow > Help Slip Frank) was thrilling.

That post drums (New Potato > Playin > Let It Grow > Help Slip Frank) was thrilling.

I tuned in via Pay Per View for the 3 nights and what I was watching really hit me during the opening notes of Let It Grow. It's like all of those years (maybe 10) of listening to the Grateful Dead on a religious basis manifested in this sole moment. I was witnessing that same raw magic live that I had only known through CDs prior.

Night 2 was a let down for me. It seemed much more restrained than nights 1 and 3. I'm still reeling over that Jack Straw. Trey wanted to jam a little longer than Bobby wanted. Funny how he started singing right on top of his playing.

I still can't believe the ChinaRider opener. Who would have thought that could happen?! And Trey's Crazy Fingers... and Mountains of the Moon!

Do the Dead have a history of subpar night 2s?  I only got to see them 13 or 14 times, but every time I saw a night one and two of a run, the second night was always a weaker show in terms of song selection, energy level, etc. 

Do the Dead have a history of subpar night 2s?  I only got to see them 13 or 14 times, but every time I saw a night one and two of a run, the second night was always a weaker show in terms of song selection, energy level, etc. 

I think the Dead have history of bad 1st nights, 2nd Nights, 3rd Nights, etc...of runs.

I think you may on be right track though - thinking over my shows, that seems to be the pattern for me,too -- I seen the same amount shows you have. From an energy stand point - it could have been me, though -- up till late the 1st night and up early for the 2nd show, to start again. Perhaps it same for the band. By the third night - I usually got into a groove.  This was the case for this past 4th weekend.

Dave's Picks Volume 15 

Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN (4/22/78)

Disc 1 
1. Bertha> [7:27] 2. Good Lovin’ [6:48]
3. Candyman [7:26]
4. Looks Like Rain [8:16]
5. Tennessee Jed [9:33]
6. Jack Straw [6:12]
7. Peggy-O [8:16]
8. New Minglewood Blues [6:12]
9. Deal [7:24] 

Disc 2 
1. Lazy Lightning> [3:38]
2. Supplication [6:42]