Is that set list representative for the period?

For being a concert in '78, Estimated Prophet is the only "new" song on the setlist. I think the long Rhythm Devils was a newish thing for that tour. But aside from Estimated>Eyes, most of the rest of the setlist is from '72 and beyond.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dead.net/store/2000s/best-fare-thee-well-july-3-4-5-2015

Looks like there is going to be a 'Best Of' collection from Fare Thee Well along with the full shows.  Couldn't find a setlist.  This might be interesting.

I think the Dead have history of bad 1st nights, 2nd Nights, 3rd Nights, etc...of runs.

I think you may on be right track though - thinking over my shows, that seems to be the pattern for me,too -- I seen the same amount shows you have. From an energy stand point - it could have been me, though -- up till late the 1st night and up early for the 2nd show, to start again. Perhaps it same for the band. By the third night - I usually got into a groove.  This was the case for this past 4th weekend.

I was always ready to go after drums on the third night.  I always loved first night of any run…just that energy.

Possibly the oddest GD news of the day:

The acting career comes 20 years after Chaz Bono's music career, which began when he played some demo tracks he made with his partner at the time, Heidi Shink, for Bob Weir of The Grateful Dead. He told them to form a band, which they did, calling it Ceremony. Weir introduced them to Jerry Garcia, who worked with them in the studio.

"He couldn't have been sweeter," Bono recalls, although he missed the recent Grateful Dead reunion concerts in Chicago and Santa Clara. "Sitting there, watching a legend play to your music, it was amazing, completely amazing." Never mind that Bono's legendary parents, Sonny and Cher, sang backup on "Livin' It Up," off Ceremony's 1993 album, Hang Out Your Poetry, the last time Cher and Chaz worked together.

Kind of an underwhelming pick, based on setlist alone. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyone familiar with the show?

Lemeiuex had me at one of the best Wharf Rats ever. Top 5 tune for me, so worth a listen. But the setlist is kinda meh. Let's not act like Lazy Lightning is a great set 2 opener just because it's rare in that spot. 

Yeah, the setlists from this period are kind of stagnant, but late April '78 finds the band in another good groove. 

It's not what would have picked, but wtf? You'll be surprised for seconds on end! 

Been listening to Dick's Pick Vol 28: 2/26/73 - Lincoln NE, and 2/26/73 - Salt Lake City, UT, a lot lately.

Two great shows. I love them both, mainly for the first set covers and rockers, like Lincoln's: Don't Ease Me In, Loose Lucy, Big Railroad Blues, Big River, Greatest Story Ever Told, etc. Then there's the great Dark Star > Eyes. 

Salt Lake has one of the best Donna vocals that I can think of. Her harmony in Beat It On Down the Line is sublime. Again, the short first set songs are what I like this volume for: Mexicali Blues, They Love Each Other, Big River...

Two very strong shows - I had been stuck on the Lincoln show for a long time, never delving into the Salt Lake show, but they're both so great.

Was listening to Brent's last show, 7-23-90, last night. Man oh man, he is on fire! I was at those shows and do recall most of those times but "Good Time Blues" was off the hook.

(Re)watched yesterday Venetta's Sunshine Dream. It's fantastic seeing the awesome work of Bobby in China/Rider, what an underrated guitarist! And what a depressing contrast with his lame slide in Santa Clara 2015 almost ruining Black Peter right from the start. Finally, the wreck was completed with the out-of-tune ridiculous group vocal "harmonies"

Found in the interwebs that Mojo will release something called Ramble on Rose in September, with these tracks:

01. Mr. Charlie (San Diego, 7 August 1971)

02. Brown-Eyed Woman (Chicago, 24 August 1971)

03. Looks Like Rain (Lincoln, 26 February 1973)

04. He’s Gone (Paris, 4 May 1972)

05. Loser (Philadelphia, 21 September 1972)

06. Comes a Time (Frankfurt, 26 April 1972)

07. Ramble On Rose (Philadelphia, 21 Sept. 1972)

08. Chinatown Shuffle (Rotterdam, 11 May 1972)

09. Black-Throated Wind (Jersey City, 27 September 1972)

10. To Lay Me Down (American Beauty Outtake)

They say these are tracks "that would have formed the successor to American Beauty, from 9 live performances and a studio outtake". Anybody knows something about that 'successor'? Never heard of that...

Found in the interwebs that Mojo will release something called Ramble on Rose in September,
They say these are tracks "that would have formed the successor to American Beauty, from 9 live performances and a studio outtake". Anybody knows something about that 'successor'? Never heard of that...

Forget about the 'successor' to AB, all are in previous DPs, E72 or SMR. Sorry, I am näive  :worried

back.JPG

Found in the interwebs that Mojo will release something called Ramble on Rose in September, with these tracks:

01. Mr. Charlie (San Diego, 7 August 1971)
02. Brown-Eyed Woman (Chicago, 24 August 1971)
03. Looks Like Rain (Lincoln, 26 February 1973)
04. He’s Gone (Paris, 4 May 1972)
05. Loser (Philadelphia, 21 September 1972)
06. Comes a Time (Frankfurt, 26 April 1972)
07. Ramble On Rose (Philadelphia, 21 Sept. 1972)
08. Chinatown Shuffle (Rotterdam, 11 May 1972)
09. Black-Throated Wind (Jersey City, 27 September 1972)
10. To Lay Me Down (American Beauty Outtake)

Robert Hunter said that he had wanted a follow-up to American Beauty with those kind of songs on it. There was even a title for it but I forget what it was supposed to be called. This would have been a killer successor to American Beauty! I don't understand why it never happened...

How did they omit Bertha?! I'm sure that would have been the album's opener.

Imagine a double LP of these songs. Everyone else seemed to have been putting them out around this time. Nothing against Ace or Garcia, but a proper GD album would have benefited these songs much more. I sent Dave an e-mail asking about a possible working track list of this elusive album. If he shares anything of value, I will let you guys know.

Not sure what this mythical album would've been called.  I've talked about this before here.  Definitely the tunes from Europe '72 would've made an excellent album.  Mix in the 'new' tracks from Skull and Roses and it could've been a double…no doubt.  They could've used the cover art from '72 or, just call it Skull & Roses and use that iconic artwork.  Killer!  Or, how about call it Steal Your Face (since He's Gone would've been on it) and make that a proper album.  I think at this point in their career, they are all writing so much good stuff right after putting out 2 killer albums in one year that they really couldn't get into the studio together and/or the songs weren't coming together to form a proper album.  It was a deluge and while the band was evolving with every tour, they were just documenting the Live Dead period!

So that would be tunes from

Garica (Bird Song, Loser, Deal, Sugaree, Wheel, To Lay Me Down)

Reflections (Comes A Time, Might As Well, Mission(?), They Love Each Other)

Ace (Playin', Sat Nite, Greatest Story, Cassidy, LL Rain)

Europe '72 (Jack Straw, Mr. Charlie, China Town, He's Gone, Ramble, BE Women, T. Jed)

Skull Fuck (Bertha, Wharf Rat)