How about a new Wilco record?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/25/wilco-solid-sound-festival-daydream

So in this ^ little Solid Sound article it closes with mention of a new album out, possibly as early as the end of this year. There's absolutely no other info, and this is probably not the first time I've started a thread about a new Wilco record far too early (by now I at least know better than to speculate on what it might sound like) .... but it's an exciting idea. Maybe there'll be more info soon to stick on here!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kinda lame if true. I love hearing a new song live for the first time. Sure you can't sing along. But it's usually very exciting to hear something new (especially if you've heard the other songs 1,000 times)

Solid sound seems like a no brainer for this type of experimentation, as most of the folks at the fest are die hard fans.

They also don't release new albums on a annual or even semi annual basis.

Yeah, I am always psyched for a debut. I remember now, he said they were in love with 'Walken' and playing it out all over their tour. He said when they started trying to lay it down in the studio they were frustrated that they couldn't capture the same energy.

I heard the Breakfast With Wilco interview Friday morning, and Jeff said there will be a new record by the end of the year. I'm betting late fall. Especially because there was a pause in the interview where Jeff looked over to the PR people to see if he could say something. 

Yeah, not any details, but it confirms it is indeed a plan. Man, PR for a new album is a calculated thing. There is a time to officially announce, then interview, before that shush is the word.

Then again, they're still probably figuring out exactly what it's going to be so there's probably not a good way to discuss it yet.

Wilco may again shake up things with future albums. Though Stirratt won't say exactly what the band is working on, he says the band has compiled enough new music for several albums.

"We have such a big body of songs, there are a few records in there," he says. "I think we're trying to surprise ourselves. I couldn't even describe how each record will be. We're tapping a few different themes. They're all over the place at this point. I just don't know where it will go. Is that vague enough?"

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/wilco-prepares-for-a-hot-outdoor-show-on-the-fourth-of-july-weekend-7453165

Encouraging news. Jeff's solo record last year was enjoyable and I thought it was his best work since the deeper cuts on Sky Blue Sky, but I felt it should have been kept to about 10-12 tracks. To be honest I started to turn off Wilco when the self-titled record came out and The Whole Love just about killed it for me. Maybe I've had a hard time adjusting to stability in Wilco (as a fan who goes back to about 97') and aspects of the current line-up have always bothered me - for one, the space in a given song just seems to evaporate under weight of giving everyone of the six members a part to play. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit here.

What I do find encouraging is that they've had a lengthy break from recording, which I think was necessary after the one-two of The Album and TWL. In addition to this their 14/15 live shows have sounded excellent and re-energized. The potential of the (very) recent all-acoustic set at SS has me excited about the future.

An acoustic Wilco record could be a nice change of pace. Maybe without overdubs... the strength of this line up has always been the live performances, if they could somehow capture that in the studio maybe we could get a truly great Wilco record again?? Not to say any of the records have been bad, but I don't think we've had a great record since 2004.

Honestly, the time between records was a good decision, and the Tweedy record from last year was promising, as it had Jeff's best songwriting since Ghost. I think the key might be getting a producer who can push Wilco in the right directions.

I think the key might be getting a producer who can push Wilco in the right directions.

Totally. The primary issue since SBS has been one of tone and consistency, and the production has been a big issue for me on The Album and TWL. Ultimately it's a case of bringing the sextet into line with the material, which worked reasonably well on SBS in a mostly understated way, but hasn't worked so well on the following albums.

This is perhaps an unlikely suggestion, but I think Kurt Wagner (of Lambchop) would do very good things for Wilco.

Also, Buddy Miller...hell, Lee Ranaldo.

Ultimately, it's difficult to say since I have no idea what Tweedy has in mind - I'm very much hoping that it's a bit of a left turn.

I think the key might be getting a producer who can push Wilco in the right directions.

The Jay Gatsbys of the world sing the praises of Jim O'Rourke.  Being oldish myself, I wonder what people like John Cale or Daniel Lanois might do.  Looking locally, Tim Rutili would be an interesting choice, and what about Albini?

"notoriously difficult"? according to whom?

isnt albini generally very highly regarded by the bands hes worked with, both for the actual results and for the hands off way he gets them?

hes a crotchety bastard in interviews but bands seem more than happy to keep working with him so im not sure that reputation has any impact on his professional work. if wilco wanted his studio approach, theyd hire him. simple as that