How about a new Wilco record?

I thought the production on Whole Love was outstanding, and I also thought it was a real return to form. I agree that Wilco the album was lacking though. I rarely listen to it.

As far as a producer? Since Jeff has become a Grammy nominated producer in the past couple years, I really don't see them using an outside source. Tweedy was produced solely by him, and I would assume future projects will be self produced as well.

I do hope the new album is weird, and energizing, but I'll keep me expectations in check. its could easily just be a folk record.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have nothing against jeffs production, but at this stage in wilcos career, self producing doesnt really get my hopes up too high for an energized wilco album. id like to see someone in studio that can/would really push jeff. no one in wilco right now really fits that bill unfortunately

I thought the production on Whole Love was outstanding, and I also thought it was a real return to form. I agree that Wilco the album was lacking though. I rarely listen to it.

I do hope the new album is weird, and energizing, but I'll keep me expectations in check. its could easily just be a folk record.

I agree completely. The other likely known factor is it seems like engineer Tom Schick (sp?) has become staff over at the loft and has now worked with Jeff on Wilco, Low, Mavis, Pops and RT records where he has shown that he doesn't really have a "sonic stamp" other than perhaps warm, unfussy and focused sounding.

I doubt Wilco would work with Albini.  Or rather, I doubt Albini would work with Wilco.  I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like their music.

I don't know about that, but he was in the Low Key video.

I doubt Wilco would work with Albini.  Or rather, I doubt Albini would work with Wilco.  I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like their music.

Who said you need to like the music you produce.....lol.

I am also thinking that if a band wants a producer they contact them and make a deal.  I am sure Albini wants to make $$$ producing, so if he has an opening in his schedule he will work.

this is a fundamental misunderstanding of albinis job

he recorded a bush album. you think he likes them? if i remember correctly hes not that fond of nirvana either and thats arguably the album hes most known for

if wilco wanted albini and money/schedules aligned, hed record them. it really is that simple. he may be a cynical idealist but hes also a businessman.

having said that, i would be shocked if wilco wanted anyone, let alone albini, to produce. its a shame, cuz albinis work on some jason molina albums proves he can get great sounds from more than just noisy punk bands. but as has been said, he doesnt produce, and hes very hands off. basically the opposite of what i feel jeff needs

i remember when cloud nothings hired him a few years ago then complained that he just sat in the studio playing online poker while they recorded. hes not a guy who will help arrange songs on the fly, and i get the impression thats how wilco works. 

I just don't see Jeff as the kinda person that wants to be "pushed" on production at this point. He's kind of found his place, and seems happy there. We'll see, I just wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think he works completely in a vaccum either. I'm sure there are plenty of people "around" when they are recording to influence the outcome of their records.

Albini produced that last Songs: Ohia album, Magnolia Electric Co.  That was one of the best sounding albums of the last decade.  Fat drums, up front vocals and guitars.  So great!  I second O'rourke.  Not sure who else could do it.  Howe Gelb?  That'd make it weird.

just my opinion obviously

but to me it sounds like jeff needs another strong creative mind in the studio. producer, bandmember, non-musician, whatever. someone to challenge his ideas instead of merely adding to them. i think the way wilco is these days, the guys in the band are mostly happy just to be along for the ride. someone like nels or glenn could be jeff's foil, but they each have their own side outlets for some of their more left field ideas, so theres no need for them to let loose in wilco unless jeff asks them to, and even then it feels like a tease of their true talent level. i think pat's a gifted session musician but not the kind of co-bandleader type im thinking of, at least not yet. there might be a jay bennett or jim orourke in the band right now, but based on the albums this lineup has made together i havent heard it. 

of course the problem with this entire concept is wilco has always been and will always be a vehicle for jeffs songwriting. if this is where jeffs songwriting is these days, maybe not even a jay bennett or jim orourke could get more out of it than jeff by himself. i cant claim any inside knowledge of wilco recording sessions but based on what i hear on the albums, theres a certain vibe thats often too comfortable, and id be really interested in hearing jeff shake that a bit. stepping away from self producing might not be the answer but unless wilcos lineup changes all of a sudden, which seems unlikely, im not sure how else thatll happen. the tweedy album had the same "problem" (i use the word lightly because i like the album, and i like sky blue sky and the whole love as well) so my conclusion is pinning the blame largely on jeffs role as producer

im not even saying i want edgy or experimental or any other buzzwordy music from wilco, i just see a trend of music thats totally fine and enjoyable but ultimately feels like a bit of a waste of the various talents involved

just my opinion obviously

but to me it sounds like jeff needs another strong creative mind in the studio. producer, bandmember, non-musician, whatever. someone to challenge his ideas instead of merely adding to them. i think the way wilco is these days, the guys in the band are mostly happy just to be along for the ride. someone like nels or glenn could be jeff's foil, but they each have their own side outlets for some of their more left field ideas, so theres no need for them to let loose in wilco unless jeff asks them to, and even then it feels like a tease of their true talent level. i think pat's a gifted session musician but not the kind of co-bandleader type im thinking of, at least not yet. there might be a jay bennett or jim orourke in the band right now, but based on the albums this lineup has made together i havent heard it. 

of course the problem with this entire concept is wilco has always been and will always be a vehicle for jeffs songwriting. if this is where jeffs songwriting is these days, maybe not even a jay bennett or jim orourke could get more out of it than jeff by himself. i cant claim any inside knowledge of wilco recording sessions but based on what i hear on the albums, theres a certain vibe thats often too comfortable, and id be really interested in hearing jeff shake that a bit. stepping away from self producing might not be the answer but unless wilcos lineup changes all of a sudden, which seems unlikely, im not sure how else thatll happen. the tweedy album had the same "problem" (i use the word lightly because i like the album, and i like sky blue sky and the whole love as well) so my conclusion is pinning the blame largely on jeffs role as producer

im not even saying i want edgy or experimental or any other buzzwordy music from wilco, i just see a trend of music thats totally fine and enjoyable but ultimately feels like a bit of a waste of the various talents involved

Exactly.

Wow y'all are really thinking about this.

I guess I'm not as deep, but I felt like TWL was quite a bit different from W(TA). Both sonically and lyrically.

And didn't Pat produce several tunes on that record too? Maybe he arranged strings or something?

I'll be happy with whatever they put out, honestly.

"Art Of Almost" was a pretty strong departure from the template. 

it was, but ultimately it was just the kind of frustrating tease im talking about. hearing that this band can still deliver something like that was exciting, and then the albums ettled into that same comfortable midtempo groove for the rest of the way. 

which, again, not a bad thing. ill certainly take it, but a song like AOA left me feeling like thats not what jeff wants to do and he was just throwing a segment of his fanbase a bone, which killed the buzz a bit. (and i realize thats my problem, not jeffs)

basically wilcos in the career stage where theyve given me so much great music over the years i cant honestly expect more, so i really dont. ill keep happily buying and enjoying comfortable late career wilco albums, but im also gonna keep hoping something shakes that routine up a bit because i think the band as players and jeff as a songwriter are still capable of much more than theyve delivered in recent years

And didn't Pat produce several tunes on that record too? Maybe he arranged strings or something?

hes had a few co-writes and productionc redits since he joined, which briefly gave me hope hed step up as a stronger creative force

and again, maybe he has, just in a more subtle way. i can only speak to how i hear the results and it doesnt feel like tweedy has a foil these days

Wilco's members probably contribute way more to a record than we all imagine, but because Tweedy writes the lyrics and has final say, maybe recent Wilco records aren't as great of records as when Tweedy worked with other talented and strong-willed songwriters (Farrar, Bennett, O'Rourke).

Simply as a greedy, selfish music fan who wants to hear cool things, I've long wondered what a Tweedy/Jack White record would sound like. Or if Wilco and Radiohead got together. Or maybe a new band like Alvvays, who has a female lead.

As for a new Wilco record...I'd for sure be okay with that!

I really like the last one. I didn't think anything was missing from their process, if anything I think it was a sign that they'd discovered how to use the powers of the sextet. I think there are all kinds of wonders ahead.

But, fair game. I asked the question "how bout it?" and with our knowledge all anyone can say is, "nah", "with reservations", or like me "hell yeah". The only other thing worth mentioning is Jeff has said in an interview that they're ready to make a "restless" record. I think that could please a lot of people on here.

I really like the last one. I didn't think anything was missing from their process, if anything I think it was a sign that they'd discovered how to use the powers of the sextet. I think there are all kinds of wonders ahead.

But, fair game. I asked the question "how bout it?" and with our knowledge all anyone can say is, "nah", "with reservations", or like me "hell yeah". The only other thing worth mentioning is Jeff has said in an interview that they're ready to make a "restless" record. I think that could please a lot of people on here.

yeah, I really saw Whole Love as a new beginning for the band, kind of a fresh start after two sleepy albums. The band sounds very tight on this record, and for once, that "live" sound really comes through. The record sounds very similar to their live show. I can't really say that about any of their other records.  

Wow. I had no idea TWL is such a divisive record. Quite frankly, I think it's one of the stronger, more confident collections in the band's career. It covers a huge musical map, but doesn't feel clunky or lacking. It's a statement about what/who the band is in that one moment, but creates an identity without falling into complacency halfway through. 

And maybe this is me, but I've never understood folks dogging SBS. Again, I think it's one of Jeff's most honest, warm, and all-around most sophisticated recordings. 

It's strange to me how folks sometimes mistake Wilco's biggest attribute for a flaw: you're never going to get two records that sound the same. You're going to get a more mellow, introspective record. You're going to get something more experimental and raucous. You're going to get something different every time.

Now, phew, all that being said, I'm super-geeked for a new record and really hope it drops before the end of the year.