How about a new Wilco record?

I think Nels and Wilco should part ways.  Aside from a couple solo spots here and there, I think Jeff has allowed Nels almost nothing in terms of having an impact on the band's sound.  I'm glad Nels has a higher profile, more money, and dozens more guitars now than he ever likely would have without Wilco, but it's become a creative dead end. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I think Nels adds a lot to the older material. It's part of the reason why their live shows have gotten so good. Not that they were ever "bad" per say, but Nels adds an extra layer or two to some of the classics. I'd say especially stuff off Summer Teeth.

Wow, a lot of harsh words for Nels.  Eventually he will leave the band (or not) because he is certainly the senior citizen of the group, but damn he does just fine most of the time.  Clearly he is what Jeff wants as second guitar. 

LouieB

For the record, I have been a Nels fan since before WIlco existed.  I like Nels and Wilco, but I think at this point they both would make a fairly large leap in creative growth (not that they necessarily need to) if they parted.  I definitely don't see that happening if things stay the same.  

I'm no moderator but I'm pretty sure that violates one or more forum rules.

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone on here can recognize the comment as harmless. I can see that it gets into the "don't tell me not to express my opinion!" territory, but it's not directed at anyone in particular.

For the record, I have been a Nels fan since before WIlco existed. I like Nels and Wilco, but I think at this point they both would make a fairly large leap in creative growth (not that they necessarily need to) if they parted. I definitely don't see that happening if things stay the same.

I totally get this...and agree.

I totally get this...and agree.

I'm wracking my brain here for an equivilent group who have:

A Undergone frequent line-up changes

B Eventually settled on a stable line-up for a considerable period

Again The Byrds come to mind, but this Wilco line-up has now broken the decade mark.

Where the argument surrounding whether the group would be/wouldn't be better off with/without certain members, for me it's always been a case of three seperate Wilco entities:

1994-2001 - Relationship Status: It's Complicated

2001-2003 - Relationship Status: Divorced, It's Very Complicated and AWOL.

2004-2015 - Married.

From my perspective, Wilco made better records when the crockery was being thrown around the house and dad was away for nights on end.

It would be cool to hear what Nels could add if you took the jaguar/jazzmaster out of his hands. My biggest complaint (and I think Nels has been a wonderful addition to the band), is how frequently the material written for albums he was with the band on has sounded similar in tone. 

To be more precise, it is really only a problem on W(tA) following SBS as the TWL was a different creative step for this line-up. I'm afraid that we'll another same-y album like W(tA) that takes away from how special the album before it was (in that case SBS).

While the Jazzmaster is his go-to guitar, Nels has frequently played guitars other than his Jazzmasters/Jaguars with Wilco.  He's played a Nash Tele, a Danelectro/Jerry Jones doubleneck with a baritone and a 12 string, a lap steel, a Gibson Les Paul Jr., a Hopf, even Duane Allman's Les Paul.

I think it is time for Jeff to re-create a new band. The live shows seem very very similar song wise show to show. There used to be variation but it all now seems so rehearsed that the improvisation seems gone to me. I love his music and the wilco music. And I love this current line up, but if the live performances are indicative of creativity, I'd say the creativity has been spent or needs to be rekindled.

My wife (who was a tweedy / wilco fan long before me) thinks the last several performances (20th anniversary chicago shows, multiple madison, milwaukee shows) sound like a Wilco cover band...

I think it is time for Jeff to re-create a new band. The live shows seem very very similar song wise show to show. There used to be variation but it all now seems so rehearsed that the improvisation seems gone to me. I love his music and the wilco music. And I love this current line up, but if the live performances are indicative of creativity, I'd say the creativity has been spent or needs to be rekindled.

My wife (who was a tweedy / wilco fan long before me) thinks the last several performances (20th anniversary chicago shows, multiple madison, milwaukee shows) sound like a Wilco cover band...

He did create a new band: TWEEDY.

Good point. I don't know that Jeff could do more different things than he is doing since he is also now a producer.  I suppose I would still like to see a true solo album, maybe with collaborations with lots of different people.  I don't think there is any way for a performer not to become themselves over time.  They aren't likely to totally scrap their repertoire and completely start all over.

LouieB

It seems that Son Volt has run its course, too --- guess it's time for a reunion...I am sure Heidron can still play.

A Fall theater tour (billed the "From the Ashes" tour.) will get both Tweedy and Farrar back in shape and rekindle the Wilco and Son Volt's flames for 2016 - Somebody needs to send Margherita a letter.