Box Full Of Letters

Impossible Germany

A Magazine Called Sunset

Via Chicago

955 Encore

Let's Not Get Carried Away

Dark Neon

The Late Greats

Kingpin (new jam section that reminded me of Walken)

Monday

Outta Site (Outta Mind)

Rain was fair to middling, but absolutely tolerable and better than this forecaster expected. Jeff commented late in the set "Compared to the second time we were here, this is child's  play" (not a direct quote). Although the crowd was strong, I think the forecast washed out (see what I did there) some early attendees. Good for us.

Oh, and they definitely "brought the rock", and then some. Nels was scorched earth on Ashes and Germany. Jeff's voice was fantastic, the mood appeared joyful on the stage, and when Glenn stands on his drumstool to start the night off (only allowed at SS!), you know the band is loaded for bear.

We were just right of the soundboard, and the sound was monstrous and pristine throughout. Kudos to the sound techs.

Fan- freaking-tastic!

Rain was fair to middling, but absolutely tolerable and better than this forecaster expected. Jeff commented late in the set "Compared to the second time we were here, this is child's play" (not a direct quote). Although the crowd was strong, I think the forecast washed out (see what I did there) some early attendees. Good for us.

Oh, and they definitely "brought the rock", and then some. Nels was scorched earth on Ashes and Germany. Jeff's voice was fantastic, the mood appeared joyful on the stage, and when Glenn stands on his drumstool to start the night off (only allowed at SS!), you know the band is loaded for bear.

We were just right of the soundboard, and the sound was monstrous and pristine throughout. Kudos to the sound techs.

Fan- freaking-tastic!

Right on. That rain was nothing. Especially compared to what was forecasted this was nothing more than a mist.

I loved the groovy new arrangement on Kingpen. And a few new flourishes on Impossible Germany. Pat was particularly on fire tonight I thought.

The entire set was tremendous. The beach ball prank was glorious and set the mood for the evening. Art of almost was a great song for the prank cuz it gave Jeff time to take it all in and even punch a beach ball. He was smiling as much as us! What a set. The forecaster must have been future casting the set list. Jeff was screaming parts of carried away. Wooohoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... The "At Least That What You Said" bubble! I'm not sure how many of you saw this happen, but during the slow beginning of the song there was this perfect bubble that floated over my head center stage about 10 yards from the stage and ended up just in front of Jeff's face before lifting up and disappearing into the stage awning. There was some discussion after the gig about this among us, and it's my feeling it was some type of special effect from lighting. Others feel it was a actual bubble blown by some one in the audience. Jeff made no mention of this and the way it floated off and up leads me to think it was a lighting prop. It was just to perfect for the song and how it floated for it not to have been a effect. And with the rain you would think it would be hard to have a bubble travel like that one did . If it was a actual soap bubble i would think Jeff would have reacted somewhat to it. Did anyone else see this and have any thoughts?

Any way if it was real it would just add to the magic that happens every year at Solid Sound. This is one special event. 

Thanks to Donna for organizing the beach ball tribute to the band. It worked flawlessly.

My favorite part of every Solid Sound has to be the smile that stretches from ear to ear on our beloved Jeff Tweedy. It makes me happy to see him happy!

One other thing...lying here in bed and digesting the recording i captured... Nils Cline is a fucken guitar god! His play last night was out of this world! I have seen a lot of great guitar players in my live music obsession through out my life and he has to be the best. Sorry SRV you had a great run for me, but it's time to step aside in my guitar god book!

That was one rockin show. In a perfect world where I'm in charge of making a dream setlist, Saturday night was as good as it gets. Everyone in the band was in TOP form, and I can't remember the last time I saw a drum solo! Maybe Rush in 1982. Best Wilco show I've seen in a long time, if not ever. Let's see how long the afterglow lasts. Good crowd too. No one too territorial or pushy, all had a good time. Bottom line is that Wilco was en fuego Saturday night.  They.....nailed....it. A wink and a nod to Mass MoCA, and to North Adams. Awesome hosts.

I will also comment about the sound. At each SS I am simply amazed how crystal clear the sound is. In the open air, subject to wind and all the elements. For every Joe's Field set I've been in the sweet spot about 20 feet in front of the board. Always perfect sound.

The SOUND my gosh the SOUND!!!! It was so freaking crystal freaking  :guitar  perfect!  Saturday simply floored me.  The set!  The Weather!  The Crowd!  The Beach Balls!! The intensity from every band member!  The joy from every band member!  Let's Not Get Carried Away! carried me far away man :banana  

Great show. I'd take that rain over terrible heat any day. God, I love "Dark Neon."

So... The "At Least That What You Said" bubble! I'm not sure how many of you saw this happen, but during the slow beginning of the song there was this perfect bubble that floated over my head center stage about 10 yards from the stage and ended up just in front of Jeff's face before lifting up and disappearing into the stage awning.

Definitely was a real bubble.

Saturday was possibly the best Wilco show I have ever seen, better than 6/29/07 in Shelburne, VT, and maybe, just maybe, eclipsing 2/15/97 at Irving Plaza. I will say that Saturday night's show contained some of the best versions of songs I have heard from the band - Either Way, Pot Kettle Black, Born Alone, Laminated Cat, and maybe Kingpin were better than I've ever heard. And the set list choices were right on. I love a Being There-heavy closing. I also got 5 (5!) songs I'd never seen live before. An epic set.

Saturday was possibly the best Wilco show I have ever seen, better than 6/29/07 in Shelburne, VT, and maybe, just maybe, eclipsing 2/15/97 at Irving Plaza. I will say that Saturday night's show contained some of the best versions of songs I have heard from the band - Either Way, Pot Kettle Black, Born Alone, Laminated Cat, and maybe Kingpin were better than I've ever heard. And the set list choices were right on. I love a Being There-heavy closing. I also got 5 (5!) songs I'd never seen live before. An epic set.

face and heart melted Saturday night!

there were 4 or 5 more songs on the set list as a 2nd encore that went unplayed....

still, fantastic evening once again. thank you, Wilco!

That's amazing - I presume the rain brought it down.  The set list as played was still the best I've ever seen (from my perspective, of course).

The sound was simply incredible.

This was my 26th Wilco show and I believe it was the best I've ever seen.  The Shelburne show from Popquiz's mention was damn fine and Montreal 2011 was top notch - but I think this topped both of them, and not by a little.

Great show. I'd take that rain over terrible heat any day. God, I love "Dark Neon."

Definitely was a real bubble.

Yea i asked Stan, the sound board guy, about it the next day if they had a special effect bubble and he said no.  :D But everything about it was perfect, i should not doubt the magic of Solid Sound. From the part of the song that it was blown, to the tempo of it floating through the air ending up what seemed inches away from Jeff's face at mic level, to slowly lift and then shoot upwards as the guitar riff came in. It was pointed out to me that with the lights into his face, Jeff may not have been aware of it,  and why he made no mention of it afterwards. And the reason it lifted so quickly was the stage ventilation.  Anyway I should never doubt the magic that happens at Solid Sound, and that hallowed ground that is Joes Field. The train flying by just at the end of a tune on Friday was another example of magic. For those that don't beleive in magic, i would guess you have never attended a Solid Sound. Magic happens there. :love

That show was incredible.

My husband got the set list the next day from a security guard that pulled it out of the garbage, and that second encore, had it happened, would have been the most awesome thing, but alas. I can't remember all the 6-7 songs that were on it- I remember seeing Thirteen, but didn't look too close because as soon as we got it we gave it to this guy that hung out up front with us. He was from Brazil, and it was his first real Wilco show (well, Friday I guess was his first technically, but Sat was the "rock" show). He needed that list more than we did.

Anyway, it was amazing.

11403476_10205914731241957_2460437640918

Wish I didn't know about that second encore.... damn. Still, one of the best Wilco shows I've been to. 

This SSF was a different experience for me. I usually attend w/ my father, who wasn't able to make it this year. I was not feeling my usual excitement leading up to the festival, but once the band took the stage on Friday night I really got lost in the experience. The acoustic night was a blast, but it had been nearly 2 years since my last proper Wilco show, so I was really itching for the electric stuff. Saturday did not disappoint!