Wilco - Solid Sound Night 2 Sat June 27, 2015

Wish I didn't know about that second encore.... damn. Still, one of the best Wilco shows I've been to. 

This SSF was a different experience for me. I usually attend w/ my father, who wasn't able to make it this year. I was not feeling my usual excitement leading up to the festival, but once the band took the stage on Friday night I really got lost in the experience. The acoustic night was a blast, but it had been nearly 2 years since my last proper Wilco show, so I was really itching for the electric stuff. Saturday did not disappoint! 

Oh man! I wonder if the weather knocked out that second encore? What a great foursome that would have been on top of an already amazing show!!! On well, it was still pretty incredible, as always!

Definitely weather affected the 2nd encore. It looked like at the end the wind was blowing some rain onto the stage. I was a bit nervous about the instruments.

Anyway, that would have been an amazing 2nd encore set, especially with Spiders as you KNOW they would have jammed hard to that. I mean, Nels alone had like 3-4 solos on Sat night that he doesn't do during normal shows, so I imagine he would do one during Spiders too (though Jeff tends to play lead on that one, I bet both would have done some shredding)

Did anyone else think that the applause seemed a bit weak? I don't think that is why they didn't play the 2nd encore but I do kind of wonder about it. It seemed like the audience was feeling "entitled" even after the main set and didn't applaud as long and loud as they should have, and then after the first encore it seems that people just expected there wouldn't be a second encore. At least that's how it seemed to me. I remember at one of the Winterlude shows Jeff somewhat scolded the audience for not giving it up like they should have, and he talked about adhering to the conventions of a rock show, like of course they're going to come out for an encore but we need to do our part and let them know that we really want it. I just felt that the audience wasn't reacting as enthusiastically as the show merited.

It may have had to do with where I was standing or I may be overly sensitive to the issue because it's a pet peeve of mine.

Completely agree - Saturday night was a less than enthusiastic crowd response given the band's performance, especially during the wait for the encore. In fact, it went quiet for a short time. I wonder if that is becoming more common as audiences figure they are getting an encore no matter what, so why go nuts.

Maybe it had to do with how cold/rainy it was, also? I for one was feeling pretty miserable by the time the show was over. I mean I still screamed and howled when they left the stage.... I felt like we were all enthusiastic down front, but whatever. The encore didn't happen cos of weather 100%.

The techs started breaking down the equipment almost immediately after the band left the stage. That makes me think the decision to scrap the second encore had already been made before they exited the stage after the first encore.

Even if it was a predetermined decision--and it might have been--I think we all agree it was a stellar show. After a show like that, why shouldn't the crowd show the love? Clap, whoop, stomp--long, loud, sustained. They earned it. 

I do think this kind of entitled response is becoming more the norm than it used to be. I remember walking out of shows with my hands aching from clapping so hard and long.

The techs started breaking down the equipment almost immediately after the band left the stage. That makes me think the decision to scrap the second encore had already been made before they exited the stage after the first encore.

Absolutely.

have we gotten so bored we gotta complain about how long people clap? I feel like those of us that were down front showed appreciation accordingly. I don't think there's any entitlement if a person doesn't clap. If you want to clap til you bleed, ok, but chastising others for not clapping just seems silly.

I spent a weekend in a beautiful place surrounded by friends listening to great music and enjoying beautiful and thought-provoking works of art. As far as I'm concerned, everything else is irrelevant. I don't care who clapped, smoked, drank, farted, why we didn't get a second encore, how long the food lines were, etc. I'm just grateful I got to experience it and look forward to 2017.

Just for the record, my comment about audience applause was intended as a general musing, not a complaint.Just wondering about others' thoughts abut this specific issue. Completely agree that it was a glorious weekend. I'm always astounded by how much thoughtfulness and love go into the planning for Solid Sound by the band--and I guess its management. This is a fantastic event.

Everyone likes a good encore, but I do think they should be very rare. Bands should just play an awesome finale and be done with the show.

It's not like they even take a long enough break to take a piss.

It should be an unplanned gift. One perfect example is the end of The Felice Brothers set. The crowd was cheering really loudly, they came back out. "They'll let us play one more song."

Has anyone seen Super Furry Animals (or Gruff Rhys) live? The last songs are always amazing and then near the end he holds up a sign that says "No Phony Encores." It's hilarious and true. And then it ends.

I spent a weekend in a beautiful place surrounded by friends listening to great music and enjoying beautiful and thought-provoking works of art. As far as I'm concerned, everything else is irrelevant. I don't care who clapped, smoked, drank, farted, why we didn't get a second encore, how long the food lines were, etc. I'm just grateful I got to experience it and look forward to 2017.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

I have been listening to the night's performance for the last couple of days. First off, thank you analogman for the surprisingly great recording. I had been requesting "Let's not get carried away" for a long time. They absolutely killed it at this show. Couldn't ask for a better rendition! Jeff in full scream, Glenn in his usual pocket. Thank you Wilco for a perfect weekend and a perfect festival. Can't wait till 2017!!!!

Now available as Roadcase #48... and in a discount bundled price with Solid Sound Night #1 (All Acoustic) Roadcase #47...

Did anybody else notice that Nels' guitar was out of tune on Kingpin? During the pre-solo downward vamp, it was really noticeable. It took me out of the song until he fixed it before the new breakdown.  

Did anybody else notice that Nels' guitar was out of tune on Kingpin? During the pre-solo downward vamp, it was really noticeable. It took me out of the song until he fixed it before the new breakdown.  

either way... faces were melted brother