• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a couple of days away from "Star Wars" and find it just as good (maybe even better) than I did upon first reaction. And my first reaction was that I liked it a lot.

Early favorite song: Pickled Ginger.  

Because it sounds like someone just bought a cool new effects pedal and is just grooving with it.

I also wanted to make a Led Zeppelin 'In the Evening' comparison, but I think I will pass.

"Random Name Generator" and "You Satelite" are killing me at the moment.

Favourite Wilco tracks since "Spiders" and "Theologians"

Favourite Tweedy tracks since "Wreckroom" (Born Again In The USA)

I've been listening to "Magnetized" on repeat. This happens to me with probably a few songs a year, but man Magnetized is such a beautiful song. I love Mikael's synth sound in the opening minute of the song (one of my biggest complaints from the pitchfork set was that it wasn't loud enough). And the fuzzy "Brian May" sounding octave part is absolutely incredible. This song and I are, in fact, Magnetized.

It's definitely my favorite on the record.

I really think Cold Slope is the highlight, which is then bolstered by its twin, King of You, in a nice mini-suite. Those along with More..., Random Name Generator, You Satellite, and Pickled Ginger represent a direction I wish the band had gone in 10 years ago.

Taste the Ceiling is the only song right now that I'm having trouble fully embracing.

The length of this album is perfect. There isn't an indulgent note on here and it embraces multiple listens.

Does anyone know why the vinyl is shipping three months after the CD is released?

Taste the Ceiling is the only song right now that I'm having trouble fully embracing.

That one is a grower, it's definitely my favorite so far!

Does anyone know why the vinyl is shipping three months after the CD is released?

Taste The Ceiling has stealth like qualities, a real slow burner. I've probably played Star Wars 20 plus times now and the last couple of times this song has really hit home. 

Hope I'm not being too hyperbolic already, but this new LP is shaping up to be top 3 Wilco for me. There is not a wasted note or moment on it, the length is bang on, the playing magnificent and it sounds great even in mp3 form. Can only imagine how great it will sound on vinyl or CD.

I think someone said it's on Record Store Day...

I think that often happens with "sudden" releases.  d'angelo vinyl shipped about three months after cd release when he decided to move his release date up last year.  

I have not had enough time to listen very much yet, but i find a different interest point each time I listen which is very encouraging.  

The "waiting list" to get a vinyl record made is a long one. There are not many vinyl plants in the U.S. And the sudden surge in vinyl purchases in the last 5-6 years has made it really difficult. companies can spend extra to get their record "pushed up" , but for a small label like this. It may not make financial sense. Throw in the marketing ploy of releasing the record on "Black Friday" and you have a pretty good release strategy.

Wilco knows that the fans that want vinyl will be willing to wait for it. Especially when the album is available to download for free.

Curious what the rest of the album art will look like.

The biggest downside is not having it available at shows. Vinyl often sells out before t shirts do now a days

So in the span of a week, I've gotten

A Brand New Album - for free

A Live Webcast of the band in 1080p - for free (thanks to this board)

A New Roadcase of the St Augustine show (which I attended on my wedding anniversary). - for free.

Gotta say, I'm really feeling the love. Feels good man.

Gotta say, I'm really feeling the love. Feels good man.

Indeed.  After all these years, it still feels good.  I'm happy to be able to love a band this much.

Digging Cold Slope>King of You. Hell, pretty much digging the whole thing.

My sentiments exactly. I think those two songs are my favorite stretch on the whole record. These songs (and all the rest) are just going to KILL live. I really hope, as others have said, that they play the whole thing through at shows, instead of mixing the songs in with the rest of the setlist.

Having had a few days and numerous listens, I'm still in love with this album.  My biggest compliment, if it's a compliment, is that this feels like an album.  Like a connected series of songs where order is important.  Where you don't understand the individual songs without benefit of the whole album.  There are a couple songs that I don't love, in isolation - The Joke Explained, Taste the Ceiling - but they fit the album.

This, in my mind, is the most coherent set of songs since AGIB.  

More importantly, it's just damn good music with an edge.  I can't wait to hear this live.  The past couple albums have several great songs, but this delivers great songs and an edge I've only heard on AOA and I Might in recent albums.

And if they decided to go Phish and stretch You Satellite into a 20 minute noisy jam I wouldn't complain one bit.  Ditto, More.

And if they decided to go Phish and stretch You Satellite into a 20 minute noisy jam I wouldn't complain one bit.  Ditto, More.

:thumbup

Absolutely. I was also thinking of the Dead's 'Dark Star' when considering how 'You Satelite' might inevitably stretch out in a live setting.

That's probably my favourite track off the album and I think it's as close as the band has ever come to sounding like Sonic Youth. :rock

“Taste The Ceiling” features Scott McCaughey on Mellotron and Piano

Additional percussion by Spencer Tweedy

All songs written by Jeff Tweedy except “Taste The Ceiling” by Jeff Tweedy and Scott McCaughey, “You Satellite” by Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline and “Magnetized” by Jeff Tweedy and Mikael Jorgensen.

Love learning this stuff. Autumn Defense shut out on SW.

All songs written by Jeff Tweedy except “Taste The Ceiling” by Jeff Tweedy and Scott McCaughey, “You Satellite” by Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline and “Magnetized” by Jeff Tweedy and Mikael Jorgensen.

Ha! I swear I thought Spencer might have been drumming on Taste the Ceiling when I was listening to it yesterday. It just sounded like his style somehow.

All songs written by Jeff Tweedy except “Taste The Ceiling” by Jeff Tweedy and Scott McCaughey, “You Satellite” by Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline and “Magnetized” by Jeff Tweedy and Mikael Jorgensen.

Do you mean that John and Pat are not on the record at all or that they share no songwriting/producer credits?