Just watched the final episode of the penultimate season of Parks and Recreation to re-watch the Land Ho performance at the Unity concert. As far as I know, the only pre-release glimpse we had of the new album was the performance of Pickled Ginger 15 months ago. Too bad they didn't work in a Star Wars reference and a cat.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco's "Star Wars" LIVE!!! Right after Wilco released their new album, "Star Wars", for free, they headlined the Pitchfork Music Festival in their hometown of Chicago & opened the show by playing the whole new album, start to finish. Someone uploaded their Pitchfork Fest (July 17th) performance of the complete new album...Enjoy!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8F1F1mVpg

And for anyone that hasn't gotten this already, here is the download of the full Pitchfork performance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wby5udgdbe7n923/Wilco%20-%202015-07-17%20Pitchfork%20Music%20Festival%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv?dl=0

The Loft's recently upgraded mixing board has been referred to as the best gear available in the Industry. Star Wars is Wilco's first release since then. Absolutely better with every listen. Can anybody give insights on the Loft's improvements?

The Loft's recently upgraded mixing board has been referred to as the best gear available in the Industry. Star Wars is Wilco's first release since then. Absolutely better with every listen. Can anybody give insights on the Loft's improvements?

It's a Neve and they may have gotten it just before The Whole Love. The recording side of their gear collection has come a long way since SBS.

Edit: actually, I'm wrong there.  They got it after TWL.  They did have a Neve sidecar that got a lot of use on that record, but it was smaller, so it didn't cover everything on the way in, and they weren't able to mix all the way across the board the way they can now.

The Loft has its own page on FB.  You may be able to find more info there.  Or at least pose the question and see if you get a reply post.

The Loft has its own page on FB.  You may be able to find more info there.  Or at least pose the question and see if you get a reply post.

For all interested... The Loft page on Facebook (great folks who curate there!!)

https://www.facebook.com/TheLoftRecordingStudio

Was watching revenge of the sith with my kid last night, heard this and thought of ..."more"-' it's a stretch but the idea of the pain we can inflict on ourselves and others by the wanting of "more than there is..than exists" (power/security...whatever it may be) struck me. The "more" anakin wants is to have enough control to protect himself from loss...from pain. Impossible.

Anakin Skywalker: Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more. And I know I shouldn't.

Just chipping in wuth a vote for Taste The Ceiling.

Don't see it getting many positive mentions (not necessarily negative mentions, just an absence) and I find that melody being a constant in my head and I'm glad it's there as a gentle oasis of calm amongst the rowdiness of its neighbours.

Taste the Ceiling occupies a similar space to You and I, but I think it's better. I like Feist too, just a better tune for the easy going 70s pop number. Part of it is the rhythm on the bridge (on the "I know why" part) with the little gap before a very tasteful guitar solo. It's good.

I'm a die hard Wilco fan and sometimes guest on an indie music podcast called Chunky Glasses. Last week, I fulfilled a dream of talking about Wilco on mic with a group of other music fans. So here is the link to a discussion of Star Wars:

http://www.chunkyglasses.com/content/episode-126-wilco-star-wars-tame-impala-currents

iTunes link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/chunkyglasses-the-podcast/id507265965?mt=2#episodeGuid=4f705ee1e4b0aad9750e2e27%3A52f6867de4b05acac210ba0a%3A55b55cd9e4b04064779502bf

I love the record SO MUCH. I'm developing an unhealthy attachment to it. It's practically all I think about. Pity the poor people around me who have no interest in talking about how brilliant Star Wars is! It's really difficult not to overdo it by listening multiple times a day. Don't want to ruin it for myself, which I've done before! So envious of those going to shows in the next few weeks/months that will likely get to hear it played in its entirety. Damn.

I love the record SO MUCH. I'm developing an unhealthy attachment to it. It's practically all I think about. Pity the poor people around me who have no interest in talking about how brilliant Star Wars is! It's really difficult not to overdo it by listening multiple times a day. Don't want to ruin it for myself, which I've done before! So envious of those going to shows in the next few weeks/months that will likely get to hear it played in its entirety. Damn.

I'm with you.  This album is ridiculously good in my opinion.  I have listened to it over and over and over and I discover new tidbits each time.  I think it's among their best work.  Challenging and fun at the same time, and compact.  I've loved some of the songs on recent albums, but I love this album as a whole.

Random Name Generatore and You Satellite have quickly found a spot in my Favorite Wilco Songs drawer.

Just chipping in wuth a vote for Taste The Ceiling.

Don't see it getting many positive mentions (not necessarily negative mentions, just an absence) and I find that melody being a constant in my head and I'm glad it's there as a gentle oasis of calm amongst the rowdiness of its neighbours.

I love this song as well, I feel it sounds like something on WTA. Maybe I'm on crack  :blink

I'm still crazy about this album.  The recent live versions really sound great.  Nice to have some new songs live to add to the 20 year tour stuff.

Cold Slope has some Pops Staples style guitar influence which I was hoping for.

Cold Slope / King of You is a great little 1-2 pair at the back end of the record.

You Satellite is still my favorite both musically and lyrically.

Taste the Ceiling would have been better off on Sukierae.

I agree, I've been obsessively thinking about the album and it grows with every listen. It's what led me back to VC after years of being away, I was looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.

I found it very interesting (perhaps because it's related to my work :P) >>

How Wilco Used MailChimp Automation to Release Their New Album

http://blog.mailchimp.com/how-wilco-used-mailchimp-automation-to-release-its-new-album/

this is cool, i hadn't seen it. it's related to my work as well, and it's a lot more interesting than the business example that usually get cited :D

I agree, I've been obsessively thinking about the album and it grows with every listen. It's what led me back to VC after years of being away, I was looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.

It's nice to see you again!  :wave And yeah, what an album they've sprung on us lucky fans! I get to see them the day after tomorrow, and I'm psyched!

The big news, of late, is that, at the first gig since the Pitchfork Fest, last night at The Gathering Of The Vibes Fest, they once again opened by playing "Star Wars" in it's entirety. Courtesty of the grand & glorious NYC Taper, for your dancing & dining pleasure, the complete 8/1/15 Gathering Of The Vibes Show!!!

http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/08/wilco-august-1-2015-gathering-of-the-vibes-bridgeport-ct-flacmp3streaming/
From NYC Taper:

"Wilco has wowed this summer in a few ways — first with their exceptional Solid Sound acoustic performance (which we captured here), then with the surprise free release of Star Wars, easily their finest album in ten years. Here at Gathering of the Vibes on the Bridgeport seaside, the band built on the momentum they created with their full-album performance of Star Wars back at Pitchfork Music Festival with another full-album run through, followed by some of the band’s best-known songs as well as the rarity “Laminated Cat.” As a special treat, Warren Haynes, he of every single guest appearance at northeastern jam festivals, joined for “California Stars” to close things out. But lest you think this was a standard-issue performance, Jeff Tweedy and co., buoyed by the presence of Nels Cline, turned even the older tunes into noisier, edgier renditions than we’ve seen recently, perhaps alienating some of this festival’s core audience, but proving that Wilco is returning to what made Yankee Hotel Foxtrot their true landmark album, and what marks them as so much bigger than being the “dad rock” of their detractors. Star Wars has proven that this band has many more good years ahead, and we’ll be thrilled to be a part of them.

I recorded this set with Schoeps MK4V microphones in the taper’s section. While distance and being outdoors always impact sound quality, overall this is an excellent effort. Enjoy!"

And just in case...
For anyone that hasn't gotten this already, here is the video download of the full Pitchfork performance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wby5udgdbe7n923/Wilco%20-%202015-07-17%20Pitchfork%20Music%20Festival%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv?dl=0

And the complete audio of Pitchfork: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kubfj9ucbri6gqy/AACUkz5GiRPvjNz4EG2A8xg9a?dl=0

And finally, here's the complete performance of the new album from the Pitchfork Fest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8F1F1mVpg

It's nice to see you again!  :wave And yeah, what an album they've sprung on us lucky fans! I get to see them the day after tomorrow, and I'm psyched!

Hey man, thanks :) Good to see you're still kicking it. I was hoping to see 'em this summer (they'll be a few hours from here this weekend), but I just couldn't swing it.

"little"? I think it's the best track pairing on a Wilco album.  :thumbup

Better than Red Eyed & Blue into I Got You (At the End of the Century)? I agree it is great, but not ready to make that leap...