Having listened to this album many, many times now, I still cannot tell where Cold Slope ends and King of You begins. It sounds like one continuous song to me. I don't hear any musical difference between the two at all that signals me we've moved on to a different song.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get The Joke Explained or Random Name Generator out of my head. They've been there solid for a good 2 weeks now and I know I've had a couple dreams where I was singing them, too. Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining!  :music

I've decided to just give in and change my VC name from Folkgirl to Eternal Instigator. Get it? Ince-tigator? (For those who don't know me, my last name is Ince and I like to rile things up a bit  :comeonDave the Husband thinks it's quite possibly the most fitting name I could ever have LOL! I only wish I would have had it when I played roller derby...  

I can't get The Joke Explained or Random Name Generator out of my head. They've been there solid for a good 2 weeks now and I know I've had a couple dreams where I was singing them, too. Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining!  :music

I've decided to just give in and change my VC name from Folkgirl to Eternal Instigator. Get it? Ince-tigator? (For those who don't know me, my last name is Ince and I like to rile things up a bit  :comeonDave the Husband thinks it's quite possibly the most fitting name I could ever have LOL! I only wish I would have had it when I played roller derby...

Yes, Instigator fits you perfectly, Candi!

You inspired me to make a long-overdue change myself. I am now Magnetized. Considering this Wilco obsession seems to be permanent, it seems like a fitting name for me.

Just chipping in wuth a vote for Taste The Ceiling.

Don't see it getting many positive mentions (not necessarily negative mentions, just an absence) and I find that melody being a constant in my head and I'm glad it's there as a gentle oasis of calm amongst the rowdiness of its neighbours.

Amen to that! I'm loving this song!

I think the similarity actually hurts King of You. It sounds like more of an extension then it's own song.

Oh come on, one is like "doo, ba doo, ba doo, ba doo, ba doo, ba doo, ba doo, ba da dum" and the other is like "bah! bah! ba da ba-da da!"

:badger

Esquire named Pickled Ginger as one of the 10 best songs of July 2015 (along with Galactic and Isbell).  Funny, of all the songs on Star Wars, I wouldn't choose that one as the "best", but I was just glad to see Wilco getting some love.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/g2287/best-songs-july-2015/

Interesting company there... the Iron & Wine cover of Talking Heads' This Must Be the Place was kinda cool. 

And yes, nice to see Wilco show up in unlikely places.

Esquire named Pickled Ginger as one of the 10 best songs of July 2015 (along with Galactic and Isbell).  Funny, of all the songs on Star Wars, I wouldn't choose that one as the "best", but I was just glad to see Wilco getting some love.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/g2287/best-songs-july-2015/

I like the QOTSA comparison, because it's warranted and kind of a surprising connection, so that's insightful.

And yes, nice to see Wilco show up in unlikely places.

It was spit-take worthy when Entertainment Weekly placed "Taste the Ceiling" on their list of "Hot Midsummer Jams," alongside Taylor Swift, A$AP Rocky, Miguel, Vince Staples, and Carly Rae Jepson.  Strange company.

You inspired me to make a long-overdue change myself. I am now Magnetized. Considering this Wilco obsession seems to be permanent, it seems like a fitting name for me.

Fitting, yes, but oh, that's gonna take some getting used to.

I like the QOTSA comparison, because it's warranted and kind of a surprising connection, so that's insightful.

I was surprised by the QOTSA-ness of that song on my first listen but it works really well.

Magnetized makes great sense! Just do not change your avatar anytime soon. Then you'll really throw me.

Love the album but I had to stop listening to it for fear of getting burnt out. Been 3-4 days since I gave it a spin but I am looking forward to seeing them play it tonight (fingers crossed).

After that, I might wait until the vinyl arrives before I listen to it again...

I wasn't sure what to make of the release idea - the "let's just drop it for free" plan.  in retrospect, it was pretty amazing way to hear an album for the first time. No preconceived notions, no long interviews about the songs, no reviews tainting your view, no singles to give an indication of where the sound might be headed - just sitting down and listening to what was created.

It helps that I absolutely love the sound of this new record, but either way it was a great way to experience it.

On a related note, I hope they begin to move away from playing the whole record start to finish.  I'd like to hear these songs mixed in with their show - the drowning guitars of Satellite fading into Kidsmoke or some of the noisier bits dissolving into Poor Places, for example.

On a related note, I hope they begin to move away from playing the whole record start to finish.  I'd like to hear these songs mixed in with their show - the drowning guitars of Satellite fading into Kidsmoke or some of the noisier bits dissolving into Poor Places, for example.

I agree. While it would be great fun right now to see them playing the whole album through start to finish, I'm betting that will be a pretty temporary thing. I won't be seeing them until the end of September at Pilgrimage, and I'm hoping that by then they'll be blending the new songs in with the classics. Not least because it will be interesting to see how they work them in. Jeff puts a lot of thought into the flow of the setlist, I think.

Instigator would have fit you too, Diane LOL! It's definitely a permanent obsession :love 

Speaking of permanent, it's bonus time at work which means it's time to start going through posters for another tattoo! Taking suggestions...

It won't last long but it's cool that they can pull it off without having to dedicate an entire show to just that record (since it's so short). Unfortunately, I don't have any shows coming up so I'm guessing I won't get to experience it live. Thank the maker for tapers! You guys rock!  :rock

I wasn't sure what to make of the release idea - the "let's just drop it for free" plan.  in retrospect, it was pretty amazing way to hear an album for the first time. No preconceived notions, no long interviews about the songs, no reviews tainting your view, no singles to give an indication of where the sound might be headed - just sitting down and listening to what was created.

That was the most exciting couple of rock and roll days I've had in a long, time that's for sure...borrowed a friend's wall projecter and stayed up till 5 a.m. to watch the Pitchfork show. Fantastico.

With the exception of "EKG" (which they haven't been playing, just coming out to it...like it was their theme song) & "You Satellite" Wilco performed the whole new album acoustic last night. They didn't do it all in row, in order... while it appeared shuffled in amidst the other songs in the set list (in three, 3 songs in a row, bursts), as they appeared, they came out in order (from "More" to "Magnetized") ...

500 capacity club sounds truly perfect for an all-acoustic Wilco show. Really hope that this one becomes a Roadcase release!!!! That, and hopefully soon, a Roadcase of a full electric performance of the new album (as it's being played, in it's entirety, to kick off their lives shows as of right now...)

Less Than You Think>
Wasn't Born To Follow [The Byrds]
**More...
**Random Name Generator
**The Joke Explained
War On War
Bull Black Nova
Remember The Mountain Bed
Hesitating Beauty
Kamera
**Taste The Ceiling
**Pickled Ginger