Star Wars Reviews

First review?  Greg Kot gives "Star Wars" 3.5 stars.

After four years of vault-emptying archival releases and scattered retrospective tours, Wilco got back to business on Thursday night and owned the Internet (music division) for a few hours. Their first album of new material since 2011 suggested the random appearance of a long-lost relative at the front door, unshaven, slouching, hands in pockets, but bearing gifts in his backpack from years of secret labor.

Wilco made its 11th studio album, “Star Wars” (dBpm), available on its wilcoworld.net website without fanfare. It arrives with its own inscrutable white Cheshire cat on the cover and an apparently tongue-in-cheek title. It’ll take a few more listens, at least, to parse how cover image and album title link to the music, and the music itself carries its own puzzle-piece refusal to be instantly figured out. It’s strange, grimy and alluring in a way that a Wilco album hasn’t been in a decade.

It’s difficult not to hear this album as an extension of the relaxed intimacy of the “Tweedy” debut album that Wilco singer Jeff Tweedy recorded with his son Spencer Tweedy on drums last year. At the time, Jeff Tweedy contrasted the family project to the more complex “committee” approach of recent Wilco albums, and how that led to more drawn-out recording sessions.

But nothing sounds particularly labored or fussy on “Star Wars.” Many of the songs blend messy guitars, recessed vocals and deceptively off-the-cuff arrangements. The 11 tracks, which zip past in 34 minutes, suggest a smart combination of live takes and studio-as-instrument experimentation. There’s nothing pristine or particularly clean about these sounds – and it’s thrilling to hear Wilco’s musicians (including virtuosos such as guitarist Nels Cline and drummer Glenn Kotche) so off-handed in their interplay, so unconcerned about how pristine or pure their tones might sound.

A terse instrumental, “EKG,” makes it instantly apparent that it’s not business as usual with its skewed, distressed guitars and off-kilter drums bringing back fond memories of the late, great Chicago art-punks U.S. Maple. “More…” swims with sighing vocals and woozy keyboards, punctuated by guitar fills that sound like cats in an alley fight, before a wave of noise overtakes everything.

The run of random violence and beauty continues over the next handful of songs. Low voices rumble and guitars agitate on “Random Name Generator,” all dense and menacing. “I kinda like it when I make you cry,” Tweedy sings. He adopts a Dylan-esque cadence and mirthful drawl on “The Joke Explained,” and “Your Satellite” becomes a tangle of guitars and chaotic drums. “Taste the Ceiling” offers a bit more clarity, almost a straight up folk melody, with a foreboding undertow. “Why do our disasters creep so slowly into view,” the singer asks.

This is an album full of trap doors and trick turns, disguising songs that probably would sound just fine on a lone acoustic guitar. But that also would come off as predictable and boring. This album isn’t that. “Pickled Ginger” (great title that) finishes a thrilling opening rush with subterranean guitars, episodic drums and sonar-blip keyboards. Tweedy gets his falsetto Prince on and the guitars sound like they’re being sucked backward into a worm hole.

After that, the ride smooths out a bit, but the album finishes strong with a relatively subdued grace note. “Magnetized” has a quirky, baroque pop sensibility with fake strings, orchestral drumming (a nice nod to the late-Beatles era tastefulness of Ringo Starr) and what sounds like a musical saw – imagine an operatic soprano belting it out with lots of reverb.

Final note: It’s impossible to assess an album this thick with twists and turns in a few hours. But at this early stage, it feels rich enough to reward more listens. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early...but at least the reviewer admits it. That seems like a "premature evaluation" then an album review...although it's well written

Eventually first impressions give way to more measured opinions, but there's value in discussing first impressions, too.  Kot has a special interest in Wilco--he literally wrote the book--so it's a first impression that carries some interest.  I'm definitely looking forward to real analysis pieces, though.

I've got a lot of time for Greg Kot, Learning How Do Die is an excellent, well researched read. I'm hoping that either Summerteeth, YHF or Ghost get the 33 1/3 book treatment some day. He's the best qualified to handle the task I'd say.

With regard to his review:

"[...] and the music itself carries its own puzzle-piece refusal to be instantly figured out. It’s strange, grimy and alluring in a way that a Wilco album hasn’t been in a decade."

Nailed it.

Like many visiting this page I'm a bit of a Wilco fan-boy. And by "bit" I mean huge. That said, after a couple spins I love Star Wars. Why? Well, it's fun and crisp and whole - qualities that were, IMHO, not really in short supply, but incomplete on SBS, WTA, & WL. Don't get me wrong, I love lots n lots about those albums, but as follow ups to the sledgehammers of perfection that preceded them?....not so much. Sukirae really caught me off guard by how great it is - completely unexpected. And now Star Wars layers on where the Tweedy lp left off. Has anyone else noted a Loose Fur aesthetic on Sukirae & Star Wars? I love that live & let die song structure and performance vibe that got a little lost for a few albums in a gloss of self-consciousness, or preciousness, or maybe careful precision. Something like that.

Anyhow, high marks for Star Wars. Got my tix for the Greek 8/5, and now my anticipation spike is sky high!

The Barn Presents

Wilco released an unannounced album today titled Star Wars. The album features 11 previously unreleased compositions, and is available for free at www.WilcoWorld.net for a limited time.

As the silly name and feline album-art might make one suspect, the record isn’t a proper follow-up to The Whole Love, but sounds self-recorded and produced.

However, this isn’t to say the material is weak.

While instrumental opener “EKG” feels like a bit of a throwaway, “More…” sounds like a fully realized Wilco track, full of great guitar lines and a bouncy feel provided by drums and organ.

“Random Name Generator” is a guitar-based track similar to “I’m A Wheel,” while “The Joke Explained” focuses on Tweedy’s rambling vocals, though again giving way to heavily distorted guitar.

All of the tracks are short and sweet until “Satellite.”

Placed at the center of the tracklist, “Satellite” is a five-minute piece featuring layers of jagged guitars. An extended, spacey jam seems to spin endlessly onward, building to a noisy height, an experimental track by Wilco’s standards.

On songs like this, the ‘live recording’ feel works in the band’s favor, demonstrating the group’s cohesiveness in playing together.

The murky “Pickled Ginger” shows a minimalist punk influence, the entire song impossibly simple. “Where Do I Begin” may feature Tweedy’s best songwriting in the batch of songs, but remains a simple and straightforward ballad until it’s explosive finale.

“Cold Slope” boasts a hard-rocking groove, similar to much of A Ghost Is Born, and is paired perfectly with “King Of You,” which features a similar guitar-based groove. Of all of Star Wars, these are the tracks that Wilco fans will most likely latch on to.

“Magnetized” is a perfect album closer, a cinematic piano ballad with a simple vocal hook.

Though Wilco’s reasoning for releasing this album for free is uncertain, there’s no denying that it’s a good batch of songs.Star Wars feels like Wilco simply jamming songs out, doing their thing and chasing ideas as they come. The raw production is something fans aren’t used to, but may actually help the guitar-oriented album establish the right vibe. Like the production, this is Wilco at their rawest.

As the silly name and feline album-art might make one suspect, the record isn’t a proper follow-up to The Whole Love, but sounds self-recorded and produced.

I'm calling bullshit on that.  They've been "self recording" and "self producing" for a while now.  And "proper"... come on.

OK, this is the most insufferably hipper-than-thou review I've ever read.  But at least the jackass "critic" likes the album.  

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/18/wilco-s-new-free-album-is-the-band-s-best-in-years.html

Something's wrong with the world when someone is actually paid to write this stuff.  It's more about what the author deems to be "cool" (hint: not you!) than the music.

OK, this is the most insufferably hipper-than-thou review I've ever read. But at least the jackass "critic" likes the album.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/18/wilco-s-new-free-album-is-the-band-s-best-in-years.html

Something's wrong with the world when someone is actually paid to write this stuff. It's more about what the author deems to be "cool" (hint: not you!) than the music.

This killed me

"Wilco is a band that has found itself on the not-undeserving end of more than a few musical stereotypes" because in the first sentence the guy uses the words "dad rock".

Ugh.

He is the reason people are so quick to stereotype Wilco. He's adding to that.

I'm stressed out after reading that.

I also found the review funny and a good review overall. Thankfully, it did not add to my stress level.