A.M. - Vinyl Me, Please Edition

So this awesome record club I've been part of for a while now has decided to make A.M. it's Record of the Month, which means it gets a custom pressing and mailed out to their thousands of subscribers. I've always considered A.M. to be Wilco's most underrated record (constantly rated on here below WTA) so it's nice to see it getting this treatment.

wilco-am1.jpg

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering the Vinyl Me, Please edition comes with

• 180g red-tangerine vinyl
  • Gatefold sleeve
  • New insert design with handwritten lyrics from Jeff Tweedy
  • 12″x12″ original art print by Ryder Evan Robison

Here's what they have to say about the album:

"Wilco is a band that cares about making albums...well-crafted, start-to-finish albums that are born for the vinyl format. Twenty years ago the band released their debut album to little fanfare. In fact, it was largely overlooked at the time, which is what makes this project even more special. A.M. is the hidden gem of the Wilco catalog, one that has slowly emerged as a classic over many spins. Showcasing the emergence of Jeff Tweedy as a band leader and songwriter, this is an album we care about now in 2015 and one that people will still care about in 2035."

As I don't yet have A.M. on vinyl, needless to say I'm pretty excited about this release!

http://vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

Is this the July release? If you sign up before the 15th you can get that month's record, so what I'm wondering is if it's too late for AM.

Nevermind, I see this is the August record. Hmmm.....

Is this the July release? If you sign up before the 15th you can get that month's record, so what I'm wondering is if it's too late for AM.

Nevermind, I see this is the August record. Hmmm.....

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we can sign up any time before August 15th and get AM?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we can sign up any time before August 15th and get AM?

Yep, totally worth it too not just for this record but all of the records they've sent out since I became a subscriber last December have been really awesome and stuff that I might not have necessarily checked out on my own.

I'm really curious to see what their cocktail pairing for A.M. is going to be.

I would totally join this club, but my vinyl cabinet is getting full, and I have to be selective on what I purchase.

I'm sure if you just wanted A.M. you could sign up for just this month and then cancel.

So this awesome record club I've been part of for a while now has decided to make A.M. it's Record of the Month, which means it gets a custom pressing and mailed out to their thousands of subscribers. I've always considered A.M. to be Wilco's most underrated record (constantly rated on here below WTA) so it's nice to see it getting this treatment.

wilco-am1.jpg

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering the Vinyl Me, Please edition comes with

• 180g red-tangerine vinyl
  • Gatefold sleeve
  • New insert design with handwritten lyrics from Jeff Tweedy
  • 12″x12″ original art print by Ryder Evan Robison

Here's what they have to say about the album:

"Wilco is a band that cares about making albums...well-crafted, start-to-finish albums that are born for the vinyl format. Twenty years ago the band released their debut album to little fanfare. In fact, it was largely overlooked at the time, which is what makes this project even more special. A.M. is the hidden gem of the Wilco catalog, one that has slowly emerged as a classic over many spins. Showcasing the emergence of Jeff Tweedy as a band leader and songwriter, this is an album we care about now in 2015 and one that people will still care about in 2035."

As I don't yet have A.M. on vinyl, needless to say I'm pretty excited about this release!

http://vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

I'm planning on signing up for this. @ThisIsNowhere, if you want to send me a referral we can each get a free record out of it. 

http://vinylmeplease.com/refer-a-friend/

If you're up for it, just let me know how you'd prefer to send it and I'll DM my info.

I'm planning on signing up for this. @ThisIsNowhere, if you want to send me a referral we can each get a free record out of it. 

http://vinylmeplease.com/refer-a-friend/

If you're up for it, just let me know how you'd prefer to send it and I'll DM my info.

PM sent. And this goes for anyone else too...free records anybody?

Pulled the trigger on this. Not sure if I'll keep my subscription beyond this release (seems like too much money honestly), but I'll be interested to see the quality of the pressing in addition to the packaging/art print (not to mention I'm a total sucker for colored vinyl). I'm less interested in the custom cocktail recipe but my girlfriend is really into that stuff so I might actually give it a spin with the drink in my hand.

Saw this on the vinyl me site about how they got to work with Wilco:

1. Getting to work with Wilco this month is probably the biggest dream come true for me. It's actually kind of funny how that came to be... here's the story.

We originally started talking to them about a year ago. We weren't talking directly to Wilco, but to their management team / label reps. We said we wanted to feature one of their records for an upcoming month. We originally set our sights on Ghost is Born since it hadn't been repressed since it's original release but given it is a double LP with insane packaging it came to be too expensive for us to do so. So we both said, ok, we'll touch base in a couple months.

Not too long after that we got an email from their management team saying the project had gone all the way up to Jeff Tweedy and he wanted to do whatever they could to make it happen. So we got back together and started brainstorming what might work. We landed on AM for a number of reasons but the biggest of which is it's a debut from a band that has put out so much good material since that it's often forgotten about and overlooked. It's a killer record from start to finish and it's born from some interesting drama after the demise of Uncle Tupelo. We all agreed that was the one. Price was still an issue but because AM is a single LP it became feasible. The band / label also made some compromises on their end to make it happen which is incredible to see how much they believed in and wanted to be a part of VMP.

At the same time, Wilco's management asked if we could set Jeff up with a promo subscription. We of course obliged and for his first box we wanted to do something special. I started writing a sappy letter saying how much we loved their work and how excited we were to be working with them. I think I true 6th grade style and even included some lyrics and was like... 'we got a box full of records for you too!' Thankfully my wife caught it before we actually sent it and I changed it to something a little... shall we say... cooler clear.png

Wilco is just one example of that... there are tons of all-time favorite artists that we want to work with. Only a matter of time.

Thanks for asking!

Saw this on the vinyl me site about how they got to work with Wilco:

1. Getting to work with Wilco this month is probably the biggest dream come true for me. It's actually kind of funny how that came to be... here's the story.

We originally started talking to them about a year ago. We weren't talking directly to Wilco, but to their management team / label reps. We said we wanted to feature one of their records for an upcoming month. We originally set our sights on Ghost is Born since it hadn't been repressed since it's original release but given it is a double LP with insane packaging it came to be too expensive for us to do so. So we both said, ok, we'll touch base in a couple months.

Not too long after that we got an email from their management team saying the project had gone all the way up to Jeff Tweedy and he wanted to do whatever they could to make it happen. So we got back together and started brainstorming what might work. We landed on AM for a number of reasons but the biggest of which is it's a debut from a band that has put out so much good material since that it's often forgotten about and overlooked. It's a killer record from start to finish and it's born from some interesting drama after the demise of Uncle Tupelo. We all agreed that was the one. Price was still an issue but because AM is a single LP it became feasible. The band / label also made some compromises on their end to make it happen which is incredible to see how much they believed in and wanted to be a part of VMP.

At the same time, Wilco's management asked if we could set Jeff up with a promo subscription. We of course obliged and for his first box we wanted to do something special. I started writing a sappy letter saying how much we loved their work and how excited we were to be working with them. I think I true 6th grade style and even included some lyrics and was like... 'we got a box full of records for you too!' Thankfully my wife caught it before we actually sent it and I changed it to something a little... shall we say... cooler clear.png

Wilco is just one example of that... there are tons of all-time favorite artists that we want to work with. Only a matter of time.

Thanks for asking!

That was an interesting read; thanks for sharing. I didn't realize AGIB hadn't been repressed since its original run...

Received mine last night. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet but I was impressed with the overall package. The art print is striking and the cocktail recipe sounds pretty good (with or without alcohol). I'll post again once I give it a listen!