Gimme your favorite live show download recommendations

2001-2003 is a really interesting period especially after Jay is fired. Wilco are sort of "stripped down" - and Jeff does much of the heavy guitar lifting, as he does on a ghost is born.

I also like the SBS era just because many of the songs are really good live and it was the first times they played them. Right now actually is my favorite period in live Wilco, I think these are the best their shows have been, though I have only been a fan since 2009 so I never attended shows before then.

I also really like the Being There tour period, late '90s is very interesting period in general. Also as early as 1999 you start hearing early versions of YHF stuff, which is neat. The same goes with '97 and Summerteeth.

Early early Wilco is interesting but they would do lots of UT (which I love, but gets old compared to other periods in Wilco live shows) and sometimes even Jeff solo for a bit - again which I love but which takes a bit away from those shows compared to other eras.

Washington D.C. 2003 - I hope that you have health insurance because your face will be melted off from the 13 minute version of Laminated Cat where Tweedy & Jim O'Rourke shred.

It also features an early version of At Least That's What You Said and the funky version of Muzzle Of Bees. Sunken Treasure is pretty killer too!

Washington D.C. 2003 - I hope that you have health insurance because your face will be melted off from the 13 minute version of Laminated Cat where Tweedy & Jim O'Rourke shred.

It also features an early version of At Least That's What You Said and the funky version of Muzzle Of Bees. Sunken Treasure is pretty killer too!

Going to check this one out ASAP, thanks!

Edit: Actually, mind pointing me in the direction of this one? Can't find it on owl and bear

You'll need the whole date. You can look it up at Wilcobase.

Those of you wondering about more recent shows - the shows will be up there the next time there is an update.

Pretty sure it's 6/30/03 - Sonic Youth played that show too. 6/29 and 7/2 dates (presumably the ones before and after) seem to be on there though.

Pretty sure it's 6/30/03 - Sonic Youth played that show too. 6/29 and 7/2 dates (presumably the ones before and after) seem to be on there though.

Yeah, it's June 30th. Sorry about that. There are a few shows from that spring tour the same year that are worth getting too. I'm almost positive that there is a show in late April & early May that I had that featured More Like The Moon & Less Than You Think which actually started being played in late 2002.

Those shows are 4-28-03, 5-01-03, & 5-03-03.

The 2 Chicago shows in Sept 2003 are also worth it. Actually, the Eugene show in September is pretty amazing too. That was a radio broadcast, I think.

I'm almost positive that I have the DC show in my iTunes. It's up to people here if I can upload it for fans. I could probably get to that this weekend.

We have a few threads on this topic already, for further research.

http://viachicago.org/topic/45365-exceptional-wilco-tweedy-performances/?hl=%2Bbest+%2Blive+%2Bdownloads&do=findComment&comment=1461333

(with links to other, related, threads)

http://viachicago.org/topic/43775-best-available-live-show-downloads-sound-quality/?hl=%2Bbest+%2Blive+%2Bdownloads

At this point (or rather, since about 2001 or so), I'm really only interested in listening to shows I have attended. But here are some older gems.

December 14, 1996 - featuring Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

May 10, 1997 - featuring a bunch of covers

November 19, 1999 - both the sdbd and the aud are good listens.  Very representative show of that year.

September 19, 2000 - late Jay-era show including some pre-YHF release material. Fairly long set for that time.

July 4, 2001 - essentially the YHF "record release show." FM broadcast. Grant Park broadcast from August 12, 2000 is also very good.

PS -  nice avatar. So cool that Bloom County is back!

Yeah, it's June 30th. Sorry about that. There are a few shows from that spring tour the same year that are worth getting too. I'm almost positive that there is a show in late April & early May that I had that featured More Like The Moon & Less Than You Think which actually started being played in late 2002.

Those shows are 4-28-03, 5-01-03, & 5-03-03.

The 2 Chicago shows in Sept 2003 are also worth it. Actually, the Eugene show in September is pretty amazing too. That was a radio broadcast, I think.

I'm almost positive that I have the DC show in my iTunes. It's up to people here if I can upload it for fans. I could probably get to that this weekend.

Wow, I've got to check those ones out.

SY (touring Murray Street) and Wilco (pre-Ghost) on the same night - that would have been incredible. Can't wait!

Oh, wow. So many. Depends on which era you want to explore. There are a lot of great SBDs up until about 2004, then they start to *taper* off. I have mined the depths of Owl & Bear. Here are my favorites:

5/23/95 (high energy A.M. era show with plenty of Uncle Tuoelo tunes. Seminal al-country sound)

11/20/96 (Jeff & Jay, really fun)

9/4/97 (stripped down in-studio radio performance late in the Being There tour. They sound exhausted but really tight and happy to be not rocking out for a change)

9/4/98 (giving the new Mermaid Avenue stuff a workout and introducing Leroy)

10/4/99 (taping for Sessions at West 54th, Summerteeth showcase)

7/30/00 (pick any Fillmore night, this one's my favorite. Rockers and Mermaid Avenue I and II highlights)

7/4/01 (last show with Jay; good single-disc summation of the band's career to that point)

10/5/01 (my favorite of the Wilco quartet tour. Ssshhh.)

3/16/02 (Good single-disc listen to YHF-era stripped down Wilco growing more confident)

10/29/02 (Wilco the quintet owning the YHF material and busting out some rarities)

9/4/03 (Probably my favorite. Noisy Jeff guitar work, rarities, great mellow intelrudes in a fantastic set list)

HAPPY LISTENING!

10/4/99 (taping for Sessions at West 54th, Summerteeth showcase)

No way - they played Sessions at West 54th? I used to watch that all the time and I've never heard of this before. :blink

Great summary, by the way!

No way - they played Sessions at West 54th? I used to watch that all the time and I've never heard of this before. :blink

It's a great recording. Opens with a really strong "California Stars" with some extra muscle. "I'm Always in Love" races along with the garage-rock energy of the version played in the IATTBYH film.

There was a period where I was completely immersed in these recordings and others. Know them in and out. I took a bit of a Wilco hiatus after burning through so many live recordings and the long gap between TWL and Star Wars, but I love pulling out these older shows from time to time. It's fun to go back and trace the band's evolution.

It's on one of the JHamm dvds. You might also find it on Youtube or Daily Motion.

It's on one of the JHamm dvds. You might also find it on Youtube or Daily Motion.

I have this one on my external HD - depending on size I can dropbox it. Though I believe I got it on Etree - some of the JHamm stuff is up there, but not all of it is seeded.

Edit: - awesome - now I have a bunch of shows to listen to today during work (though there's a good amount just in this thread, haven't even looked at the older ones, so doubt I will get through too many today)