What is wrong with Nels Cline?

Seriously - is he from outer space?  Why is he so much better than every other guitar player?  I must have heard a few hundred different versions of Impossible Germany and everyone is different and the next more amazing than the previous.  I was just watching the video of the Pitchfork show and I was just blown away all over again by Nels' creativity and skill.  His musical sensibilities are just on a different plane of being than most other musicians - almost all of whom are out there just playing the same old stuff.  Nels blows them all out of the water.

I have long disliked guitarists that "shred" too much; fill the measures with flurries of fast notes.  I've realized through enjoying Nels, the reason I dislike that sound usually is not necessarily because it's fast leads, but because guitarists in the rock category tend to approach those flurries with the same patterns, scales, and phrasing.  If you slow it down, they're often playing very similar things.  That's what makes people call it "wanky", very familiar patterns.

Nels opens up his fret board and his fast picking to express so many more musical ideas.  His extensive jazz and avant-garde explorations have given him a really broad palette, and he seems to really tap into the energy of "the now" as an improviser.  This is all said without even mentioning his creativity as a sculptor of tones, textures and noise.

I have long disliked guitarists that "shred" too much; fill the measures with flurries of fast notes.  I've realized through enjoying Nels, the reason I dislike that sound usually is not necessarily because it's fast leads, but because guitarists in the rock category tend to approach those flurries with the same patterns, scales, and phrasing.  If you slow it down, they're often playing very similar things.  That's what makes people call it "wanky", very familiar patterns.

Nels opens up his fret board and his fast picking to express so many more musical ideas.  His extensive jazz and avant-garde explorations have given him a really broad palette, and he seems to really tap into the energy of "the now" as an improviser.  This is all said without even mentioning his creativity as a sculptor of tones, textures and noise.

The "Impossible Germany" solo is good evidence of this - there are certain measures where he only hits 1 or 2 notes, plus or minus a hammer-on.

And as you say, he totally avoids guitar cliches like "boxing" etc - he's a unique guitarist, and my favorite.

Barring Glen Kotche he's the best thing to ever happen to Wilco as a live band. Album wise until Star Wars he's been apart of a extensive sweet period of Jeff Tweedys songwriting. Not that You Are My fave Side With The Seeds and Art Of Almost are sweet and not that most of Am to YHF isn't sweet melodies and cute lyrics. But you get the point.

His interpretations of the A Ghost Is Born material is up there with Mike Bloomfield on Highway 61 and Crazy Horse Neil Young. Basically everything just below Voodoo Child.

Wait, Dave Bloomfield and Highway 65?  What are we talking about here?

Nel's solo on Impossible Germany got the attention of festival goers who were not really that into Wilco at Pitchfork. He lit up the entire set as far as I was concerned.

LouieB

Nels is formally trained in harmonic studies.  That fact alone probably explains why he has an approach that is different and more highly evolved/developed than most guitarists. 

But add to that the following facts:  He spent a long time playing acoustic guitar, exclusively.  He has spent significant amounts of time during various parts of his career playing punk, new wave, chamber music, prog rock, country, and just about every different style of jazz and improvised music that exists.  He's played as a solo performer, as a member of very large ensembles, and everything in between. 

That all adds up to a pretty damn good stew.

Wait, Dave Bloomfield and Highway 65? What are we talking about here?

Nel's solo on Impossible Germany got the attention of festival goers who were not really that into Wilco at Pitchfork. He lit up the entire set as far as I was concerned.

LouieB

Was it that late when I wrote that? I just considered not using this avatar for another 4 years.

I must've been thinking 65 as 1965 when the record was released. As for Dave well that's long day of work setting in.

After Jeff, Glenn is the MVP of the group as far as I'm concerned. John would get the runner-up spot.

I have observed this phenomena at Wilco shows before. You can almost see light bulbs go on for people during the solo, especially at the end when the three guitars hit that crescendo. I try to make a point to scan the crowd during that part to see people's reactions.

That is some classic Wilco shit. And Nels makes it so.

Yea, it is a real crowd pleaser.  You are right, rather than the heavy ensemble playing that goes on most of the time, this gives Nels a real chance to show his stuff (and not simply shred or play against Jeff) and then be joined by the other two guitarists, playing beautiful counterpoint.  The song itself is secondary to the rolling out of this solo, which is nearly it's entire reason for being. I like watching the crowd too, because everyone goes nuts.

LouieB

I enjoy Pat's work during the verses in Impossible Germany more than Nels' slot.

Nels' sheer athleticism and dexterity in the IG solo is certainly fun to watch but creatively he has better outlets in wilco tunes, in my opinion. (Ashes of American Flags, ALTWYS accompaniment, Side with the Seeds...)

I enjoy Pat's work during the verses in Impossible Germany more than Nels' slot.

Nels' sheer athleticism and dexterity in the IG solo is certainly fun to watch but creatively he has better outlets in wilco tunes, in my opinion. (Ashes of American Flags, ALTWYS accompaniment, Side with the Seeds...)

Nels KILLS Ashes.  The first time I ever heard the live version on Kicking Television, it was like my whole world was changed.

The televised version of Ashes from the ACL broadcast is my favorite guitar solo of all time. Hands down.

Have you heard the one from night 2 of the Chicago "Winterlude" shows? That's mine. He kills on that song every time, but that one just floors me.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know if Nels played live with Wilco before the warm up shows for the Ghost is Born tour in Spring 2004?  I saw a mention that he sat in on a show in 2003, but have been unable to confirm and or find it.

I think I remember Scarnella (Nels and Carla Bozulich) opening a show or two around then and joining them on stage for a song or two.

EDIT: I guess it was Carla's Red Headed Stranger band, not Scarnella.

This page has a link to Handshake Drugs with Nels: 

http://popheadwound.blogspot.com/2009/05/bootleg-wilco-chicago-illinois-91903.html

Jeff's comment at the end of the song: "I think that might be the best guitar player in the world."