What is wrong with Nels Cline?

I think I remember Scarnella (Nels and Carla Bozulich) opening a show or two around then and joining them on stage for a song or two.

EDIT: I guess it was Carla's Red Headed Stranger band, not Scarnella.

This page has a link to Handshake Drugs with Nels: 

http://popheadwound.blogspot.com/2009/05/bootleg-wilco-chicago-illinois-91903.html

Jeff's comment at the end of the song: "I think that might be the best guitar player in the world."

Thanks so much for cluing me in. The transformation in their live sound from 2003 to 2004 is remarkable.

Wait, Dave Bloomfield and Highway 65? What are we talking about here?

Nel's solo on Impossible Germany got the attention of festival goers who were not really that into Wilco at Pitchfork. He lit up the entire set as far as I was concerned.

LouieB

Agree that the newcomers or non fans get into Impossible Germany as an Wilco starter in Concert / Ive seen it happen w/ friends and family. Prior it seemed the staple and go to song was VIa Chicago. Can't wait till they revisit the Orpheum in January !

There's a guy here in Minneapolis named Park Evans who became my local guitar hero the first time I saw him play. I'd never seen or heard anyone at a local level who could come that close to Nels Cline. When my local music cosmos aligned a couple years ago, I became friends with his girlfriend and got to know him - turns out he's a highly trained jazz guitarist with a love for effect pedals which explained why I was drawn to his sound. I started taking lessons from Park a few months ago and every now and then he'll play something that screams "NELS!" and I'll make him repeat it and show me what he did because it's like figuring out a magician's trick. Not that I can replicate it LOL!