• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say that my least favorite are the Chad Wackerman years. I never liked his robotic playing style, and it contributes heavily to a very safe and unfiery sounding band.

Same here - I've never liked his drumming, and always thought him a robot too.

Vinnie Colaiuta is my favorite Zappa drummer. 

Here's my Zappa all-star band:

Stunt Guitar: Steve Vai

Rhythm guitar, vocals: Ray White

Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta

Keyboards: George Duke

Percussion: Ruth Underwood

Bass: Arthur Barrow

sax, vocals, flute: Napoleon Murphy Brock

I almost never listen to anything after Zoot Allures, which is weird since Joe's Garage was my entry point.   I love the Don Preston era and the run from Hot Rats through Apostrophe (minus the records that are heavy on Flo & Eddie).

I tried watching 200 Motels a long time ago, and quickly lost interest.

I also tried listening to Thing Fish, and didn't get far at all. 

Yesterday I was looking at the contents of the Old Masters Box Sets. I never purchased any of these - their price point was way too high for me as a teenager. Box 3 is definitely right in my wheel house. I'm much less interested in 1 and 2. 

Come to think of it, Thing Fish is probably my least liked album by an artist I like.

Another thread!

But, we may have already done that? Albums you hate by artists you love?

I can't even weigh in on Thing Fish, because it was so awful I couldn't get all the way through it.

Why punish yourself? :lol

I listened to most of Over-Nite Sensation on the way to work today. Anyone who doesn't love the first few tracks of that album (or OSFA, for that matter), I don't know what to tell you. We are in different universes.

So you and Christgau aren't pals, apparently: http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist2.php?id=4155

Christgau hated everything Zappa until he revisited We're Only In It... in 1995, giving it an A. 

I listened to the first few minutes of Thing Fish yesterday.  It's still terrible, but it's kind of funny that it exists, and imagining Ike Willis recording the narration, which Zappa had to write a script for, is pretty hysterical.

• 5 weeks later...

Gonna dig into the "post-wheelchair" era in the next few days: taking the Wazoo live 2-disc set and Imaginary Diseases with me in the car stereo. God bless my tolerant wife. :lol

My wife is generous enough with the all the Dead I play.  Zappa on a road trip would lead to some serious marital issues :-)

ok, 55 years into my life im going to take a deep dive into Zappa and see how it works out for me,  Ive always been intrigued, but never felt ready, now I'm ready.  I've got Overnight Sensation, Shut up and play your guitar box set and You cant do that on stage volumne two.  Where shoudl I go from there and why? the 60's stuff? 70's?  the original mothers?  Any advice would be appreciated.  

So, what are your thoughts so far?

I picked up a couple albums from itunes last night:

A Token of His Extreme - which was a short show he recorded in 1974 for a TV special that never aired - some of which is featured on his Dub Room Special video. I've only listened to this once so far, but it's really really good. This is my favorite Zappa line-up. Great stuff.

Zappa - Wazoo. I haven't listened to this one yet - it's a live recording of a big band he put together to play the stuff off of the Grand Wazoo. I've heard good things. Anyone else have this one?

I got detoured a little bit. But I did buy a couple and so far I prefer his stuff with interesting/fun lyrics, like Apostrophe, and good guitar work. Can't do that on stage #2 was harder to digest because it veered further into the unconventional than I was ready to go.

So, what are your thoughts so far?

I picked up a couple albums from itunes last night:

A Token of His Extreme - which was a short show he recorded in 1974 for a TV special that never aired - some of which is featured on his Dub Room Special video. I've only listened to this once so far, but it's really really good. This is my favorite Zappa line-up. Great stuff.

Zappa - Wazoo. I haven't listened to this one yet - it's a live recording of a big band he put together to play the stuff off of the Grand Wazoo. I've heard good things. Anyone else have this one?

Wazoo is just okay, but Imaginary Diseases (from that same general timeframe) is excellent.