Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time

Performer? Bowie > Lou

Songwriter? Bowie

Lou's solo output is uneven at best, but still lots of stellar stuff, the same could be said for Bowie. Lou could hardly do any wrong for the Velvets.

I can't help but think of that scene in Almost Famous director's cut when Lester Bangs and the kid reporter are talking about Lou doing Bowie and vice versa.  Hilarious.

There are hundreds and hundreds of great songwriters out there, even after the second world war (since clearly the pre-war songwriters of which there were hundreds of great ones were not considered), but obviously they couldn't include every one.  We can all name our faves that were left off the list.  Once you put Madonna and Taylor Swift (and Kurt Cobain) on you open up the discussion for hundreds of more that are certainly as deserving.  Most of us would agree that Dylan, Lennon and McCartney, and some of the obvious ones should be included, but after that it is all about taste, nothing more.

LouieB

#1 once said in interview that when he hears a Gordon Lightfoot song, "i wish it would last forever".... another that didnt make the list

There was a good Lightfoot interview on television the other night. He talked a bit about Dylan and Kristofferson among other things.

Apparently there is a Paste 100 top songwriters too, which is similar but of course different.

I think the title "of all time" is both misleading and disingenuous.  All time is a LONG time.

LouieB

I think the title "of all time" is both misleading and disingenuous.  All time is a LONG time.

LouieB

It's because everything RS states is fact!

Hubris.