Join Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline for a reddit AMA in /r/Music tomorrow, September 1 at 6pm Central time

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Jeff's answers, both the thoughtful, serious ones and the funny ones. One of my favorite exchanges was when someone asked him how he maintains a personal, intimate connection with his fans now that the fanbase is so much larger. He said:

I only worry about maintaining the personal and intimate connections I have with my family and friends and stay somewhat removed from the notion of fans. More of an abstract thing. Till I meet you then I hope we're just two people.

I loved your reply to Jeff's reply. And he seemed to love it, too!

This was a great read tonight, after the fact. Jeff's statements that he misses Jay Bennett and that he enjoys Jay Farrar's work were touching.

I asked Jeff what he wanted to be when he grew up, and he said that his dad always thought that he had a face for radio.

I can picture Jeff being a radio DJ in an alternate universe somewhere  :ermm

Someone replied to Jeff's response "You've got a voice for it too." Great response!

Anybody know what this exchange is referring to?

[–]MarbleShoes 25 points

12 hours ago 

Jeff, is there any chance you'd team up with Ryan Adams for a "Watch the Throne" type album? 

[–]WilcoJeffJeff Tweedy of Wilco[S] 66 points

11 hours ago 

Sure, and we could perform it standing on cubes at opposite ends of an arena.

[–]savor_today [score hidden]

18 minutes ago 

You might appreciate that I saw that same tour inside the Austin Music Hall (~2k capacity for those who don't know) the cubes barely fit inside the hall, and it was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen! Ha came here to see your take on things, but I never listened to music, excited to listen to the guitar solo that put a guy to tears! 

Thanks for doing what you do, even if it never made it to my ears! Already helped me through words with your humor and outlook, isn't that the ultimate point? :-)

I loved Jeff's answers, both the thoughtful, serious ones and the funny ones. One of my favorite exchanges was when someone asked him how he maintains a personal, intimate connection with his fans now that the fanbase is so much larger. He said:

I only worry about maintaining the personal and intimate connections I have with my family and friends and stay somewhat removed from the notion of fans. More of an abstract thing. Till I meet you then I hope we're just two people.

That was my question.  I stayed up super late to contribute to the Q&A (I live in the UK), and I'm thankful Jeff took a moment to reply.

I appreciate his answer: it's honest, and it helps me clarify some other recent thoughts.  It also leads me to additional questions, not all of which I'm super excited about.  

That was my question. I stayed up super late to contribute to the Q&A (I live in the UK), and I'm thankful Jeff took a moment to reply.

I appreciate his answer: it's honest, and it helps me clarify some other recent thoughts. It also leads me to additional questions, not all of which I'm super excited about.

Can you explain?

Upon re-reading, Jeff offers more good answers than I first thought.  Nels doesn't offer much at all, which Is out of character for him. I suppose he thought the tsunami of questions in this format wasn't conducive to the thoughtful or insightful answers he always gives in regular interviews. 

Upon re-reading, Jeff offers more good answers than I first thought. Nels doesn't offer much at all, which Is out of character for him. I suppose he thought the tsunami of questions in this format wasn't conducive to the thoughtful or insightful answers he always gives in regular interviews.

The Reddit thing went on for 90 minutes. Nels was there only for the last 30 or so. This info was tweeted or something--showed up in my text messages. When he joined he said "I'm here. Gasping to catch up."

I would have preferred one or two interesting answers from Nels rather than 30 "no we don'ts" and "I'll buy you a taco" type answers.  No disrespect to Nels, who I admire and respect greatly, but he wasn't making much effort on this.  

It'd be nice if Reddit could make the answers highlighted, or bold so these AMA dumpsters would be easier to wade through.

I would have preferred one or two interesting answers from Nels rather than 30 "no we don'ts" and "I'll buy you a taco" type answers.  No disrespect to Nels, who I admire and respect greatly, but he wasn't making much effort on this.  

It'd be nice if Reddit could make the answers highlighted, or bold so these AMA dumpsters would be easier to wade through.

I don't think it was lack of effort as much as it was probably being overwhelmed by the number of questions and wanting to do as much as he could in the little time he had. He's also not really a big technology guy. His social media accounts are mostly if not entirely run by his publicists. It's just not his thing. I asked him once why he wasn't on Facebook, and he said something like "If I joined Facebook, it's all I would ever do! I would just lay in bed all the time with my laptop!"

I'm sure time got away from him, and he would have preferred to give more substantive answers.  I don't hold it against him.  Lots of interesting questions were asked, but I guess they get lost in the barrage of questions that get asked in every interview, and have been answered repeatedly and in depth.

I think Jay Bennet would have been great at doing an AMA.  I thought about asking if any current member of Wilco was interviewed for the Jay film - but I decided that might have been rude.

Didn't realize that there was film being made about Bennett.

The whole reddit format seems cumbersome.

Cool page - lot's of great pics - I probably haven't seen a picture of Ken Coomer since 2000.

The movie link didn't work for me either -- hopefully it's just a website glitch and not an indication of the progress of the film.