This is not directed at anyone in particular, I swear, but it's something that really gets me riled up.

Wilco shows are destination events. I honestly don't understand the entitlement that so many fans seem to feel when they don't get shows in their backyards. Maybe it's because I don't live in a large market, but I do not expect Wilco to come to me. I expect to have to go to them. The fact that they're playing in my city for the first time in 12 years is cause for joy, but I never expected it or felt entitled to it.

Some people don't have the luxury of traveling a few hours both ways to see shows, and being that it is a bigger city that is a market Wilco has played a number of times in the past, I can understand the frustration.

Am I frustrated that I've never seen Wilco in my hometown? Nah, but I sacrifice going to and doing a lot of activities and events specifically to go see Wilco 2+ hours from my city. Wilco has played my town once. In 1999. At a shitty hole in the wall that no longer exists. I keep hoping and praying they'll come back to the new venue that's on par with the Tabernacle, or the Pageant in STL. One day, maybe.

It's a luxury though, and not everybody is as zealous as to spending the money to do it. I'd imagine most of those people frustrated on social media are not as zealous as we are.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they skip Philadelphia (yet again), I'm not going to get to see them. DC isn't feasible for me because I have to teach early the next morning. I know they can't play everywhere on every tour, but their last non-festival show there was 2010. From the comments on their Facebook posts, I can tell I'm not the only one who's frustrated.

I'm the same.  Unless I can score some amazing seats for DC, I'm out this tour.  I would love to travel for some, but it's not feasible this time around.  But, it's kind of killing me that I moved from CT.  That New Haven show would be the one to go to.

I'm also a little surprised they are playing the Cap again.  Jeff did not seem happy with the chatty crowds last year.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I swear, but it's something that really gets me riled up.

Wilco shows are destination events. I honestly don't understand the entitlement that so many fans seem to feel when they don't get shows in their backyards. Maybe it's because I don't live in a large market, but I do not expect Wilco to come to me. I expect to have to go to them. The fact that they're playing in my city for the first time in 12 years is cause for joy, but I never expected it or felt entitled to it.

i almost agree with you, but really... not playing Philly since 2010 is really odd.

It's a little strange how slowly tickets are selling in Atlanta.  I got two seats in the front row of the balcony and I didn't buy my tickets until an hour after general on-sale started.  I would have thought all the front of balcony tickets would be the first to go, since the balcony is the only reserved seating.

Sorry, but no matter how you prefaced this post, it was clearly directed at me. Unfortunately, I don't have bottomless pockets, and during the school year it's extremely difficult for me to travel for shows if I have to teach the next morning. Philadelphia is a much easier two hour trip for me than DC is for reasons I don't feel obligated to get into here. I've always had to travel to see Wilco and gladly do so when it's feasible. I'd like to see them in a city that, by the time the tour happens, they won't have played for a few months shy of six years. If that makes me entitled, or not as hardcore of a fan as others, or whatever, so be it. 

This skipping Philly thing is strange.  I get that there are lots of cities in this country with Wilco fans (heck, the world), and no band can realistically cover the entire continental U.S., but they are frequently in the northeast to mid-atlantic, and to repeatedly skip a major metro area like Philly is strange.  There must be a reason.  Like when they weren't playing songs from W(TA), that was noticeable and strange, and turns out there was a reason.  Maybe they don't like the promoter in Philly?  I read somewhere that last time Pat got hit with a D battery. Ouch!  Could that be the reason?

Fewer than 10 people. Which was surprising to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What time did you arrive / do you think most of the 10 got Tickets? I can't see The Orpheum box office moving at lightning speed due to their setup. I went to MMJ. Onsale and wound up in lower Balc 5 mins after on sale began.

What time did you arrive / do you think most of the 10 got Tickets? I can't see The Orpheum box office moving at lightning speed due to their setup. I went to MMJ. Onsale and wound up in lower Balc 5 mins after on sale began.

The seat selection had little to do with place in line.  I was second in line, I first pulled a pair in Orch. Row E, seats 2 and 4.  Those are all the way to the right.  After getting those two, I asked for another pair, they would have been obstructed view.  I passed.  My friend 5 people behind in line pulled a pair 5th row right center.  That annoyed the heck out of me.

It's a little strange how slowly tickets are selling in Atlanta.  I got two seats in the front row of the balcony and I didn't buy my tickets until an hour after general on-sale started.  I would have thought all the front of balcony tickets would be the first to go, since the balcony is the only reserved seating.

I blame Shaky Knees. 

Sorry, but no matter how you prefaced this post, it was clearly directed at me.

I can definitely see how it would seem that way, since yours was the post just before mine, but I promise it wasn't directed at you. It's just that the whole issue is sort of a pet peeve of mine, and your post brought it to the fore. I'm sorry if I sounded abrasive.

This skipping Philly thing is strange.  I get that there are lots of cities in this country with Wilco fans (heck, the world), and no band can realistically cover the entire continental U.S., but they are frequently in the northeast to mid-atlantic, and to repeatedly skip a major metro area like Philly is strange.  There must be a reason.  Like when they weren't playing songs from W(TA), that was noticeable and strange, and turns out there was a reason.  Maybe they don't like the promoter in Philly?  I read somewhere that last time Pat got hit with a D battery. Ouch!  Could that be the reason?

Really? Do tell! I'm not familiar with this story.

Really? Do tell! I'm not familiar with this story.

Why not go to the cities you like best? If your sister lives nearby, then play there. Makes complete sense to me. When I travel (for business or for fun), I often make decisions based on whether I like the city or not. A conference in San Francisco? Sounds much better than Oklahoma City to me (sorry, OK City fans). A meeting in Charlotte? I'll make that one since I have a brother who lives nearby.

If a band likes a certain city's vibe, like a Portland, or a certain venue, like the Cap, then play there. I'd pick the places I'd like to go to, if I was in this rock 'n roll business. That said, I'd be bummed if I lived in the Philly area. But overall, I want them to play where they want to play.