In for September 2nd and 3rd in Seattle. I got decent seats both nights but probably not the ones I would have wanted, but I don't know how in demand Wilco would be in a venue like that so I took what I could get. 

If anyone has some advice for the city, it'll be my first time in the US, let me know! 

What would you like to know?

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are hotels in San Francisco normally this pricey? Might have made a mistake booking the 5 show ticket...

Anyone have any advice on the area (or want to let me crash on their couch? ;))

I would certainly check out airbnb. That's what I do for almost all of my music travel. Luckily I have a niece who lives in SF, but I was looking into airbnb alternatives in case her place was not available and I saw several reasonable options.

What would you like to know?

Well I was originally worried about where to stay, but the wife just discovered there's a decent hotel right next to the Moore Theatre, so that takes care of that.

How's driving downtown? How's the Moore Theatre area at night? Best record stores? Is the EMP Museum worth visiting? 

HEY WILCO!!! How about a residency in the NYC area?

Like The Allman Brothers & now Tedeschi-Trucks Band does at The Beacon... or wherever... just give us east coasters a shot at a 5 night run sometime!!!

They did do a 3 night "Evening With" run at the Cap in October '14 (or was it '13?). I drove down for the second night.

But I'm all for another run like that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are hotels in San Francisco normally this pricey? Might have made a mistake booking the 5 show ticket...

I've stayed at the Majestic for Fillmore shows. http://www.thehotelmajestic.com/default-en.html   It was decent but worn the last time I stayed there in 2010, but it looks like they renovated and the price is higher than it used to be, still not too bad.  Good location for the Fillmore.  Hotels all over the country have gotten shockingly pricey in the last few years, it seems to me.

I'm gonna try AirBnB for the first time when I go to Austin, TX in the fall.  Does seem to be a lot cheaper than nice hotels.

Well I was originally worried about where to stay, but the wife just discovered there's a decent hotel right next to the Moore Theatre, so that takes care of that.

How's driving downtown? How's the Moore Theatre area at night? Best record stores? Is the EMP Museum worth visiting? 

The Palladian? I just stayed there a week ago when I went to see Andrew Bird. It's a really nice hotel. Bumbershoot (music and arts festival) will be on Labour Day weekend so you might want to check that out. I'm flying down for the 2 Wilco shows from Vancouver - see you there!

PS regarding the neighbourhood...it felt pretty safe to me. I walked back from The Showbox (Pike Place Market area) to the hotel around 11pm and it was fine.

The Palladian? I just stayed there a week ago when I went to see Andrew Bird. It's a really nice hotel. Bumbershoot (music and arts festival) will be on Labour Day weekend so you might want to check that out. I'm flying down for the 2 Wilco shows from Vancouver - see you there!

PS regarding the neighbourhood...it felt pretty safe to me. I walked back from The Showbox (Pike Place Market area) to the hotel around 11pm and it was fine.

Nice, another BC'er! We're driving down from Prince George, but we'll drive half way on Thursday evening so it shouldn't be too bad. We're staying at the Moore Hotel which was really affordable and sounds like it's not a dive, which was my big concern, it's just lacking some amenities. But we'll be able to leave the hotel and walk 20 feet and be at the venue, which is a-ok with me. We went to Vancouver in March to see Joanna Newsom which was suppose to be our big trip of the year, but I just can't resist two nights of Wilco!

Thanks I haven't heard of Bumbershoot, I'll do some research!

Definitely try Airbnb as others have suggested. Hotels in SF are ridiculous but my wife and I have always been able to find something for less than $100 a night on Airbnb.

Like knotgreen, I still want to know if they are gonna do Star Wars every night in LA and SF. I sure hope they don't, but they did it at all the two-night stands earlier this year and last year, I think. Not knowing that Is what kept us for going for all three LA shows. If they do Star Wars every night I definitely do not want to hear it three nights in a row. Two nights in a row is pushing it, but I could deal with that if I had to.

Since they already did Star Wars out here on the west coast, I'd imagine we will get something different this time around but it's hard to predict. Last year when I bought tickets to the show at The Greek, I was expecting to get the show format they had been doing with the rare, lesser played songs from rarities compilation that had come out. Then they released Star Wsrs unexpectedly and we got that show, so really who knows what we'll get.

The hotels are always pricier than normal in September and October because there are huge conventions in SF those months. There's a 16000 person convention that overlaps with these shows. Prices might drop at the last minute if rooms are unsold so, whatever you book, it's best to book something with a flexible cancellation policy. You might be able to get a better deal the week before. As others have mentioned, there are tons of Airbnbs here. Neighborhoods can change pretty quickly so if you have any questions about a place you're considering I'm happy to answer them. 

Sorry haven't responded. Been on the run getting ready for a roadtrip today. Going to Portland to see the Cure tonight. I will post some thoughts tomorrow. PS: They call me the warrior poet at work for my sometimes scathing (if you read between the lines) emails. I get results though, haha!

Sorry took so long to get back to you. Was recovering yesterday as I didn't get home until 2:30AM after a very intense Cure show & 5 hours roundtrip of driving. Let me address your quesions. The Moore Hotel is very old, like the theater. I hear it is well kept up though. The area around the Moore can be a problem late at night. Use common sense & don't go wandering around in the dark without people around. Downtown can be deserted late & we have a huge homeless problem. A lot of them seem to congregrate in that area. Driving in downtown Seattle is a nightmare as we have become very unfriendly to cars. There is a huge amount of construction going on. You should be ok on the holiday weekend though. 

Record stores are becoming rare. Probably the best left standing is Easy Street in West Seattle. It's about a 20 minute drive from downtown. I live in that area & its nice. There is a good cafe attached & I have breakfast there on the weekends. Silver Platters is south of the stadiums & is huge but sterile. They have a big used vinyl section though. 

The EMP is pretty cool but access/parking will be tricky that weekend. Its on the grounds of the Seattle Center & that is the home for the Bumbershoot Festival. Bumbershoot used to be free & cool but national promoters have taken over. It's lost some charm & is very expensive. You pay for access to the grounds & you can be shut out of the bigger shows when they reach capacity. That's after standing line for a long time. The smaller stages aren't a problem. 

Other things going on that weekend: Dave Matthews is playing at the Gorge. Its a 2.5 hour drive over the mountains east of Seattle. Not my thing but some people like him. The other show I'm going to that weekend is on Monday (the holiday). Ray LaMontagne with My Morning Jacket (minus Jim James) as his backup band is playing at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery. Its in Woodinville, a suburb. Very nice place to see a show. It's sold out but you could get a ticket from a broker. I recommend Epic Seats if you're interested.

If you want more info, I'm happy to help you out. Just let me know. I know I've painted a somewhat negative picture in some ways but I'm just being honest. I've lived in Seattle most of my life & its going through some big changes, a lot not for the better. We're kind of turning into a smaller version of San Francisco. Good in a lot of ways but not so much in a lot of others. You will enjoy the Moore. It's very old & small. Was restored with Microsoft money, like the its big brother the Paramount Theater. I'm only going to the first night due to budget & energy issues. I did score front row on the presale though! Pretty excited.

Thanks for getting back to me! That's all good info. Easy Street is now on my list. I've actually heard of Silver Platters before and Zion's Gate which I also want to check out. A little sterile is fine for me, our only record store closed down a few years ago so any time I'm actually in a real record store now it's a pretty big deal.

There's some of the artists playing at Bumbershoot that I definitely would have wanted to check out, Andrew Bird, Margo Price, Father John Misty, but the 3 day passes are pricy, that's pretty disappointing if it use to be free. 

We'll drive home on Sunday morning, hopefully the roads won't be too busy since it's the middle of the long weekend. :nailbite

Thanks for getting back to me! That's all good info. Easy Street is now on my list. I've actually heard of Silver Platters before and Zion's Gate which I also want to check out. A little sterile is fine for me, our only record store closed down a few years ago so any time I'm actually in a real record store now it's a pretty big deal.

There's some of the artists playing at Bumbershoot that I definitely would have wanted to check out, Andrew Bird, Margo Price, Father John Misty, but the 3 day passes are pricy, that's pretty disappointing if it use to be free. 

We'll drive home on Sunday morning, hopefully the roads won't be too busy since it's the middle of the long weekend. :nailbite

They will put single day tickets in the near future. It's about $100 a day. Also, I haven't seen a list of who is playing on what day/venue yet. I luv me some Tame Impala but I'm probably not going to deal with it. Interesting artist on the list: Chevy Metal. It's Taylor from the Foo Fighters 70's butt rock band. Dave Grohl plays with them often. Shhhh!

Finally I got some decent seats (way off to Nels' side though) for Sat. in Seattle.   :D

That was a fun ticket buying process!  :D

Excited to see you in a few months! 

Is Easy Street records the place with the Mother Love Bone mural (which Jeff Ament just painted again)? I definitely want to see that. 

Re the EMP Museum, we definitely plan on visiting that and the Chilhuhly (Sp?) glass museum. My brother and his family visited Seattle a couple of summers ago and highly recommended both of those. 

That was a fun ticket buying process!  :D

Excited to see you in a few months! 

Is Easy Street records the place with the Mother Love Bone mural (which Jeff Ament just painted again)? I definitely want to see that. 

Yes, that is where the mural is. Also, the record store day Sonics release was recorded there. & Pearl Jam a few years ago. Ocassionally, you can spot Eddie Vedder there & I've seen Duff McKagan, too. The store goes back a long time. The owner Matt's dad started it long time ago on the eastside of Seattle. He (dad) also managed Queensryche in the beginning. Originally, the store in West Seattle was called Penny Lane & that's where I went when I was a kid. Matt bought it & changed the name to Easy Street. It is a West Seattle institution. West Seattle is a neighborhood across Elliott Bay from downtown. Easily reachable from downtown. I've lived here (except for a few years in LA) most of my life. Not a bad spot. You're in the city & close to everything but there's a nice separation. If you go to Easy Street, recommend the cafe for breakfast. They do lunch, too. Good food, nice waitresses & good prices. No, I'm not a shill for them, haha.  Not a lot of record stores left standing & this one is still pretty good.

Re the EMP Museum, we definitely plan on visiting that and the Chilhuhly (Sp?) glass museum. My brother and his family visited Seattle a couple of summers ago and highly recommended both of those. 

I would check with the Chilihuhly museum regarding access during Bumbershoot. It too is on the grounds of the Seattle Center & Bumbershoot is spread over the whole thing. The EMP may have access though as they have an entrance on the street outside of the Seattle Center. There will be big crowds.

I would check with the Chilihuhly museum regarding access during Bumbershoot. It too is on the grounds of the Seattle Center & Bumbershoot is spread over the whole thing. The EMP may have access though as they have an entrance on the street outside of the Seattle Center. There will be big crowds.

Thanks for the heads up! I emailed Chihuly and received this response:

Good Morning Jen,

Thank you for contacting Chihuly Garden and Glass. We look forward to your visit over Labor Day. In the past we have been fully open over the holiday weekend. Our calendar is not solidified until 30 days in advance, but I would guess we will be fully open. I would recommend checking back in the beginning of August to confirm.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call directly at 206.753.4929

Best Wishes,

Ramsay Riddell

So, they're more than likely open but will be busy, sounds like.  We were planning on getting the City Pass, so I hope so!

Yes, that is where the mural is. Also, the record store day Sonics release was recorded there. & Pearl Jam a few years ago. Ocassionally, you can spot Eddie Vedder there & I've seen Duff McKagan, too. The store goes back a long time. The owner Matt's dad started it long time ago on the eastside of Seattle. He (dad) also managed Queensryche in the beginning. Originally, the store in West Seattle was called Penny Lane & that's where I went when I was a kid. Matt bought it & changed the name to Easy Street. It is a West Seattle institution. West Seattle is a neighborhood across Elliott Bay from downtown. Easily reachable from downtown. I've lived here (except for a few years in LA) most of my life. Not a bad spot. You're in the city & close to everything but there's a nice separation. If you go to Easy Street, recommend the cafe for breakfast. They do lunch, too. Good food, nice waitresses & good prices. No, I'm not a shill for them, haha.  Not a lot of record stores left standing & this one is still pretty good.

Thanks for the info! I really hope to get over to that side of Seattle when I'm there as I love visiting record stores. Grimey's in Nashville is a fun place, too. As for seeing any rock stars, one can dream! 

Thanks for the info! I really hope to get over to that side of Seattle when I'm there as I love visiting record stores. Grimey's in Nashville is a fun place, too. As for seeing any rock stars, one can dream! 

Eddie actually has to drive by my kitchen to get to his house. He lives about 3 blocks down the hill with only 1 road in. I have a nodding acquaintance from my years in the music biz in town. We don't bug him. PS: I'm happy to be a resource in Seattle for any of you folks visiting from out of town. Night of the 1st show not sure what my plans are as its a work day & need to work out logistics with my friend. We kind of live at opposite ends of the Seattle metro area & it can get a bit tricky with the commute. I may end up going night 2 but will wait & see. The budget would only take 1 show when the tickets went on sale. I've seen Wilco several times going way back & as I hit the jackpot on the presale I may be happy with just doing Friday night. We shall see. I have a lot of shows at the end of August, start of September. Jeff Beck, GBV, Ray LaMontagne & Wilco. I'm probably forgetting someone. Good music summer in the area. I'm still recovering from seeing the Cure twice in the last few weeks. They were my bucket list band & they exceeded expectations by far. I got 2 very different show with at least a third of the set being different songs. I think it was 66 performances, 45 different titles. They were amazing!

I have a 3 day pass to Bumbershoot but I am thinking of trying to unload it ($165 US if you're interested).  The lineup is weak compared to other times that I've gone to the festival. One year I saw Bob Mould, the Breeders, Superchunk, Redd Kross and the Men all in one day! This year's lineup is geared more towards teenagers...or maybe I'm just getting old.  

Anyway, when I visit Seattle I always check out (and would recommend you do to) Easy Street, EMP, La Carta de Oaxaca (Mexican restaurant in Ballard), Sonic Boom Records (up in Ballard near La Carta), Archie McPhee and The Beer Junction (near Easy Street in West Seattle).  

Mariners are in the middle of a homestand the same weekend and I would recommend checking a game out if you're into baseball. The ballpark is fantastic. Friday and Saturday games are at night but they play in the afternoon on Sunday and Monday.

As for safety...the only time I've felt unsafe in Seattle was when I was wandering around the infamous intersection of Pine and 3rd alone at night trying to find a corner store.

I have a 3 day pass to Bumbershoot but I am thinking of trying to unload it ($165 US if you're interested).  The lineup is weak compared to other times that I've gone to the festival. One year I saw Bob Mould, the Breeders, Superchunk, Redd Kross and the Men all in one day! This year's lineup is geared more towards teenagers...or maybe I'm just getting old.  

Anyway, when I visit Seattle I always check out (and would recommend you do to) Easy Street, EMP, La Carta de Oaxaca (Mexican restaurant in Ballard), Sonic Boom Records (up in Ballard near La Carta), Archie McPhee and The Beer Junction (near Easy Street in West Seattle).  

Mariners are in the middle of a homestand the same weekend and I would recommend checking a game out if you're into baseball. The ballpark is fantastic. Friday and Saturday games are at night but they play in the afternoon on Sunday and Monday. 

As for safety...the only time I've felt unsafe in Seattle was when I was wandering around the infamous intersection of Pine and 3rd alone at night trying to find a corner store.

That was the last year I went to Bumbershoot, also. I saw the Breeders, Bob Mould, Eric Burdon & the Zombies (excellent) that day. I'm probably not going this year but if Tame Impala & Chevy Metal play the same day, I'd be tempted if its not on the day of Wilco or Ray LaMontagne. I didn't include Sonic Boom because they are in the midst of changing hands & I don't what the situation is. Usually when selling a store, inventory gets a bit iffy. Closer to the time, I'll post about some concerts & restaurants. As far as the safety, I was just giving a head's up. Since Cowboy Poet is staying at the Moore Hotel, he's kind of in the nexus between 3rd & Pike & Belltown. Awareness is good. I'd recommed the Ms, too, if into baseball. We may be in the heat of a pennant race at that point. Peter King on MMQB mentioned going to Ms game & walking back to hotel at night on Occidental last year. The comment was regarding the aggressive panhandling & lack of police. It has gotten worse in recent years. We don't want out of town Wilco fans to have any sort of bad experience!