LouieB on the Radio - All shows

Not sure who that is.  I will play a smattering of alt-country, blues, jazz, some local musicians, people who played town recently (Marah, Steely Dan, Jayhwks),  sout, and some crazy singles.  That should be relatively entertaining. Tune in for the goofy stuff I'll say, the miscues, and perhaps for something you have or have not heard before.

lLouieB

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving aside all politics (which I am sick of frankly) to play more music.  You know the drill, WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago.  Got two shows this weekend depending on your interests.  Classical and Beyond is Saturday at 1-4 PM central time. This is part one of a three part series on the music of Kurt Weill.  We have been preparing for weeks for these and this weekend is concert/ballet music from Kurt including two symphonies, a violin concerto, The Seven Sins (a ballet with songs from Brecht and we are playing parts of three different versions with Lotte Leyna, Uta Lemper, and Anne Sofie Von Otter), and Mahagony SongSpeil.   Believe it or not this is all interesting stuff.

Then on Sunday I am subbing in for Jazz Impressions at 5-7 PM central time with a wide variety of music including Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Ethyl Waters, Mark Ribot, Dave Douglas, Dave Rempis, Joe McPhee, and Clifford Brown/Max Roach.  Something for everyone on this show.  

Use TuneIn to listen or the website.  Going to be fun all around.

Thanks.

LouieB

Any interest in this stuff:

Dust On The Nettles: A Journey Through The British Underground Folk Scene 1967-72

Disc One

1. LET NO MAN STEAL YOUR THYME – The Pentangle 
2. WILLOW’S SONG (FROM THE WICKER MAN) - Magnet 
3. COME ALL YOU TRAVELLERS - Wight 
4. LOVE IS A FUNNY THING - Spirogyra 
5. IMAGES OF PASSING CLOUDS – Gary Farr 
6. PEEK STRANGELY AND WORRIED EVENING - Synanthesia 
7. GLASS OF WATER – Bob & Carole Pegg 
8. WINTER IS BLUE – Vashti Bunyan 
9. WINTER IS A COLOURED BIRD - Comus 
10. THE SEAGULLS SCREAM – Chrissie Quayle 
11. STORIES OF JESUS – Clive Palmer 
12. AMANDA - Steve Peregrin Took’s Shagrat 
13. CURIOUS CRYSTALS OF UNUSUAL PURITY - Bridget St. John 
14. ROSES FOR COLUMBUS – Mark Fry 
15. TILL THE MORNING COMES – Dando Shaft 
16. BLACK GIRL – Mary-Anne 
17. THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY - Trees 
18. WEIRDSONG OF BREAKING THROUGH AT LAST - Principal Edwards Magic Theatre 
19. MINAS TIRITH – Oberon 
20. PRISONERS, VICTIMS, STRANGERS, FRIENDS – Paper Bubble 

Disc Two
1. PILGRIM – Gerald Moore
2. RIVER LANE – Melton Constable 
3. WAY OUT HERMIT - Moonkyte
4. ALL THINGS ARE QUITE SILENT – Steeleye Span
5. UPON REFLECTION - Heron
6. LOVE IS COME AGAIN - Parchment
7. STARGAZER – Shelagh McDonald
8. THERE ARE NO GREATER HEROES - Tony Caro & John 
9. VISIONARY MOUNTAINS – Joan Armatrading 
10. GLOW OF THE FIRELIGHT - Tuesday
11. SEARCHING FOR LAMBS – Warm Gold
12. SAMANTHA CAROL FRAGMENTS - Benjamin Delaney Lion
13. FOTHERINGAY – Fairport Convention
14. YOU KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE – Frozen Tear
15. MEANWHILE BACK IN THE FOREST - Hunt Lunt & Cunningham
16. FIRST GIRL I LOVED - The Incredible String Band 
17. HALFDAN’S DAUGHTER – The Moths
18. THE MUTANT – Trader Horne
19. MEETING BY THE MOONLIGHT MILL – Dry Heart
20. HIGHWAYS (MISTY MIST) - Tyrannosaurus Rex
21. GABILAN – Duncan Browne 
22. SAND ALL YELLOW – Kevin Coyne

Disc Three
1. GARDEN SONG – Bill Fay 
2. MUSIC OF THE AGES - C.O.B. 
3. A SONG FOR THE SYSTEM – Everyone Involved
4. THE COLOUR IS BLUE – Country Sun
5. SILENT VILLAGE – Wild Country
6. WELCOME TO THE CITADEL – Marc Brierley 
7. THE EVIL VENUS TREE - The Occasional Word
8. STANDING ON THE SHORE – Anne Briggs
9. KIND SIR - Agincourt
10. EAGLE – Mick Softly 
11. ROSEMARY HILL – Fresh Maggots
12. THE HAPPY KING – Music Box
13. ME AND MY KITE - Fuchsia
14. WIZARD SHEP - The Sun Also Rises 
15. SCARBOROUGH FAIR – Folkal Point
16. PRISONER – Marie Celeste
17. PATRICE – Simon Finn
18. GIRL OF THE COSMOS – Shide & Acorn
19. ELEGY TO A DEAD KING - Chimera
20. SILENCE RETURNS - Beau 
21. ORANGE DAYS AND PURPLE NIGHTS – Mother Nature

Yes, sure. Is this a comp I can order?  You know me, Mr. Compulsive.  Check me out this weekend anyway. I have played material from that period, but these are obscurities that look cool.  Okay  yea, I ordered it. Will play some in future midday shows. Thanks for the suggestion.

LouieB

Well I bought it and it was cheap.  Will play it on a future program.

In the meantime I am putting together tomorrow's Midday show if anyone has a request.  I will do some songs that were covered by the Flat Five (Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor) the other night, plus singer/songwriters (PF Sloan, Jimmy Webb, Fred Neil, Nillson), honky tonk country, chamber jazz, Pere Ubu, Talking Heads, Funkadelic.   Tune in Tuesday at noon central time at the usual place WNUR,org to join the fun..

LouieB

So tomorrow June 28, at 12-2 PM central time I am playing a bunch of stuff that may be interesting to folks here.  You know the drill WNUR.org or 89..3 FM in Chicago.  It just so happens a non-VCer asked for Uncle Tupelo, so I am naturally going to go with that request and  play several songs right after noon.  Also I am doing Kris Kristopherson (his birthday), the Stanley Brothers and Bernie Worrel (passing on), Jimmy Webb, Tom Robinson Band (for Pride weekend), Nels and Julian, Brad Mehldau doing God Only Knows, and some crazy singles if I have time.  Opening with a long version of John Hartford doing Gentle on my Mind.  Tune in if you can and I will take requests for next week if you want.  Should be an okay way to spend your lunch hour.  

LouieB

Yea, good one. Will try and work that in sometime. This week the stream should be working so tune in.

In fact sure, I will play that and some of the other material we talked about. Heck I can do an entire British folk/rock/blues show, I mean what the heck. Look for that in a couple weeks.  

LouieB

Rolling along.  This Saturday, July 2, at 1-4 PM central time we are doing Classical and Beyond. This week is show 2 on Kurt Weill (the original, not the rock guy) with an overview of his shows and operas.  We will be playing excerpts from many of his workings including The Three Penny Opera, Happy End, Mahagony, Johnny Johnson, Knickerbocker Holiday, and many more.  Weill is a major composer from the first half of the 20th century (he died in 1950), but his songs are still widely covered. We will be doing covers of his songs next time, but this is a good opportunity to hear the songs  and music within the context of the shows themselves, both in German and English.  You will discover music that goes well beyond Mack the Knife, although we will play that too.  Thanks.

LouieB

Because R&B Flashback is gone, I am starting a new thread so if there is anyone interested in checking out my radio shows I will post the info here. 

I am doing a free form show I am calling the Sunday Afternoon Mixtape Show this Sunday at 4 PM Central (until 5:30 PM) on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM on the north side of Chicago. I am going to sneak in a Wilco song as well as new Bottle Rockets, Yo La Tengo, Jesse Malin, some things from or about the Band, Errol Garner, Miles Davis, Roscoe Mitchell, maybe some acoustic guitar, crazy 45s, and who knows what else as the time allows. The set list is not yet set. This should be very fun.  This show should be on the third Sunday of each month. 

I may be subbing for the blues show and hopefully getting back on the classical and beyond after college football subsides.  As I approach retirement (yea I am that fucking old) I will be doing more of these shows on WNUR (hopefully sub in for some jazz during the week) and maybe someday get on CHIRP (another Chicago station). 

I'll be happy to take requests (if I have the artist) for November's show.

LouieB

Have you played "When atheists start to pray?" or "Turn up the mains" from his recent albums?

If I happen to be around the computer I will catch it. You know St. Genevieve once mentioned me on her radio show.

Wow, long time ago. I'll mention you too if I know you are listening.  Or even not. Shout out this Tuesday.

Have you played "When atheists start to pray?" or "Turn up the mains" from his recent albums?

I'll play it. I don't think I played them (I played others) but the suggestions is appreciated and I will do it this week. 

LouieB

Since I may not be back before my show Tuesday July 5, 2016 at 12 - 2 PM WNUR.org I guess I will flog it now, since my set list is done.  So let't see; playing the Stanley Brothers for the passing of Ralph Stanley, playing some Scotty Moore and Rob Wasserman since they passed too, 3 cuts from Freak-Out by Zappy since it has been 50 years, crazy early American music for 4th of July including Sousa, Scott Joplin, Noble Sissel and Eubie Blake, Jesse Malin (by request), band new jazz by Dave Rempis  as well as  Vijay Iyer and Wadada Leo Smith, plus a handful of crazy singles.  Should be fun and you can count the miscues.  

LouieB