LouieB on the Radio - All shows

Back at you again today July 12 at 12-2 PM Central time on WNUR.org or 89.3

I got requests and I'm dipping back into Zappa (saw the movie), Bowie (by request), new music from case,lang, viers, as well as brand new music from Lydia Loveless and pretty new music from White Mystery.  Also it's the 37th anniversary of Disco Demolition so I unearthed a few favorite (???!!?!) disco songs (tune in to find out what on earth I actually like), jazz from Stan Getz and Gil Evans, and maybe the Banditos doing Put a Spell on You.  

This is going to be a load of fun including some surprises of different sorts (spoken word and modern classical). 

LouieB

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to lighten everyone's loads in this dark hour, I am taking back to the airwaves (WNUR.org 89.3 and TuneIn) on July 19 at 12-2 PM central time; I will do my best to make you forget the world's troubles. This week I have invited in my record selling buddy Carter to help me spin crazy 45s for two straight hours. We have collected the "cream " of the vinyl detritus and will play lots of crazy material you have never heard before and may never want to hear again. This is going to be some raucous fun with little or unknown artists from the soul, funk, rockabilly, pop, novelty, and other genres.  If you like the crazy and bizarre this will be your show. Thanks in advance for listening tomorrow. It will be way more fun than working, I promise.

LouieB

Saturday July 23rd at 1-4 PM is the third and last part (I think) of the Kurt Weill retrospective.  You know where WNUR.org  or TuneIn or 89.3  

This is going to be the songs of Weill sung b the likes of Maryanne Faithful, Maria Stratta , Ute Lemper, Lotte Lenya, Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Boz Scaggs, and others. It's going to be a great time. Please join us. Thanks.

(Has there ever been a better time for music from the pre and post WWII era?)

LouieB

Tuesday July 26 12-2 PM CT on WNUR.org or TuneIn....Lots of alt.country, no depression, insurgent country this week. Making it easy on myself and everyone else.  Jayhawks, UT, Joe Henry, Neko Case, DBT, Robbie Fulks, Jon Langford, Old 97s, Golden Smog,  lots of other folks you all know.  Since I have only two hours someone's faves will be left out. So feel free to give requests for next time.

LouieB

Back on this Saturday July 30 at 7-9 AM Central for an  early Mixtape Show.  This one is with my record collecting friend Chris Perry and he has a great list to play including Bowie, Prince, Laura Nyro, Beach Boys and a bunch of other stuff that's newer and further out.  Check out out.  WNUR.org or TuneIn.  

LouieB

OH crap I forgot to mention my Tuesday show.  It was fun.  Will post up again next week. Also there is a Classical show this Saturday at 1-4 PM.  Dimitri Shoshtakovich anyone?

LouieB

Okay back on track.  Maybe Shoshtakovich wasn't for everyone but this Tuesday August j9, should have something for everyone.  

I am doing three hours starting at 11 AM to 2 PM on WNUR.org, TuneIn or 89.3 in Chicago.  The first hour will be all jazz because that is usually what the station plays during the morning.  The jazz segment will have Keith Jarrett, Fred Anderson, two versions of Cherokee including the original by Charlie Barnett and the new one by Kamasi Washington, Dylan tunes done jazz style, and some odds and ends. The two hours of the MIdday Mixtape will include Robyn Hitchcock, The Highwaymen, Mother Earth, sensitive female singers, Brazilian music (for the Olympics), more Numero singles, and Chicago rock group Twin Peaks.  

Join me for some of this won't you?  And I do take requests from listeners for the following week.  Thanks.

LouieB

Here is a one off. I am joining Rosie (formerly TweedysGurl) on her show, the Devil's Radio August 11, 2016 on WDBX.org at 10-12 PM Central with a family show (all my immediate family playing stuff and talking about a trip some of them just took down south.)  If you want to hear Rosie and I together again after a long break tune us in. Lots of blues and country and other stuff I do believe.  

LouieB

That's right, tomorrow is Tuesday. so I am back on the air at 11 AM Central August 16 to play an hour of jazz and 12-2 Central for the Midday Mixtape show.  WNUR.org or TuneIn as usual. The jazz segment will include Charlie Hayden, Joseph Jarman, John Carter, Clifford Brown, Meade Lux Lewis, among others.  The Mixtape will include a healthy half to 3/4 of an hour of Brazilian music (Jobim, the Gilbertos, Tom Ze, Os Mutantes, Nascimento, and others)  and then the majority of the rest will be live cuts from folks you all know (Harrison, Dylan, the Clash, Wilco, The Beach Boys, Ray Charles, The Band) and a few folks you know but wish you had forgotten about.  All this because summer is festival season.  As always it should be fun so give me a listen.

LouieB

Hey all, Tomorrow is Tuesday again and i will be in my usual slot at 12-2 for the Mixtape show and 11-12 for an hour of jazz.  WNUR.org.  I will try and make it entertaining.  This week I am doing a set of Shel Silverstein songs, some soul, some songs about the devil, some fun odds and ends, and a hunk of poetry by myself, a friend and Jack Kerouac.  Not sure what is on the jazz segment yet, but it will be okay.  Thanks in advance for tuning in.  

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I missed posting a week. 

This week I am  on  Tuesday September  6, 12-2 PM Central time on WNUR.org with a bunch of crazy odds and ends, lots of labor songs (Guthrie, Seeger,Phillips, Elliot, Ochs, and many others), some jazz (Coleman and Evans), some rockabilly, Allen Ginsburg with and without music and a few surprises (the Tim Hardin and Okkerville River versions of Black Sheep Boy for the heck of it.)  As always it is going to be fun.  

Give me a listen if you have time. Thanks.

LouieB

Bringing new and old to the Midday Mixtape show for September 13, 2016 at 12-2 PM Central Time on WNUR.org, 89.3 FM, or TuneIn. This week I will be featuring new Wilco, Dgeneration, Nels Cline, and Erwin Helfer along with a guest set from Lane Campbell playing Westerberg, Chilton, and Easton among others. Mixed in with Helfer will be early piano blues and boogie and also getting back to gospel from the Designer label that I was unable to play a couple weeks ago. There will be a segment on artists before or after they became famous. (Floyd, Kristofferson, etc.) Expect a few unusual cuts too.

I will be hosting Jazz Impressions on Sunday, September 18 this week. More on this later. Requests?

Time for a Jazz Impressions one off slot this Sunday September 18 at 5-7 PM central time on WNUR.org, TuneIn and 89.3.  This week for this show I am playing some of the Cleveland sax players (Lovano and Ayler), Chet Baker (by request), more Nels Cline Lovers, Django Reinhart, Ralph Towner, jazz from the 20s and 30s, and Ellington fro 44-46 (Strayhorn period). Forget the politics and come enjoy some jazz on a summer Sunday late afternoon. Thanks.

LouieB

Still sick of politics?  Tune me in this Tuesday September 20 at 12-2 PM central on WNUR.org or 89.3 or TuneIn.  Once again doing the Midday Mixtape with plenty to attract the VC crowd.  Let's see, more Wilco, DGeneration, William Tyler, Brinsley Schwarz, Mike Bloomfield, Duke Ellington, Morrissey, The Decendents, Bob Dylan, early jazz, Terry Riley, and the Mekons, among some other stuff.  This will be a regular show now on Tuesdays so if you miss this one, tune in next week, but you shouldn't be disappointed this week if you catch me.

LouieB

Slightly earlier warning this week. Try www.wnur.org or TuneIn.  This week will be fun as usual.  Going to feature Nick Cave, Duke Ellington (with Billy Strayhorn), MIles Davis in Berlin, forgotten Chicago bands (Pulsars, Seam, The Dials, Veruca Salt), soul records, The Beats (the big three), plus Roy Acuff, Nina Simone, and King Curtis, plus who knows what.  

Come on, you know you want to listen Tuesday October 4, at about 12:15 PM central time (news first not by me but by NU students.)  

LouieB

Going to be a good one today -  New Drive By Truckers, Beach Slang, Two Cow Garage, Tim Buckley and Tim Harden, Von Freeman, old country music, and assorted other fun stuff including both versions of Racist Friend.  Join me on  www.wnur.org or Tunein at 12-2 PM Tuesday October 11.  

LouieB

Okay there is a Midday mixtape show (see above for the address etc.) at 12 PM central. I will not be on next week as I am taking a vacation which includes videoing Beach Slang, so this week let's see: Dylan, Cohen, Beach Slang, Flat Five, Yo La Tengo, old time american country music (1920s and 30s), George Gershwin, Cal Tjader, and assorted other fun stuff.  Check me out this week.  

LouieB

Here's my latest thing to play if I had a show:

Sunset Love - Winter's Day

Sunset Love ‎– The History Of Texas Garage Bands In The '60s Volume 6: Psychedelic Flower Power With Sunset Love

1  Change           

2  Hippie              

3  Run To The Sun           

4  Reach Out      

5  Tribute To Kay              

6  Winters Day  

7  Little Children               

8  Innocence Dies Young On Our Street

9  Man In The Park          

10  Father Paul

11  World Of Pain            

12  Sunset Love                

13  Wheels         

14  Push, Push

That looks good, but since I haven't yet played your last two suggestions yet (but will), and don't own this (feel free to send me a copy), you will have to be content with the crazy stuff I play today October 25th at 12-2 on CT. Will get on one of your requests today. Listen at noon -1 your time I think for Chicken Shack.

LouieB

Well tune in today. Chicken Shake is leading off the show.  Will give you a shout out.   

For this ramshackle show today (just got back from a trip last night), I am throwing together some gospel, Flat Five, Sarah Vaughn, Blodwyn Pig, Yo La Tengo, Tortoise, Nick Lowe, Joe Strummer, Bruce, Ministry, Andrew Hill, and a bunch of other crazy stuff.  It's going to be a big hot mess.  .   

LouieB

I really liked your suggestion. Will play it again sometime and did give you a shout out.  The news is a mixed blessing. I have no idea where they are from, but they always show up just a few minutes late, which is irritating.

LouieB