LouieB on the Radio - All shows

I was listening with my eyes closed. Which made me notice how the one young lady was saying the word "day". I am thinking Chicago born.

Oh - if you really want to play a song most people have never heard - check out Wrong Side of The River (Mott The Hoople).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening with my eyes closed. Which made me notice how the one young lady was saying the word "day". I am thinking Chicago born.

Oh - if you really want to play a song most people have never heard - check out Wrong Side of The River (Mott The Hoople).

Which song was that?  It is really hard to listen to the actual music when you are doing radio, I have to cue records, log them, think of things to say, and not panic when equipment doesn't work as planned.  Just curious.  

Can look for the Mott Song sometime.  This week is too full.

LouieB

So I am back on tomorrow with a really really fun show and a guest.  You know the drill 12-2 PM central although news is at noon.  www.wnur.org or Tunein.  

So this week I am playing Jeff Tweedy singing a Carl Sandburg Chicago poem Theme in Yellow.  But beyond that I am doing more of the Chicago Poem CD from David Nagler, not yet released Jon Langford, new Handsome Family, new Johnathan Richman, unreleased Tim Buckley, reissued Jim Dickirson, more Bleached and Beach Slang.  Also a Halloween set including Arthur Brown, Captain Beefheart, David Thomas, and White Mystery.  I have a guest, Lane Campbell playing covers by The Band, Bruce, Bobby Bare Jr., Trip Shakespeare, Lucinda Williams, and Vetiver.  Oh yea hopefully some Soul Stirrers and a full reunion of Pentangle from the time just before Jansch and Renbourn passed. Plus a birthday request for Lionel Hampton and Rose Murphy to round it all out.  This is going to be so fun.  Tune in y'all.

LouieB

Which song was that?  It is really hard to listen to the actual music when you are doing radio, I have to cue records, log them, think of things to say, and not panic when equipment doesn't work as planned.  Just curious.  

Can look for the Mott Song sometime.  This week is too full.

LouieB

The girls reading the news I meant to say.

Another tune for you - If You Think You're Groovy (PP Arnold and The Small Faces)

Okay, early warning on tomorrow's Midday Mixtape Show.  12-2 PM central on www.wnur.org or Tunein.  This will air live 11/8.  

This week I am doing more new (or newly released) music from David Nagler's Chicago project, Jon Langford, Jonathan Richman, Luther Dickinsen, Handsome Family, Tim Buckley, and Pentangle, Also playing some crazy singles from Argent, LInda Jones, Bobby Blue Bland, More from Beach Slang and Bleached, because I taped them last week.  Political songs for election day from Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, and Blind Alfred Reed. Oh yea and the first version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game for the Cubs; this one from 1908, last time they won the World Series. And for no special reason a bit of gospel from the original Soul Stirrers (pre-Sam Cooke.)

If you tune in at 11 AM I am going to spin jazz by Dave Brubeck, John McLaughlin, Sam Most, Duke Ellington, Randy Weston, Johnny Griffin, Barrett Deems, and Dave Douglas.  

As usual, this should be fun.

LouieB

No tomorrow. Hey all tune me in for Cohen, Russell, songs about Satellites by Wilco, the Replacements and Lou Reed, Mike's requests, Cheryl's Going Home (two versions), Numero Soul, Gil Scott-Heron, and a bunch of comfort songs after a brutal election season.  www.wnur.org or Tunein after noon on November 15 central time.  Come on, it will be fun.

LouieB 

For a few weeks I played  several PF Sloan, so maybe in a coming week.....

Meanwhile tune in today November 22 at 12 Central for more musical comfort food and some strange stuff.  More Gil Scott-Heron, Mavis Staples, Pentangle, Tom Waits, lots of Mose Allison and Sharon Stone, more Jennifer Warnes, Numero Eccentric Soul, Lennie Tristano and other crazy stuff.  Always fun, I think.

LouieB

I'm on the Midday Mixtape show again tomorrow November 29 wnur.org  Going to be playing old and new Alejandro Escovedo, classic punk, country traveling songs, my black Friday purchases (Dylan and Bangles), plus the Stones, MC5, Judy Garland and maybe Steve Reich.  It all depends on how much time I have.  Tune in if you can on TuneIn or the internet.  Thanks.

LouieB

Hey folks. I am on twice tomorrow December 3. First at 7-9 AM doing a mixtape show with a couple of my music friends from Chicago. They have picked out material from a wide variety of artists you all know. Wake up and be surprised.  Also I am doing a three hour Classical Show at 1-4 PM featuring the music of Steve Reich. This is very cool stuff so don't miss it.  Remember this all comes to you on TuneIn (WNUR) or www.wnur.org or if you are in Chicago, 89.3  These shows are going to be great so if you like modern classical and slightly drone based material check me out at 1, but if you like hearing a bunch of great songs from familiar and maybe not so familiar artists check me out at 7, all central time.  I will be back on next Tuesday as well, since I Missed this week due to a slight health problem.

LouieB

Hey tune me in tomorrow December 13 for more craziness on www.wnur.org with "blind musicians, punk rock, classic country, some alt.country, Robbie Fulks, Iggy Pop, Coleman Hawkins, and the Beach Boys.  Pretty crazy.

LouieB

My blurb on this week's Show

Classical and beyond airs at 1-4 PM central time, this Saturday, December 17,  2016 at 1-4 PM central time on www.wnur.org, 89.3, or Tunein. Cohosts John Martin and Lou Berkman will be spinning classical style and actual classical Christmas music from various musical periods. This will include performances by the Wicker Park Choral Singers, Jessye Norman, Elizabeth Schwartzkoff, Thijs Van Leer, Anonymous 4, Philadelphia Orchestra, and Elly Ameling among many others. This will be a festive tour through many periods, languages, and styles of music from the Renaissance to the modern era performed by orchestras, choirs, soloists, and small ensembles. Get in the holiday spirit and enjoy the music and repartee.

LouieB

Before I forget, My show tomorrow 12/20 will be Christmas/Chanukah music.  Tune in for all your faves on www.wnur.org at 12-2 PM Central time.  You know the usual and the unusual in rock, pop, blues, country, and jazz.  Should be fun.

LouieB