LouieB on the Radio - All shows

My December 27, 2016 show (12-2  PM Central time on www.wnur.org or Tunein) will be a slapdash affair with cuts from recently acquired records of different sorts including brand new material, older material, and various odds and ends. I've been too busy to put together a cogent show, but it should be interesting none the less.  New material from Thrill Jockey label, new Leonard Cohen and plenty of old country, soul, jazz, and folk.  Just tune in and find out what I end up with.  Edit - Also a special segment on the late Alphonse Mouzon who died December 26.  

LouieB

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world lost many famous musical figures this year, but lost in shuffle are the classical composers and performers who graced concert stages.  So on Classical and Beyond this Saturday December 31, 2016 we will be featuring works or performances by some of these figures including Pierre Boulez.  Tune in at 1-4 PM on wnur.org for our take on the losses from 2016.  This is actually much more interesting than you may think. 

LouieB

Sorry if you tuned in to the Classical show, but we were preempted by Women's Basketball.

BUT January 3 at 12-2 central time (www.wnur.org or 89.3 or TuneIn) I am going to joined by Chicago rocker Alex White (White Mystery and Ms Alex White and the Red Orchestra) to spin 45s.  We will be playing old rock, soul, pop, and garage rock for two straight hours.  Should be a really fun time with friendly banter and lost of talk about the rock life style. Don't miss this one.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Back on again today January 17 at 12 PM Central time.  See above for how to do that. Will be playing new Bash and Pop, Solomon Burke, female soul/funk, Jeff Parker, Paul Simon, Donnie McCaslin (with and without Bowie), and lots of fun stuff.  WNUR.org.  Join me.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Back on with Midday Mixtape tomorrow January 31, 2017 CT at 12 after the news.  Lots of good stuff including Bragg and Joe Henry, Jeff Parker, end of life music, anti-fascist tunes, Alex Chilton on Ork records and who knows what else.  Gonna be fun in these dark hours. WNUR 89.3

LouieB

February 4 at 1-4 PM central time my cohost John and I are playing two hours of music from John Zorn's Book of Angels book 2 on Classical and Beyond.  If you like what Zorn does don't miss this.  There is music from a whole ton of cool musicians on 16 CDs (out of a total of 30).  We don't own them all but they veer into rock, jazz, improv, modern classical, ensemble, solo, etc.  wnur.org or 89.3 in Chicago WNUR.  

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Back on with the Midday Mixtape show Tuesday February 14 12-2 central on wnur.org or Tunein. 

This week I am doing a Valentine and Black History Month show along with some fiddle music, poetry, jazz, end of life albums.  As always it should be fun. I'll give more details if anyone is interested, otherwise tune in and be surprised.

LouieB

If you missed my last show on Tuesday, you missed a good one (I'm pretty self critical.)  But you can catch me doing Classical and Beyond on February 18 at 1-4 PM Central time with newish material from Christopher Rouse, Kevin Puts, John Adams, Thomas Lloyd, Kaija Saariaho, Mason Bates and Michael Delaria. Also a short opening piece from a much longer work from Tyshawn Sorey.  wnur.org or Tunein or 89.3.  

Just curious if anyone ever listens.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I am back on wnur.org tomorrow at 12 central time February 28 with a Midday Mixtape show dedicated to Black History Month. Look to hear mostly familiar artist including an entire segment of spoken word material.  There should be a few things I play you may not have heard before.  Should be fun and enlightening.

LouieB

I'm doing a Classical and Beyond slot today March 4 at 1-4 PM Central time wnur.org.  It's going to be some odds and ends because WNUR is doing a fundraiser. Tune me in, think about throwing a few bucks our way. Thanks.

LouieB

Early warning on what should be an interesting show featuring the work of Julius Eastman.  I did not know much about this composer/performer until recently, but Eastman was an African American who never had any of his own work released during his lifetime, but has had a three CD and single CD released in the past 10 years. He died in his forties and was a minimalist, although not in the same sense as Glass and Reich.  His compositions have a particular political bent as well; with references to both his race and his sexual orientation.  The show is this Saturday March 11 from 1-4 PM CT on wnur.org or Tunein or 89.3 if you are in Chicago.  

Another early warning, I am also on two times next week. Tuesday from 12-2 PM for the Midday Mixtape Show will be an all female artist show for Women's History Month and then I will be doing a similar show on Thursday at 10-12 PM with Rosie (formerly Tweedysgurl) on her show, the Devil's Radio on wdbx.org out of Carbondale.  More on that later.

(And I did a jazz show earlier this week, which I did not post here. Busy week.)

LouieB

Okay so this is the notice. Doing women in rock and folk by myself this Tuesday March 14 from 12-2 CT on WNUR.org.  It's gonna be fun. I'll be doing women in blues, jazz, country, and other stuff with my daughter Rosie (remember her) on wdbx.com on WDBX out of Carbondale on Thursday night at 10-12 PM.  Rosie and I always have fun.  Tune in for father daughter repartee.  Haven't done a show in awhile. Seriously, check us out, even if you are sick of me.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Double header coming at you March 25th.  At 7-9 AM (wnur.org) I am spinning early music including classic blues women, country blues, traditional American music, early acoustic recordings, and jazz.  This will be fun if you like early music.  At 1-4 PM Central we are doing a modern classical show with female composers for Women's History Month.  Check it all out on wnur.org. Remember this is Central time.  

LouieB

This is poetry week on Midday Mixtape Show Tuesday March 28, at 12.2. PM Central.  wnur.org

My old friend, Joe Howard, who is also a poet and I are going to air spoke word performances with an emphasis on poetry from Joe, Whitman, Emerson, Kerouac, Dylan, Dickinson, Thomas, and Snyder as well as more contemporary figures such as Stanley Kunitz, Seamus Heaney, Elizabeth Bishop, Mary Oliver, and Wendell  Bailey.  How about Lord Buckley doing "The Raven"?

Should be fun.   

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Before I forget, I am back on the MIdday Mixtape Show this Tuesday April 11 at 12-2 central time on wnur.org or 89.3 if you happen to be in Chicago.  Back to the old format for a week playing new music (Valerie June, Old 97s, Brokeback, Lee Fields, Josh Abrams, etc.), old music (Coleman Hawkins, Elvis Presley, Canray Fontenot, Louis Jordan, Ramsey Louis, Sippie Wallace, and many others), plus assorted silly stuff (Lord Buckley, Harmonicats, Mermaid Avenue from the Klezmatics, etc.)  Tune in for my crazy commentary, occasional miscues; almost all on vinyl. Come on - it's all fun.

LouieB

The Mixtape Show is back for an early edition on Saturday April 15, 2017 at 7-9 AM CT on www.wnur.org, 89.3 FM or TuneIn. On this show DJ LouieB swill host Megan Powell and Chris Perry (since we had so much fun the last two times) to spin some of their favorite music both new and old. Expect to hear well known musicians such as Patti Smith, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Tom Rush, Chuck Berry, Eddie Hendricks and Antonio Carlos Jobim; along with less famous musicians such as The Veldt, Eryn Allen Kane, The Apartments, Nikki Sudden, Laura Marling, and the Dust Bunnies. Not only will we play Chris and Megan's selection, but also have lively and informative discussion. So set your alarms, grab some coffee, and join us for some early mixtape magic. 

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Back again this week on April 25th at 12-2 PM Central time wnur.org

This week is more sorts of odds and ends including some segments on jump blues and western Swing.  Look for Klaus Nomi, Pete Seeger, the Hi-Los, Sharon Jones, On Fillmore, and whatever else strikes me as something to mess up the radio waves.  Requests?

Should be fun as always.  I think the news is on at noon so 12:15 is a good time to tune in.

LouieB

Back at you again tomorrow May 6 at 1-4 PM Central time (wnur.org as always).  This time it is Classical and Beyond with Film music by John Zorn. This is pretty cool stuff and you will not want to miss it.  Hope you enjoy.

LouieB

Back at you tomorrow May 9, 2017 with a Midday Mixtape show on wnur.org, Tunein, or 89.3 FM at 12-2 PM Central time. This show will be a discussion with Ben Remsen, who has a website called Now Is that features interviews with musicians commenting on music, something like the Downbeat Blindfold test.  The musicians we will be playing clips from include Josh Berman, Jaimie Branch, Dave Rempis, Olivia Block, MIke Reed, Tomeka Reid, Jason Stein and maybe Hamid Drake.  Tune in for some interesting conversation on these musicians on their influences and opinions on other musicians.  It should be fun.

LouieB

Don't forget I have a 90 minute Jazz Show on May 16 at 730-900 AM central time on wnur.org or TuneIn or 89.3 in Chicago.  Yes it's early, but I will e playing the Coltrane's (Alice and John), Monk, Miles, Cannonball, Mike Reed, Tim Berne, Eight Bold Souls, Dina Washington, Johnny Otis, Louis Jordan, Red Allen, Clifford Jordan and John Gilmore, Cohn, Perkins, and Kamuca, and maybe some more Alice Coltrane's tapes.  Should be a fun early morning commute.  Check me out.

LouieB

It's time for the Devil's Radio with DJs RosieB and LouieB on WDBX.org from Carbondale May 18th at 10-12 PM central time. Get ready for a whole bunch of new music brought in by Lou (or new to him) and some fun intergenerational patter. Listen in for music from Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Nico, Electric Flag, Luna, the Cure, On Fillmore, Sharon Jones, Nikki Sudden, the Grateful Dead, etc. Who knows what we'll play. Maybe not even us until we put it on. Should be a late night gas.

Back to Chicago for more Midday Mixtape Show tomorrow on wnur.org (not on 89.3 since the transmitter will be off I guess for roof repairs) at 12 PM Central.  KInd of a mish-mash of more Record Store Day releases (Lou Reed, Nico, Electric Flag, Luna, The Cure, Sunshine Nuggets), some soul (Major Harris, The Staples, Allen Toussaint, Ann Peebles, The Dells), plus The Notekilers, Eubie Blake, Amacher, The Monkees, and maybe the Grateful Dead at Ithaca/Cornell.  Should be fun. Check me out if you haven't before.  

LouieB