Who would he have to insult?

With all due respect, folks, this thread really isn't intended as a serious political thread, just a bemused look at how far The Donald can apparently go without turning away his fan base. It really has, and does, amaze(d) me that he can say the things he says, as a genuine (?) candidate.

Anyway, please keep your deeper political thoughts over in the political thread...they are an interesting debate in themselves and deserve to be read in a more serious context. Thanks. :thumbup

I understand the context, and I will keep my deeper political thoughts in the proper thread.  However, I do want to say this about Trump and I think it is important (and then I will be done, I promise).  

This thread and this comment really exemplifies what is wrong with the way we think about Trump.  To many, he is a joke candidate, out for publicity, on par with Joe Walsh in 1980, or Randy of the Redwoods in 1992 or Wakka Flakka Flame this year.  But there is a large voting segment of the GOP base who see him as viable and acceptable candidate.  He is filled with vile hateful rhetoric.  He is message is resonating with a large group of people.  This is problematic for our nation.  It is dangerous for us to think of him as a joke.  He is clearly not a joke to many.  He will not get the nomination, of that I am sure.  But those people who believe what he says will still be out there, believing in his lies and hate.  

I think it's lights out for The Donald if he insults Chris Kyle. Yes, he's another dead person, but one who stirs up hypocritical thought processes in his defenders. 

"You can't question or knock Chris Kyle because he fought for his country. Stop talking to me you coward!"

same person "I love Trump because he speaks his mind!" 

I don't think that I have to go into why I picked this guy on this message board, but for those not in the know he had a funny way of stretching the truth to feed his own "legend". 

Yea, sorry I didn't see someone else say the same thing.  Insulting Jesus seems to be the norm anymore.  But I suppose everyone gets to have their own personal Jesus, so the bigoted, homophobic, violent, intolerant, xenophobic, gun totting Jesus seems to be the norm anymore.

LouieB

I understand the context, and I will keep my deeper political thoughts in the proper thread.  However, I do want to say this about Trump and I think it is important (and then I will be done, I promise).  

This thread and this comment really exemplifies what is wrong with the way we think about Trump.  To many, he is a joke candidate, out for publicity, on par with Joe Walsh in 1980, or Randy of the Redwoods in 1992 or Wakka Flakka Flame this year.  But there is a large voting segment of the GOP base who see him as viable and acceptable candidate.  He is filled with vile hateful rhetoric.  He is message is resonating with a large group of people.  This is problematic for our nation.  It is dangerous for us to think of him as a joke.  He is clearly not a joke to many.  He will not get the nomination, of that I am sure.  But those people who believe what he says will still be out there, believing in his lies and hate.

Don't forget the ficus plant Michael Moore ran in 2004. :)

• 2 weeks later...

While not on the scale of a US presidency candidate, the former mayor of Toronto was a populist bully who appealed to a small but vocal segment of the electorate - so much so that Rob Ford was elected as the mayor of one of the largest cities in NA. You know the rest  - crack addict/gang member confidant and more. Folks do listen to the message - a train wreck that you cannot turn away from, amusing at a distance but devastating for the people of Toronto and, hopefully not, eventually the people of the United States.