Now Reading in 2016

29BOOKBROWNSTEIN-master180.jpg

Finished the Chrissie Hynde memoir, now onto the Carrie Brownstein one.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

My daughter is an English major at University of Glagow (first year). Here is her reading list. Basically they read one of these per week. I'm trying to read along with her, fortunately I have read many already or I would never keep up:

[ ] Daniel Defoe- Robinson Crusoe

[ ] Mary Shelley- Frankenstein 1818

[ ] Charlotte Bronte- Jane Eyre

[ ] Charles Dickens- Great Expectations

[ ] Mark Twain- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

[ ] Virginia Woolf- Orlando

[ ] Thomas Pynchon- The Crying of Lot 49

[ ] Leila Aboulela- The Translator

"Stories I Tell Myself. Growing Up with Hunter S. Thompson" by Juan Thompson

Yep, HST's son spilling the beans, so to speak, on his old man. It's an ok read, nothing earth shattering. The kid dropped acid with his mom when he was 14. That's an odd parental practice but it was the '70s so.....

51YsEQ5LNEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Wicked River-The Mississippi When It Last Ran Wild" by L Sandlin. It aint no Huck Finn fairytale, that's for sure.

I just finished listening in the car to all of Michael Connelly's stuff, which was a perfect combo of entertaining but not too cerebral (I can't do dense audiobooks and focus on driving). Need a new author to try in a similar vein.

I just finished listening in the car to all of Michael Connelly's stuff, which was a perfect combo of entertaining but not too cerebral (I can't do dense audiobooks and focus on driving). Need a new author to try in a similar vein.

All of it?? That's a lot of stuff. 

Consider  David Baldacci or, one of my favorites (and still a current judge in rural VA), Martin Clark.

http://martinclark.com/

"Chasing The Scream" by J. Hari. It's about America and its' disastrous self-imposed global 100 year war on drugs and viable solutions to what aint working today. Great book, I read it last weekend.

24book-cover-master180-v3.jpg

Ha! My brother in law wrote that (and I'm thanked in the credits at the end)!  Let me know what you think!  

Really, really liked this. I had read Unruh's The Plains Across back in college, and this was a cool modern take on the subject. Fun, informative, heck I even shed a tear at the end. And I saw that the author thanked two of his sisters and their husbands in the credits at the end - one of which was you, I'm guessing! Pretty cool.

I highly recommend this one.

Really, really liked this. I had read Unruh's The Plains Across back in college, and this was a cool modern take on the subject. Fun, informative, heck I even shed a tear at the end. And I saw that the author thanked two of his sisters and their husbands in the credits at the end - one of which was you, I'm guessing! Pretty cool.

I highly recommend this one.

Glad to hear that you (and smells like flowers) liked it.  When they were doing the trip I set up a facebook page (now just called Rinker Buck) and they would send in reports and pictures from the trip.  There are some great photos of the wagons and mules.

And if you liked that book, I'd recommend his first book Flight of Passage.  It's another crazy adventure story.  When he was 15 and his older brother was 17 they fixed up a Piper Cub and flew it from New Jersey to California.  

^^^ yeah, I'm reading that one now as well ^^^

Its good but its more of a retread than presenting anything that I didn't already know.

I thought David Browne dealt with the information about the late 60's/early 70's communes nicely - what it was like living in the area during that period, especially Mickey Hart's ranch/commune. I don't think I would have wanted to hang out at Hart's ranch during the early to mid 70's.

He seemed to interview a lot more women for the book, too.

All of the above was kinda new to me or at least presented in a new way.